“Wow! Exceeded All Expectations”
Review of Hotel Funivia

Hotel Funivia
Ranked #5 of 41 Hotels in Bormio
Glenwood, Maryland
“Wow! Exceeded All Expectations”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

No question that Hotel Funivia lives up to its tag line "Stelvio Experience". They truly provide an all around experience that you will not soon forget. Hotel Funivia was the first leg of a cycling trip I planned for my 50th birthday that included Switzerland and France. After the trip was completed, I wished that I had spent the entire trip in Bormio at the Hotel Funivia. Of course not knowing if I would ever be able to return for such a trip, I had to ride the epic climbs near Bourg d’Oisains, but if I am lucky enough to return it will be to Italy. Everything (the roads, the scenery, the food, but especially the people) was superior in Bormio. From the time I first contacted Hotel Funivia to begin planning for this trip (nearly 2 years prior to my stay), they were responsive and helpful. I must have seemed a pest with all of my inquiries, but Anna was always prompt, courteous, helpful, and patient with her responses. When we arrived near midnight because of travel delays, Anna was there waiting to welcome us with a smile. Our bedrooms and baths were clean, modern, and comfortable. Even though Hotel Funivia describes all of the cycling exclusive services provided on their website, I honestly expected these services to be a bit hyped, but I soon found that Hotel Funivia was the real deal. I probably shouldn’t say this, but if Hotel Funivia had only provided half of the services they do, I would likely have still left happy and satisfied. I truly think that some of the things they do aren't necessary, but they do them and your experience is oh so enhanced as a result. Having your kit washed and ready for the next day, delicious tea-time buffet, van supported rides, these are just a few of the little extras that make the stay special. The fact Daniele and his staff are waiting for you at the top every climb with a high-five and words of encouragement says everything about their dedication to your experience at the Hotel Funivia. They don’t need to be there, but they are (happily). I was one average cyclist there for 5 days out of the thousands of guest who pass through over the years, but they still make you feel special. For a few days you are part of the Hotel Funivia family of staff and guests, and you will have great memories for the rest of your life. Great job Hotel Funivia, I hope that I can return someday.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed July 23, 2013

My wife and I visited this hotel last year, and enjoyed it so much that we had to make stopover even though our plans was originally to be in France only. The rides that the hotel organises are extensive and challenging but their guides always ensures that we are never left behind and infact well looked after. At the end of the day, we also look forward to great food and wines :) Most importantly, the genuine warmth and the hospitality of all their staff (from reception, to restaurant, to bike guides, and especially the owners) completes a totally enjoyable cycling holiday.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank patchez01
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed July 20, 2013

Family of 4 stayed for cycling and sightseeing holiday in late June/early July 2013. We had an amazing time (we extended our stay). The hire bikes were high quality and a godsend when BA lost our bikes for several days in transit. The food was plentiful and lovely, the service in all areas was outstanding, and the free cycling clothes laundry service means you can turn up with very little kit. This is cyclists heaven - in addition to the tough well known local climbs, there are lovely rides for other days. The guided rides were fun . Everything at the hotel was smooth and every day a pleasure. The rooms are comfortable without being luxurious, and were kept clean. WiFi slow. If you are a cyclist looking for an Italian alpine experience - this is it.

Room Tip: First or second floor facing their garden/back of hotel, but it was not noisy anywhere when we staye...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Dianna P
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 20, 2013

It's really, genuinely hard to imagine where the experience that this hotel provides for cyclists could be improved. I came here with a group of 8 friends in early June for a long weekend. The hotel by itself is of a good standard, unremarkable perhaps - but the hotel staff, whether involved in the cycling operation or not were unfailingly friendly, welcoming and polite. Nothing was too much trouble, and it felt as if we were being welcomed into their home.

For cyclists, the facilities were superb: overnight laundry service, fantastic post-ride afternoon tea, vehicle support if you need it (one of our party was stranded on the wrong side of the Stelvio with a blown tub and was rescued within 20 minutes); superbly equipped garage/workshop for assembling your bike, with help on hand from Daniele and team if you needed it; organised rides if you want them, good advice on route choice if you don't (proving critical for us in early June since the passes had barely opened); the team even drive ahead of your ride and take souvenir photos for you. Just perfect.

If you know the Alps then you will know why Bormio is such a great base for cycling. If not, then it's worth pointing out that two of the worlds great cycling climbs are literally within metres of the door: turn left for Stelvio, turn right for the Gavia.

A word on the food - I have bad memories of full-board at hotels so was somewhat dismayed to find that this was what the guy organising our party had arranged. No worries - the food was of an extremely high standard, I am certain we would have fared worse picking restaurants at random in the town, and I think I've only very, very rarely (and at great expense) eaten better Northern Italian food. Even the coffee machine for the breakfast buffet turned out top quality espresso and macchiato!

Nothing to do with the hotel - but if visiting for cycling, be sure to bring a wide range of clothing options. I was caught in a shower in a descent back to the hotel and was shilled to the bone - a bizarre sensation when the sun is out in the valley and the air temperature is 25 degrees!

1 Thank Simon_Kenyon
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 17, 2013

7 of us travelled over from the UK for an Alpine cycling holiday and had an amazing time at the Funivia. The cycling service was excellent (daily guides, great rental bikes, free laundry service and incredible mountains). The hotel standard was excellent, the food great and the staff really helpful. We had a room on the first floor, which looked like it had recently been done out and was a bit quieter as it faced the back of the hotel, rather that on to the road.
There really aren't any faults I could think of, some people found the wifi a bit slow but that's really the most I can in terms of constructive criticism.
Highly recommended for all cyclists looking to challenge themselves on the big hills!

Room Tip: The back of the hotel is quieter. The rooms on the first floor look like they've recently been d...
1 Thank Matt W
NZ
Reviewed July 15, 2013

I stayed at this hotel with half board with a group of 11 friends for 5 nights in June 2013. We wanted to ride the Gavia/Stelvio and Mortirolo, and so were on a bike package. Everything about the hotel is fantastic, but what really made our visit was the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff. All were truly excellent. The evening meals and breakfasts were wonderful, and delicious pastries are provided in the bar for when you return after a ride. it is perhaps one of the best value hotels I have ever stayed in. The bike room and laundry service are absolutely top notch. I am already planning my next trip to Italy to ride the Alps.

Reviewed July 12, 2013

This is/was really the ultimate Stelvio experience!
The location of the hotel is perfect, ideal start for climbing the Stavio, Gavia, Mortirolo, Bormio 2000 or visit the lakes.
From waking up to going back to bed everything is arranged for you. When you come to your table for breakfast, the sandwiches for the coming day are already there, you van join a guided bike trip, or ride any of the routes by yourself. After a hard day you arrive back in the hotel and a "big" snack is waiting for you, from cheese to cakes and drinks...everything is there. You just drop your viking clothes in a basket and the next morning they are freshly washed and ready to be put to the test.
A big 10/10, for the complete package!
Thanks to everybody from Hotel Funivia for THE ULTIMATE STELVIO EXPERIENCE