“Value For Money”
Review of Hotel I Larici

Hotel I Larici
Ranked #22 of 23 Hotels in Bardonecchia
Reviewed March 16, 2013

My friends and I have just returned from a week's skiing in Bardonecchia, staying at the hotel I Larici. We had a great time and would happily recommend it to anyone who wants a week's accommodation at a reasonable price.

Following an hour and twenty minute transfer from Turin, we were dropped off outside a pretty building, well worthy of its location in a ski resort. On arrival we were greeted by friendly and hospitable staff who remained so throughout the duration of our stay. Contrary to some of the mixed reviews you might have read, the food was plentiful and generally very tasty and the rooms were clean and tidy and contained showers you only wished you had at home. The open plan lounge and bar area, albeit a little dated, was ideal as a meeting point or for early evening drinks.

My only criticism of the hotel is the charging policy for drinks. You cannot pay for drinks at the bar, meaning that you end up building a tab over the course of the week. On settling my drinks bill on the last evening, to my surprise, I discovered that not only were we being charged for the wine provided with dinner, it was almost always being charged to the same one or two rooms, regardless of who had ordered it.

Drinks debacle apart, we had a great time and would happily return. Bardonecchia is much prettier than it is made out to be, although it is as quiet as reviewers have suggested. The skiing is also better than I had anticipated, with some excellently groomed tree-lined runs and some amazing views of the Dolomites. Yes, you will undoubtedly ski the same runs over the course of the week, particularly if, like us, you spend most of your time on the slopes on the Campo Smith side of town. Even though our party contained some relatively experienced skiers, no-one seemed to get bored, and although we ventured out to Jefferau for half a day, we found ourselves returning to Campo Smith's warmer and prettier slopes.

To summarise, the I Larici is a nice hotel in a nice town with some nice skiing. Even though it was half-term, we lost count of the times we had pistes to ourselves. If you're looking for a peaceful week's skiing without the queues, the prices or the pretentiousness of some of the glitzier resorts, then Bardonecchia could be right up your street.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank MJA-Rdale

Reviewed February 15, 2013

I found a decent Neilson deal for a weeks ski and a half-board stay at the I'Larici in Bardi. I'd never been before but heard good things, and I thought I couldn't go wrong with food in Italy. Well you can. You can go very, very, wrong as my dining experience at I'Larici proved.

The hotel itself is fine; it's in a great location, just 10 minutes stroll from the main lift and 5 minutes into the small town. The staff are fine, polite and accommodating (not that I really asked for much). The shower was great - hot and powerful. The room was... well, a 3 star hotel room - safe, wardrobes, small TV with MTV playing the same 10 songs (always including a Rhianna song) on rotation day after day after day. The room was spotlessly clean upon return every evening and was kept warm. The only objection was that the single bed was very small and the mattress was very, very hard - not a great sleep! But the thing that really killed the experience was the food. I can honestly say, without exaggeration, it is the worst food I can ever remember being served in a public arena - and I've been to Bulgaria and Cambodia.

Imagine, you've had a great day's skiing on the wonderfully manicured Bardonnecchia slopes. You've enjoyed flying down their Olympic slope and had a decent lunch in the Chesal 1805 bar/restaurant at Melezet. After enjoying a cheap cocktail (Vodka Sour recommended) or a watery happy hour beer at Cipo's and handing in your equipment, you're refreshed, but comfortably fatigued and looking forward to the delicious Italian cuisine you're expecting at I'Larici. Instead, you get a dollop of mash, a spoonful of tepid over-boiled green beans and an unseasoned, roasted chicken leg that looks like it's come off a starved piece of pygmy poultry. What an absolute downer! You're so disappointed and still so hungry that you end up having a beer in the hotel and going straight to that firm rectangle of springs and upholstery that is your bed.

Now imagine this scenario for a week, by the time you get to the 'Pizza Party' night, you're desperate. You're thinking, "They can't go wrong with pizza - it's Italy for chrissakes!" Well my friends, they can go wrong with pizza. Dinner is served between 7.30 and 8.30pm. I arrived at 8.20 to find what looked like the left overs from a student party - cold, lame, bits of pizza that, by this point, I just couldn't stomach. And when the wonderfully camp waiter shrieked "Hey' you're late!" I felt it was time to leave before I lost my temper. That night I went to sleep on a stomach that was empty apart from the two and a half glasses of red wine I downed to numb the pain of sleeping on a rock hard mattress.

So yeah, the I'Larici is decent as long as you don't have your food there. Coffee and croissants in the morning are ok though. They also have a small gym in the basement and a place to put your ski gear. In the gym there is a jacuzzi. It's empty. Apparently you can fill it with water use it for 30 minutes for a mere €15. Or is that 15 minutes for €30 - I can't remember - either way it's not really worth it.

3  Thank BeasleyGreen
Reviewed January 21, 2013

We had a half board deal which included flight, transfer, hotel and ski pass for £480. So at this price I would recommend Bardonecchia and this small friendly hotel. We stayed in the older part of the building which although a bit tired and dated is spotlessly clean with comfortable beds and our rooms all had a balcony. Food typically itallian with 4 courses and filling just right after a days skiing,the house wine which is fine at only 6 euros a litre. All fantastically served with a smile by lovely Angelo. Only a 2 minite walk to the bus stop direct to the piste and at max a 10 min walk back after a apre ski at Cipos bar.
Although perfectly acceptable the few small improvements that would could be better for us would have been a warmer lounge and dining room it was chilly and although there is a wonderful open fire we were not able to have it alight. We would have liked a beer on tap and a bath as the jacuzzi doesnt work although this and the sauna is at extra charge although we were not aware of this and is costly at 20 euros an hour and part of this is the time to heat it, and although the small gym is free.

Room Tip: The older building is warmer.
3  Thank dee w
Reviewed January 13, 2013

i would recommend larici if you are on a budget and are not particularly fussy about getting an amazing breakfast and dinner every day. the breakfasts were average and the dinners were hit and miss but at least one of the three courses would be nice. the rooms were fine - by no means 5 star but had nice comfy beds and decent shower. it's approx 15 minute brisk walk to the nearest slopes or 5 mins on the bus so not too far. the staff (angelo in particular) were great. for the price it was good overall.

2  Thank Ashley M
Reviewed November 28, 2012

Cute little hotel. The room was clean and the staff friendly and helpful. Food was good and I had a really good time there. If I go back to Bardonecchia one day, I'll definitely choose Hotel I Larici again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank Nerea81_Dublin
Reviewed February 27, 2012

Just got back from a fantastic week in Bardonecchia.

The hotel is quite modest, some would say slightly dated. So when you first arrive, you smile at the mismatch of colours, but as you stay there, you realise that actually, it's really homely. The staff are lovely and could not do enough for us. They even got us ice cream in for pudding, they day after we asked if they had any. Thanks to Michaela, Stella and Luca. Michaela stood out as someone who clearly knows how to be a waiter and would show up waiter service in England. The rooms are quite basic but clean.

There is a sauna and jacuzzi in the basement, you can book these out for10 euros each for 30 minutes, so we met some people who we shared this with, so we had the sauna for the first 30 mins and the jacuzzi for the 2nd 30 and as there were 4 of us, it only cost 5 euros each for the hour.

The best part of the hotel was the food. On our first night, we were told this was a special night and we were told we were being presented with 10 different pastas, 2 per plate, we had to stop the pasta coming after 3 plates as were just so full. And then on Friday evening, it was pizza evening, where they just kept bringing out dfifferent pizzas to try. The food was lovely, I only tried one thing I didn't like the whole week, and dinner was always plentiful and served with a smile.

The hotel is a little walk from the bus stop, going downhill on the way out, which takes you straight to Campo Smith. If you want to go to Jafferau instead, you just go down and across the road and around the corner a little, so not far.

Coming back is uphill though, so best stay at El Cipos for some apres ski to help get you back up the hill. Last ski bus is 5.30pm, I believe.

We met some amazing people in Bardonecchia. Thanks to our Neilson Reps, James and Sarah who were fantastic fun and to Maddie, Ian and the Essex Boys, Ryan, Craig and Pete for making it a fantastic week. I now have a sore throat and husky voice from all the singing on Friday in El Cipo.

Thanks,
Pat

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Iloveholidays041
Reviewed February 26, 2012

Having just returned from my ski holiday and decided to stay at the I Larici after our last stay, it was so different I thought the manager/owner had moved on. He had not but his staffing level had been reduced, this has a knock on effect as below.

We have just spent a week here and dissapointed is not the word. They seem to rely on only two members of staff to do all. In the morning Stella puts out the breakfast, serves teas, coffee etc. then she also cleans all the rooms and keeps smiling. The hotel needs quite a bit of TLC as lots of things, furnishings and bathroom areas aqre looking really tired.

Afternoon and evening events are looked after by Micheala, he is a find and a half, but how can he be expected to prepare the antipasti, take our orders for second course, main course then desert, which he serves, clears away each course and finishes off deserts for presentation. He also takes drinks orders through the evening. He does keep smiling through, though how is beyond me. The downside was that the hotel was full, dinner started at 7.30 and if you were lucky you managed to leave the restaurant by 10 This does not leave a lot of time to join in other activities, unless you forgo your dinner. The food was not of the same standard as our last visit which was a bit of a let down. It was not bad, but not as good as last time.

Room Tip: High floors have less noise through people traffic
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends