“Hotel Jafferau - A disaster! The worst hotel we ever stayed in!”
Review of Hotel Jafferau

Hotel Jafferau
Ranked #23 of 23 Hotels in Bardonecchia
Reviewed January 2, 2013

We have just returned from a six day stay at Hotel Jafferau. What a disgusting experience! We had no water all evening on the 30th and 31st December and on the 1st January. After a day of skiing, one looks forward to a warm shower but at the Jafferau this does not happen! The food is so lousy that we preferred to starve ourselves than eat their food. The director does not speak a word of English - a must when in the hospitality industry! A plate of yukkie soup delivered to the room cost Euro25! Although the brochure in the room states that breakfast opens at 7.30a.m., the kitchen does not open before 8. There is no food or snacks to buy throughout the day and lunch and dinner are a set menu of generally inedible stuff which we do not call food. When we tried to complain to the proprietor, he was arrogant and indifferent. The list is endless. Our advice is DO NOT USE HOTEL JAFFERAU - EVER!!!

Room Tip: Do not use Hotel Jafferau unless you want your holiday ruined.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank JoseanneG

Reviewed December 29, 2012

Room: new, modern, excellent views, clean. 21" TV is a bit of a disappointment, but hey, we came for ski, not for TV.
Staff: very very very friendly and warm, though some struggle with English.
Food: Not gourmet, but good enough.

Location: excellent ski in ski out, adjacent to lifts. But variety of slopes is better in the other part of Bardonecchia. Hotel is secluded, some 15 min drive to the town with hotel shuttle (easily available though).

We came mid December and while making the reservation they didn't mention the ski lifts start only on our departure date. So we had to take the shuttle to the near ski area every day. I think they should have said something. But on the hand the hotel was practically empty so we got a real personal treatment from the staff.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed March 10, 2012

I do not advise to go to Jafferau hotel.
The only good thing is location for skiers.
Bad food,especially breakfast! Dinner for 30 euros!
Sofa bed in rooms,no bed!
There was no chance to contact hotel for 3 days by phone.
Smoke smell in corridors!
Sick lady in children room.My kid got sick.
Stayed in march 2012

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank MoscowKvik
Reviewed February 24, 2012

We have just got back from a week at the Hotel Jafferau, which I would highly recommend. The staff were outstanding, particularly reception and the courtesy bus driver. Getting there after the cable car shuts down (16:45) leads to an exciting experience. Reception, who could not have been more helpful, arranged for the courtesy bus to come down for us. The hotel is a long way up. The road up was snow covered, icy, narrow and steep in places. Only a minibus can make it, as the road passes through the old village of Gleises on the way up. The houses are very close together, with the walls facing the road marked by the efforts of lesser drivers than ours.

The hotel was built in 2006. It is finished and maintained to a very good standard. The food was good and the dining room service friendly and excellent.

Maybe it was just the week we were there, but almost all the guests were families. everyone was really nice, but it meant that after dinner, there was no real "apres ski" atmosphere. You could get a drink, but you could have the lounge to yourself while all the parents were putting the kids to bed.

The really outstanding feature of the hotel is the position and views. From the balcony of our room you look down past the cable car to the first chair lift up. From the hotel, you can ski down to the bottom of the cable car, but the slope is marked for good skiers only. It is a red run, not too taxing but long, quite steep and narrow in places. The ski area up the mountain is the highest in the resort. While any experienced skier will find it not too challenging, it has the advantage of being entirely queue free, with wide open pistes and very few skiers. Once you tire of that, you have the option to go down the cable car (or ski down) and get the free bus across to Campo Smith, where most of the ski visitors to Bardonecchia are. The resort may not have the most extensive ski area (100Km of groomed runs) but there is enough to keep most leisure skiers happy enough.

After a days skiing, the sauna and pool at the hotel are a great way to recover. However, be aware that the hotel add a 25 Euro charge per person to your bill for the pool and gym, whether you use them or not.

There is Wifi across the hotel, but in the week we were there it never worked. I did once manage to log in at the reception area, but every other day even that was down. However, on the plus side, when it works, the hotel does not charge for access. It also provide two internet equipped PCs in the internet cafe area for the free use of guests. With wired connections they worked the whole time and there was rarely a wait to use them.

It was our third year in a row visiting Bardonecchia at half term. We have never lost a day skiing there. Always brilliant snow conditions and 90% of days we have spent there were blue sky cloud free. It is never crowded (if you avoid the Campo Smith chair lift at ski school start times). Party people need to be aware the town does not do "apres ski". I does have the outstanding attraction of being easily reachable by train. The TGV from Paris to Milan stops to pick up and drop off the French and Italian border police. This allows skiers to avoid letting Michael O'Leary mug them with his ridiculous baggage charges and all the other scams he has dreamt up to fleece them. If you have to give him your money, you can still save on the transfer from Turin by getting a taxi from Turin airport to the station and travelling up by train.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Dennis M
Reviewed February 4, 2012

We spent the week before Christmas at Jafferau which was early in the season but because of the height the resort was snowsure. The hotel only had 50% occupancy and we were upgraded upon request to a corner 2 bed suite at no charge. The staff was exemplary taking great pains to help us navigate the transfers from Turin by texts and phone, and then picking us up on the hotel minibus from the station.

The other reviews will confirm the layout of the hotel being perfect for minimal fuss - lifts, ski school, bunny slopes, canteen cafe, cable car, equipment storage room: all of them a stone's throw from the hotel. There are some short steep hills to climb to get back up to the hotel but these are managable.

Key things that made the difference were the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff, ski-in/out for convenience, the swimming and sauna complex for relaxation, and the most amazing pasta chef. When they found out it was an anniversary they gave us a private dining room and a dedicated waiter for the evening, which was absolutely a delightful surprise. Our 6 year old had all the childcare we could possibly want as part of the kids club. And the rooms themselves were as good as any 4 star hotel (except that you could perhaps wish for a slightly larger TV but that is being really picky about it) with a balcony and kitchenette as part of the suite.

When we mentioned we might like to try lunch in the village, they organised a minibus to send us down to a great local ristorante that they rated as having the best pizza chef (no arguments here, thanks Marian!) in town.

We are definitely going back.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed November 11, 2011

I stayed in this hotel with a group of tango dancers and ski enthusiasts in February 2011. The hotel was very clean and modern.
Most of the staff, especially the animators, were really very friendly and helpful, the food was mostly ok, sometimes good. I found the room I stayed in to be of very good quality.
Some ideas to improve the hotel which I shared with the management:
The internet access - to charge extra for Wifi in a 4 star hotel is in my humble opinion not good - I heard many people complaining about this. There is no cost to the hotel for this service apart from a minimal monthly charge ... most 4 or 5 star hotels I stay in offer this free of charge.
The emergency exit staircase: I was amazed when I mentioned to the reception staff on the second evening that the staircase was full of furniture, i.e. a blocked staircase, and received as a reply, that this was well known, had been reported and complained about by numerous previous guests, but that the management had repeatedly ignored this as an unimportant issue. I expressed clearly that if I was to find the emergency exit still blocked in 24 hrs time, I would personally inform the fire brigade and police of this shocking health and safety attitude and would ensure that this situation was corrected. I was pleased to find that this threat resulted in the necessary clearance of the staircase.
The breakfast staff: it was difficult for me to get a pot of hot water for tea in the morning. Despite daily polite requests, I always had the impression, that it was a hassle for the waiters to walk for me to the kitchen to bring me a pot of hot water. As you might well know, it is customary in the United Kingdom to serve a pot of tea rather than a small cup of tea for breakfast. One waiter, a particularly small man, argued with me (?!?!) one morning about this polite request and huffed off, saying "Madonna!!!". I found this almost unbelievable - sorry, but in no hotel anywhere in the world have I ever been refused a polite request for a pot of hot water to make myself some tea! I really think the hotel has to address such staff attitudes and teach their staff some more polite manners!
The ski pass charges: I ordered a 6 day ski pass and was issued a named pass, 6 Giorni GRUPPO_OP pass with a printed price of Euro 135. Repeated inquiries only led to the responses that the real price I had to pay was Euro175 and that the printed price of Euro 135 is a software error of the machine. Of course I didn't believe this at any point - what a ridiculous lie! But I realised that everybody in the hotel reception had been instructed to pass on this lie to all inquiring customers ...
After leaving on the last morning, I went in fact to the headoffice of the skipass organisation just opposite the train station and my assumption was confirmed: the group price for a 6 day ski pass is Euro 135! - exactly as printed on the skipass. I emailed the director - but I have not had a refund of the difference ...
The menu descriptions: It would be helpful to be more precise regarding ingredients in the menu - I do not eat pork / ham and repeatedly found out too late, that e.g. mountain cheese meant cheese rolled in ham ... nobody else at my table knew this either.
The fixed table arrangements: myself and several other guests found it very restricting, that we could only stay and eat for supper at one table for the entire week - I found this a very rigid and restrictive custom which in my opinion should be changed.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank WWBristol
Reviewed January 26, 2011

I just got back from a week at Hotel Jafferau and had an all round great time. The Hotel itself is very nice and easily worth the 4 stars. But what makes this hotel stand out from all others i have stayed in, and there have been a lot, is the attentivness and friendliness of all the staff. I would love to name them all but the kudos is equally shared among them. The one and only caveat i have about the Hotel is the difficulty getting into the town at night, and suggest that a car would be needed for some. However, with great food being served and a bar onsite it is not imperative to head into town.

On the whole, i would recommend this hotel to anyway and want to thank all the staff at the hotel for making the stay very special and rememberable.

Grazie Mille!