“Great Holiday!”

Ranked #3 of 43 Hotels in Bardolino
Bognor Regis, United Kingdom
“Great Holiday!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2012

My wife and I spent a fortnight at the Hotel du Lac late July early August this summer. This was our first visit to the Italian lakes and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. This was due in no small part to our choice of accomodation.

This hotel is tucked away behind a petrol station which makes it sound awful, but believe me, it isn't! You would never really know the filling station was there apart from when you enter or exit the hotel onto the road. Bearing in mind that the hotel backs directly onto the lake and the lovely promenade that runs to Bardolino town itself (at most a 10 minute amble) and onwards to Garda town, why would you want to exit onto the road?!

When the coach dropped us off we turned out to be the only people on it who were staying there. I admit that this, plus the sight of the petrol station, caused me a little trepidation. However, from the minute we entered the reception it was clear that my fears were unfounded. Not only was the lady on reception friendly and welcoming but the other guests passing through all seemed to have a smile on their face.

The room we were allocated was on the side of the hotel which, if you sat on the balcony, gave you a view of the lake. The room itself was of a very good standard. Nothing looked worn or tatty and there was more than ample storage space. Pool/lake towels were provided as were bathrobes and slippers. Also, importantly, for me anyway, the air conditioning was efficient (I can only take so much sunshine and heat before I have to cool off!).

As I say, the hotel backs onto the lake and as well as a verandha area behind the bar and restaurant there is what they call "the beach". This is a shingle area within the hotel grounds with lots of sunbeds and parasols as well as various trees and other shrubbery which is handy if you need a bit of shade. This is raked over, the vegetation watered and the sun beds wiped down religiously every day. The first week we were there, the hotel wasn't quite as busy and there was no problem geting sunbeds. The second week was more busy and there was a little bit of sunbed reservation going on, but it wasn't ridiculous and you could still usually get somewhere to sit. Step out of the gates to the beach and cross the promenade (checking both ways for bicycles!) and you walk straight down into the lake. The lake is fine to swim in and very refreshing. Initially, it is a little disconcerting, whilst you are paddling about, to have a duck swim past you, but you soon get used to it and the ducks seem completely unpeturbed by the presence of us humans! Note, it is worth taking a pair of sandals you can go into the water and swim wearing, otherwise it can be a bit hard on the feet! All this is worth knowing because, whilst the hotel does have a swimming pool, this is pretty small and tends (understandably) to be the safe haven for the families with young children. We didn't bother using the pool in the fortnight we were there!

Now onto the food! Breakfast was buffet with plenty of choice although I confess to not being able to face any scrambled egg yet since my return (enough is enough!). As for the evening meal, the food is fantastic! Dinner consists, if you include the salad bar and desert, of a five course banquet. You nominate two of the courses for the evening at breakfast, but there is a good choice and you won't be disappointed whatever you choose! If you like a glass of wine, then you are in for a treat! There is a host of great local wines to try both in the hotel and anywhere else you go in the area......Bardolino, Valpolicella, Soave, Lugana, Garneigia.....fill your boots!!! Try the Lugana and the Bardolino DOP from the recomended list! Lovely!

On the subject of drinks, my missus developed a real taste for a drink known as an Aperol Spritz. This seems to consist of half and half Prosecco and this stuff called Aperol tipped over a load of ice and topped up with a dash or two of soda. Very refreshing so I am told, I was too busy with my Peroni to try it. Apparently, one of the major constituents of Aperol is rhubbarb! Bizarre!

As for Bardolino itself, I really liked it. It is one of those places where it is really nice to take an amble around after dinner and then sit at one of the many bars or restaurants and people watch! We went in a number of nice places, but one place we did repeat visit on a number of occassions was the Mate bar. This is quite trendy and gets some youngsters in it, but we didn't feel out of place (both 50+) and were made very welcome by the two youngish lads who seem to run it. It's primarily a cocktail bar and the cocktails are good and reasonably priced (comparatively) at about £5 a go.

We did quite a number of trips. The lake tour is worth doing (although it is a long day) because it gives you a much better feel for the place and the contrast between the different parts of the lake. The trip up into the Dolomites was spectacular if you are into mountain scenery and you can have a ride on a cable car. Verona itself is a pretty city and we combined this with the wine tour which made it a fun day. We also went to Milan (I had to get to the San Siro!.........and my missus indulged me!). However, of the city visits, I think I enjoyed Padova (Padua) best, there was something about the atmosphere of the place with the big outdoor food markets etc!

This was our third visit to Italy in five years and it confirmed again to us both how much we like Italy, it's atmosphere, its culture, its food and its people. Which brings me onto the staff in the hotel who I think deserve a bit of a special mention. Yes! I know that they are doing there jobs, but nonetheless I think I can tell when a welcome is forced. This hotel is staffed by a great bunch of hard working friendly people from the cleaners to the porter to the waiters/waitresses to the bar staff. They pretty much all seem to be able to speak passable German and English as well as there own language and interchange between them effortlessly, which always amazes me. We certainly felt welcomed and looked after! What more can you ask for?!

A couple of other things to note. The majority of the clientele in this hotel seem to be German. However, there seems to be a hardcore minority of Brits who they tend to sit together in the restaurant in the evening. What struck me from talking to some of the other Brits was just how many of them were on return visits not only to Lake Garda but also to this hotel, which is about as good a recommendation as you can get. One Welsh couple had been visiting for the past twenty years! Me, I like to see different places, but I confess that I would consider returning to Lake Garda, Bardolino and the Hotel du Lac.....maybe in a few years when my wanderlust has subsided a bit!

Room Tip: Ask for the second floor and the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
10 Thank RockIslandRebel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Wigan, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2012

My husband and myself had a wonderful holiday at this hotel in June this year. The facilities are first class, the staff very attentive and helpful without being instrusive and the food choices are extensive and prepared to a very high standard. Special thanks to Gerrano, our waiter for our evening meal, he couldn't have been more pleasant and courteous. We were lucky with our room as we had a side lake view which was a three bedded room with a large balcony. The only slight negative with this hotel is as one previous reviewer commented that it is situated behind a petrol station. I did comment to my husband that I hoped our room was not overlooking this. Fortunately we weren't, but one unfortunate couple had spent two weeks never going onto their balcony because of the noise fronm the car wash!! I would love to return to the hotel at some time in the future, but would prefer to stay in the Belle View Hotel, the sister hotel which is situated next door. All the rooms there appear to have a fuil lake view.

Bardalino itself was a great base to stay with lots to offer both day and night and the lake tour is well worth going on.

All in all a lovely holiday.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank AnnFWigan
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2012

We had a wonderful holiday in the Hotel du Lac, Bardolino, Lake Garda, Italy, in May this year. The people in the hotel were extremely friendly and helpful and the food was delicious. Bardolino itself suits all ages. There are numerous restaurants, plenty of boat trips available to the other resorts on the lake and just strolling along the lakeside having an occasional seat admiring the view. There is also a good bus service to the other resorts on the same side of the lake including Verona. Wine and ice-cream excellent!! We could thoroughly recommend a holiday there to recharge the batteries!

Room Tip: Possibly ask for a lake facing room.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank christinegordon33
ABERDEENSHIRE
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2012

Have just returned having stayed 2 weeks at the Bellevue in a junior suite. Lovely large room with balcony looking over the lake. Very clean room with towels changed every day. Breakfast is either eaten in the garden or a lovely
breakfast room. Evening meal is eaten in the restaurant at the Du Lac. You are allocated a table. 5 course meals every night and never the same thing twice in our 2 weeks there. Staff were very pleasant. Location of hotel was excellent as was only a short 10 min walk into Bardolino along the lake side. As this was our first trip to Lake Garda, we went on the Lake Tour, well worth it. We also did a trip to the Dolomites - this was excellent, spectacular scenery and breathtaking views. Our hotel also has a sailing ship which you can sail on - free of charge. We sailed for about 3 hours. It was absolutly fab. Big thanks to Steph our holiday rep who was very helpful - she organised a bottle of prosecco for us as we were on our honeymoon - lovely. Overall we had a great time. Highly recommend - very relaxing time.

Room Tip: Would definately book the Bellevue as most of the balconies looked onto the lake.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Audrey D
Birmingham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2012

We got to our Hotel and were initially surprised, it sits behind a Petrol Station. We then walked into Reception to hear a British woman loudly berating the Receptionist over her room location, not what you would would call an ideal start when about to check in. However, the next week completely changed any first impressions we formed from our arrival. The hotel's location is great, the rear of the hotel is right on the edge of Lake Garda itself and the town is short walk away. There are sun loungers at the rear of the hotel so its was nice just to 'chill'. The food was really good, lots of choice and varied across the week we were there, the waiter service for the evening meal was a real bonus (we didn't realise we had this when we booked). ALL of the staff we really good noting was too much trouble. I can confidently recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank John N
WIGAN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2012

We last visited two years ago and promised to return. Well we did ! It was just as good, if not better, than before. The same high standards of service, friendliness and quality of food as expected. The restaurant manager ( Vitto ) and our waiter ( Ricardo ) were so efficient and friendly and nothing was too much trouble.Our 2 week stay from the 9th May was unhurried and relaxing,
which we attributed , in no small way, to all the staff.
Handily placed in a very quiet and peaceful location but only a short walk into Bardolino and the ferry terminal. Plenty of seats along the lakeside to rest and admire the view.

Room Tip: Rooma available with balcony at the front and one side with views of lake. Other side overlooka a ca...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
9 Thank WiganBeausejour
Wakefield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2012

This hotel is actually two-in-one, we stayed in the newer Bellevue building. We had a Junior Suite with a balcony looking straight out onto the lake. The room was very big and well appointed with a large bathroom. We had breakfast either in the breakfast room or outside in the enclosed garden. There was full choice, hot and cold, breads, fruits,meats, cheeses, bacon, eggs etc. Dinner was taken in the smaller dining room in the Du Lac, and was excellent. There was a good choice on the menu, the food was of good quality and well presented and the wines were reasonably priced. We were greeted at both breakfast and dinner by the cheery smile of Alfredo, who along with Stefano, looked after us very well. All staff we encountered were friendly, efficient and eager to help. Wi-fi access for those who want it, is free in the public areas of the Du Lac.

The position of the hotel is one of the best in Bardolino, being away from the road with direct access to the lakeside path. We had full use of all facilities at the Du Lac, swimming pool, garden etc. but could then retreat back to the quiet haven that is the Bellevue.

Having stayed in two other hotels along this part of the town, the Bellevue is by far the best and we would not hesitate to go back.

Room Tip: I would definitely choose the Bellevue rather than the Du Lac, for its peace and quiet. Splashing o...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends