“Lake view my [--]”

Hotel Caesius Thermae & Spa Resort
Ranked #2 of 43 Hotels in Bardolino
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 10, 2013

These days I rarely get time for a break and so when I found myself booking my trip to Lake Garda I decided not to scrimp. I reserved a lake view room imagining myself sitting on my balcony supping from a glass of Bardolino red and gazing wistfully out over the water.
Upon my arrival I skipped happily up to the balcony doors and flung the curtains wide. My heart sank as I gazed out onto a wall of trees that blocked my view of the lake except for a tiny sliver of water in the far distance. The very pleasant lady at reception checked her computer and informed me that it was indeed a lake view room. 'But I can't view the lake'. This didn't seem to register as a problem to her and as I could feel myself becoming more annoyed and depressed about the situation I decided to retreat back to my expensive and vista less room. This was my first holiday in 3 years and the last thing I wanted was to let it bring me down. The only time you would be able to see the lake would be when the leaves had fallen. (To which at least the lady at reception admitted to).
The hotel itself was somewhat soulless. The outdoor pool felt like it was only a couple of degrees above absolute zero. The bar stank of dog food for the duration of my stay. The staff seemed genuinely unhappy with the exception of Fabio the barman but even he seemed a little strung out. I still cant figure out why there are Star Trek style doors separating the hotels corridors.
So then in summary a pretty poor experience. It's one redeeming feature would be the quality of the spa. Quite impressive really if you don't mind forced nudity.
The next week I moved up to Garda and stayed in a charming little hotel right on the water front at half the price. 'La Vitoria'. I highly recommend it.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Matt D
sarnataro, Direttore generale at Hotel Caesius Thermae & Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2013

Dear guest

thanks for your review

I'm sorry that you could not enjoy the view of the lake from your room.
Will check what happened with your reservation.

I completely understand your disappointment, and I am convinced that your other comments are due to your bad mood !

Our staff is definitely not depressed as you say, and I guarantee you we do not serve food for dogs in our Bar.!

But no matter, I understand your regret and if you want to come back to our hotel please contact me personally in order to organize best for you to live your experience in the best way.

Have a nice and relaxing summer 2013

Giacomo Sarnataro

Write a ReviewReviews (2,795)

Reviewed July 10, 2013

We have just arrived back from the Caesius Therme for our honeymoon. We were so excited having spent 2 wonderful days in Venice, to get to the Caesius spa hotel for some relaxation. The sad thing was that when we checked in we went straight into our room (201) and threw the curtains open to see our view (we had paid a suppliment for a balcony room in the main building). Our view was of the staff car park. It had to be the worst view of any room in the hotel, as even our neighbour had flower beds in front of their room. Whilst I appreciate that someone has to have that room, it does call into question the decision making of those allocating rooms, especially giving the worst room in the hotel to the honeymooners. We asked to move rooms, and were told this would cost 30 euros a night extra, and would have to wait until the following day becasue the hotel was full. We were really disappointed. Although we had been left a bottle of prosecco in the room for our honeymoon, this really knocked the shine off sitting on our balcony drinking it whilst watching mopeds and cars in and our of the staff car park within a few feet of us. We decided we wouldnt move rooms in the end as we really wanted to unpack and get all our nice new honeymoon clothes hung up, and we thought we had already paid enough for what for us was a very expensive honeymoon. And we had by then noticed that everything had an additional price (be aware that some of the things like flip flops in the bathroom that appear freebies are chargable), and thought we had better keep some money in reserve just in case.

The good aspects of the hotel were, it was very clean, and the spa facilities were pretty good. We went into the thermal baths a lot. The treatments seemed to be really expensive when comapred to UK prices for similar, but then you are paying for the location. The pool area is also lovely and the gardens and sitting areas beautiful. Plenty of loungers. The location is also nice, not on the lake but across the road, about 15 minute walk to Bardolino one way and about a 5 minute walk the other way to Cissano. The bike hire was brilliant and we had 2 full days hire (6 euros a day). The roads around the town have cycle lanes and the roads are in very good condition generally. Also the route along the lake has a good cycle path. We went to Garda, Bardolino and Laize on the bikes as well as the wine museum and the olive oil museum which are well worth a trip, with free wine and olive oil tasting. On our check out we were offered a packed breakfast/lunch, which turned out to be brilliant, sandwiches, croissants, cake, juice, fruit - it made all the difference on the way to the airport when we went so early.

The food was generally average despite the rave reviews, however there is loads of it. We went half board, and breakfast was pretty average 4 star hotel buffet breakfast. Dinner is 5 courses. The salad buffet starter was very good and had lots of choice with a more unusual additional item every night, sometimes procuttio and artichokes sometimes carpaccio and rocket. Then there was an appetiser, which tasted the same every night really, largely something moussy with puff pastry and courgette in some guise or other, although one night we did have a lovely sliced smoked goose dish. Then the pasta dish, this was always very good, tortellini, risotto, etc. Then a main which was very hit and miss, it was either fish or meat, and was somethimes great, like the beef or octopus carpaccio, and sometimes like a school dinner, sliced meat with boiled carrots and potatos with gravy. Puddings were buffet style too and also good, worth it for the gorgonzola itself. They had creme brulee, mousse, flan, fruit and lots of cheese which we loved.

Overall it didnt quite live up to our expectations, perhaps we expected too much. But we did enjoy our stay and our honeymoon overall, not sure we would be back though, there are some lovely little places elsewhere I think we would rather try.

Room Tip: Insist on a front room overlooking the pool, garden, lake, anywhere but room 201.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 2, 2013

My wife and I spent one week at this hotel in June 2013 for the first time although we had previously visited Bardolino on fourteen occasions. The hotel is situated a twenty minute walk along the lakefront from Bardolino. It has many good points but some negative ones also.
First the good points, our room which was in the Augustus building was very clean, well appointed and quiet; the staff at all levels were very friendly and helpful; the gardens were beautiful with so many coloured shrubs and flowers; there were plenty of sun beds available both by the pools and in the gardens; hammocks were available in the quiet area of the garden; the swimming pools were never busy plus there were two separate pools for children. Finally the food, breakfast was a pretty standard affair however the five course dinner was fantastic with a good choice of menu.
As for the negatives that could be improved, the courtesy bus timetable needs to be addressed as on each night we did not finish our dinner until after 8.30pm when the last bus left for town. On occasions at dinner the waiting staff appeared to be serving drinks in addition to the food, resulting in some delay between courses, perhaps waiters solely to serve drinks could be employed.
Overall we thoroughly enjoyed our stay at this hotel and we would certainly return there.

Room Tip: Our room in the Augustus building was quiet, we were in room 603 on the first floor looking out into...
1  Thank Donald F
Reviewed June 30, 2013

I spent a week at the Caesius in May 2013. The friendliness and professionalism of the staff are just one aspect of a wonderful holiday experience. I would recommend this hotel highly. Its range of facilities ( great spa, indoor and outdoor pools, gym....) .will keep you occupied or allow you to just relax. However, your calorific intake will increase significantly if you can manage all five courses at dinner each night. The superb food is all locally sourced (the pasta is made each morning on the premises) and high praise must go to the Premier Maitre d'Hotel, Fillipo Lauria for his running of the restaurant and his lively customer interactions. Prosecco for breakfast anyone ? They serve it.

Room Tip: Ask for a pool view
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gerrington
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Having enjoyed a week’s stay at the hotel with my wife it would be easy to write a few lines to say that I concur with most of the positive reviews posted on Trip Advisor. Indeed, I do, but I would like to make a few points which I hope the management will consider to improve matters for future guests.
Before doing so, however, I would like to mention at the outset how impressed we both were with the staff throughout the hotel – all pleasant and obliging to any request. We were also won over by the excellent food served each night in the restaurant – wow, five courses if you can manage them – and all really enjoyable. We didn’t use the spa facilities, (apart from the excellent Jacuzzis in the outdoor pools), so we cannot make any comments on these.
Now to the room – on the second floor overlooking the pools: Both my wife and I thought the bed was rather firm, although I accept that beds are all subjective to individual requirements. What peeved me, however, was that my wife had to pay five Euros for a soft pillow to replace the rather firm standard ones. Surely, a hotel of this quality should provide pillows that enable guests to have a good night’s sleep without having to pay extra for them. I know that in America many hotels invite guests in advance of their visit to stipulate the type of pillows they require. In these days of modern technology it would be easy for this hotel to do this in most cases.
The settee in the room (possibly it was a bed settee) was also very uncomfortable while the bedroom carpet had clearly seen considerable use. Cleanliness throughout the hotel, however, was first class. Everywhere was spotlessly clean.
It was disappointing to find that the only two English channels on the televisions – BBC 1 and BBC 2 - worked intermittently – more off than on. I read about this before travelling out, so it is clearly not a new problem.
I liked the hotel’s policy of asking guests to sign for any extras rather than pay cash each time. It avoided the need to give a tip each time you ordered a drink, something which is expected in the USA (Barolino 1 – USA 1), although guests can still reward their waiters etc.
at the end of their holiday.
We didn’t use the courtesy bus into Bardolino because the limited schedule was never convenient. The last bus into Bardolino was at 8.30pm – a time when most people were still eating one of their five courses, even if they had started at 7pm! I am sure more guests would appreciate a regular evening service, though I suppose this wouldn’t help the bar trade at the hotel.
I had breakfast every morning and thought it was ok, but it could be improved with a greater choice of fresh fruits, bread and possibly fried or poached eggs.
Would I stay at this hotel again? Most definitely, particularly after hearing fellow visitors criticise some of the food served up at other so-called four star hotels.

Room Tip: A pool view room, though more expensive, is worth paying the extra for
1  Thank Cardi1
Reviewed June 29, 2013

Most reviewers seem to enjoy their stay at this hotel and my wife and I did also during our recent weeks stay. When viewed objectively though this hotel is good but not perfect.

On arrival there is no wow factor. The hotel is situated in a pleasant area on the edge of town and the lake is not really "just across the road". It would be more accurate to say that the hotel is set one block back from the lake and does not really have a lake view. The hotel buildings are not particularly attractive and the decor throughout relies heavily on blonde wood and beige colour schemes. The main building is L shaped and borders the rear and one side of the largish pool area. The swimming pools are decent with jacuzzi and hydro massage accessories. Between pools there is extensive hedging and shrubbery to split things up and provide shade. Sun beds are plentiful but free ones were hard to find on a couple of afternoons during our stay.

Our room was in the main building but faced the road at the rear looking out across an field planted with trees (possibly olive). On the opposite side of the corridor were pool facing rooms which after sneaking a look at them whilst they were being cleaned appeared to be the same size as ours. The room itself was slightly tired, the carpet was sun bleached and also showed signs of other wear. The bed was large and firm. The pillows were even firmer. The bathroom was ok, stocked with various toiletries with a shower over a bath. The showers water pressure was low during peak periods (morning and early evening).

We, as most guests appeared to be, were on a half board package. The restaurant was large and split into a number of rectangular rooms, two of which housed salad bars. One of these rooms also contained the dessert buffet and families with children were generally seated in this room. Most people were allocated a table on day one and sat at the same table during the rest of their stay. The table d'hôte menu consisted of a salad course from the salad bar, the "appetiser of the chef" followed by a pasta course, a main course and then a dessert from the buffet. There was choice of four pasta and four main courses and these were served at your table. The food was generally decent but after a week I was a little bored of it and fancied something different. Breakfast was served in an adjacent room and also outside overlooking the pool area. There was most of the usual things you find in European hotels but it wasn't' the best breakfast I've ever had. The pastry selection consisted of three types of fairly bland croissants that always looked slightly overdone and some Madeira type cake. The islands where most of the breakfast food was presented did not have refrigeration which meant that milk for cereal and juices became warm. Tinned fruit was also served. There was fresh fruit but only melon was prepared, if you wanted sliced orange or kiwi you had to peel and slice this yourself.

Twice a week the hotel arranges a free afternoons boat trip for guests on the lake. The boat is a yacht called St Nicoli and it can carry up to 25 passengers. This proved to be a thoroughly enjoyable afternoon. One day during our stay it drizzled and so spent the morning in the indoor pool. This pool is so well heated it was like a bath and also benefits from a jacuzzi area. During the afternoon we rented bicycles from the hotel and rode initially to Lasize along the lake. Lasize itself is a pretty walled town and worth a visit. The lake path to Lasize is a bit rough in places and no where near as attractive as the path to Bardolino. After visiting Lasize we rode to Garda via Bardolino along the lakeside path which as most other reviewers have said is pleasant and attractive. Walking along this path from the hotel to Bardolino took us about 20 minutes. During our stay we also visited Verona which is only about half an hour away and was worth visiting.

Lastly we did find as many others have said that the staff wanted us to enjoy ourselves and did their best to facilitate this.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 29, 2013

Wonderful food with a fantastic choice every night. We didn't see anything the same on the menu twice. I'm a non meat eater and we had a great choice. Even when the chefs specials (small appetiser) contained meat, I was offered an alternative. The staff in the restaurant could not be faulted.

Breakfast was a good choice. We opted for the healthy selection but there really is something for everyone here. A plentiful selection of breads, cooked food, and cakes etc. even sparkling pink wine!

The thermal pools are a must. Difficult to find them but that is a good thing because they are very quiet. The indoor pool is peaceful but then so is everything about this hotel, it's ideal for a much needed get away.

Location is wonderful, far enough away from the crowds, but near enough to walk if you want a more lively night.

Tips.... Take the hotel trekking tour (free on a Wednesday) we had the tour guide to ourselves and he took us right to the top of la rocca. It was a 2 hour walk. wear hiking boots and take some water. We felt that we had really had a good work out.

Trips to Dolomites was amazing but we had unseasonal snow so that made it extra special, it was well worth taking the day out to do it.

We will definitely return and without question will stay at the Caesius.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bardolino
Aqualux Hotel Spa & Suite Bardolino
#13 of 62 in Riva Del Garda
Hotel Sirmione
Hotel Sirmione
#14 of 67 in Sirmione

Been to Hotel Caesius Thermae & Spa Resort? Share your experiences!