“The best holiday..... and honeymoon”

Hotel Caesius Thermae & Spa Resort
Ranked #2 of 43 Hotels in Bardolino
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed May 23, 2013

I have just returned from a week at the Caesuis Thermae Hotel with my husband and 20 month old..... the place is excellent and well thought out.
It is obvious from the first few hours at the hotel, that they have really considered peoples needs and especially when it comes to children.
I'll start with the rooms....
We stayed in a suite which are in the 'family' area (has its own baby pool, playgrounds, grass areas etc). The suites are big with 2 rooms and a large bathroom with a bath and separate shower - you can all get ready at once!). lots of extras, like umbrellas, dressing gowns, slippers, plenty of towels, beach bags etc. Thoughtful things that save you the hassle of packing them.
There is a mini bar (expensive as most are).... if I was going to have a criticism the fridge is not that cold (and not much room to add any of your own bits).
Location - perfect. Bardolino is beautiful. you are a 10 min Lake side walk from the centre and a 15 min walk in the opposite direction is Lazise which is gorgeous too.
There's a Lidls 5 mins up the road which sells all the usual (plus nappies and other baby essentials!).
Food - Yummy! I was a bit concerned it wasn't a buffet style affair, but the meals were just amazing. we didnt have a bad meal.
You can basically help yourself to salad, bread and then you are offered a appetiser, a 1st course, a main meal and then help yourself to puddings (which are especially lovely.... ask my daughter!) and cheese and biscuits!
There is a children's menu which has about 7 choices (lasagne, burgers, chicken, pizza etc) and the waiters ask for their order straight away so the kids dont have to wait.... top idea!
We were seated with the other little ones, near the buffet for ease and the waiters always make a fuss of the kids if they appear to get fidgety. They also hand out little gifts every now and then (like hats and teddies). There are beakers, bibs and colouring bits on the table when you arrive. They didnt provide plastic bowls or cutlery so if you need your baby to have them, I would pack your own. My little one enjoyed the china plates and even managed to break one. The waiters were again really good and quickly cleared it up and put us at ease.
Breakfast was great too, usual buffet affair, with extra bits at the weekend like crepes. They also have a healthy section.
Pools - plenty of choice with great sunbeds at the main pools (have a bit you can put over your face while you're reading - I want one!!).
2 baby pools, one with water features, one near the family area.
Indoor pool luxurious, not aimed at children, but fine if not too busy.
There's a kids club, but I think its for 4-11 years old. However, there is a indoor play area suitable for younger kids with loads of toys etc.
Spa - it it a tad expensive but I treated my husband to a massage as it was his birthday. He enjoyed it, even if he was a tad surprised at the paper pants and the 'closeness' of the massage!!!!
Trips - you can get anywhere from Bardolino harbour, it's 30 mins from verona and close to theme parks and museums.
I would highly recommend this hotel. Although we went as a family with a young child, there were plenty of couples and people without children. The place caterers well for children, but also caterers for people without. They have made so many areas that are aimed at different people that it is possible for everyone to relax and enjoy themselves.
We found it pretty hard to criticise the place...... if we were going to try and be negative we would say the room was a tad dark (but the facilities and practicalness of the room outways this!) and the coffee wasnt replaced enough in the room! But that is us being REALLY picky.
Will definitely consider staying again and we NEVER go back someone again.....

Room Tip: I'd choose a suite if you have kids, the extra room was a blessing
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Jax73
Write a ReviewReviews (2,796)

Reviewed May 12, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for 3 days and my first thought is that of the food. Fantastic selection and high standard of cooking. The spa is wonderful and gym very quiet so much so I had it to myself for the hour. The staff are very accommodating and willing to help. For those who need a cash point there is one to the right of the hotel next to Lidl. And the lake is about 3/5 minutes walk where you'll find a handful of bars.
Perfect break overall

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Amy L
Reviewed April 29, 2013

This was our second stay at this hotel and it was even better than our first visit years ago. It is a nice place in Bardolino for a good value. The staff is friendly and helpfull. The hotel and the rooms are in good shape. You will find quiet rooms, the main road is just far enough. There is a nice garden and pool area. The architecture is nothing special and no fancy design elements, more ordinary style. The Spa with thermal water is the highlight. Unfortunately everything is inside, no spa area outside. We have taken a relaxing massage, which was worth the money. The Spa and parking is free for guests. Breakfast is rich and also with local and organic products. We will be back because of the location, the value and the spa.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank hotbath
Reviewed April 22, 2013

My first trip to Bardolino and I am very happy to have chosen the Caesius. All of the raves about the spa and the food are accurate. The spa does ramble in a huge area underground, but it makes for some fun to explore all the areas. As an avid morning exercise fan, I was disappointed that the fitness center was in the spa and therefore did not open until 8am, but the staff provided a discount on a rental bicycle so I focused on bike journeys around Lake Garda. One tip if you want to ride, do it in the morning. The trails around Garda fill up with walkers in the afternoon so that was often our second daily exercise effort.
The one mile walk to Bardolino from the hotel proved to be the perfect distance to walk after a full Italian meal downtown.
I special thanks to Fabio in the bar. He was always going above and beyond expectations all week, and became a friend on day one. If you appreciate good wine, Ask for the "Molloy Pour" for his Amerone and you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank JohnMo54
Reviewed April 5, 2013

This place is heaven on earth - from the hot spring pools, the Ayurvedic and Turkish spas (I had a wonderful hamman treatment), Ayurvedic menu at the restaurant, it was pure bliss! Great location and super-helpful concierge working the front desk. I made a pest of myself with MANY questions and they cheerfully answered them all with a smile! The Ayurvedic options at breakfast were such a treat, too! Very veg and vegan friendly.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
5  Thank Gillian_veggie
Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

Fantastic hotel wkd for long weekends not far from Verona and just over 1hr from Milan, spa treatments where fab, book in advance to avoid disappointment, as they are busy well worth going, and food is really nice,

• Stayed: March 2013
2  Thank B S
Reviewed March 25, 2013

I stayed at this nice hotel in December 2012 and again in March 2013, both times for 3 nights.

Lots of positives: good, helpful staff; wonderful indoor pool and very good food with lots of choices.

When I was there in December, the internet connection kept dropping out and the TV, when on the BBC, froze - quite often for very long periods of time. I had assumed from going to the front desk, that the internet was something that was giving them a problem and would be fixed. Wrong. Some 3 months later and it is just as bad.

Now this might not matter to you when you are there on holiday, but, this hotel also markets itself as a business hotel with business facilities and charges accordingly. Last Monday it rained non-stop. My husband was out at work and I wanted internet access for my iPad. I managed to get a connection most of the time, although it did drop out frequently. The next day (a glorious weather day) I tried on and off throughout the day apart from the 4 hours I was out, without success at all. It was evening before I could get any type of connection at all. I find this to be totally unacceptable at Europlan's flagship hotel in 2013.

The TV, but only, it seems, the BBC was no better. I recommend not even trying to watch anything that comes to a conclusion or has a 'reveal' because you would bet that it would 'freeze' at that very moment. My husband is a German speaker and it was notable that the German channels did not suffer from these problems!

The rooms are pleasant, but unremarkable. Good that there is tea and coffee making facilities and the bathroom is a good size. The indoor pool area is lovely, warm and inviting and it's a real bonus that you just slip on your bathrobe, go down in the lift, and you are steps away (if you are in the main building that is). The pool was even more stunning in December when a lit Christmas tree added to the atmosphere. The outdoor pools were empty and work was obviously being done to prepare the hotel for the new holiday season, as it was at other hotels I passed as I walked into Bardolino itself (about a mile or so by the side of the lake).

Although I have stayed here twice within a short period of time, I have also stayed at most of the other 4 star hotels in Bardolino over the years and by far my favourites are others in the Europlan stable, Bellevue and Du Lac, and had they been open, we would not have returned to Caesius, despite having lots to recommend it. They used to keep Bellevue open throughout the year, but stopped soon after Caesius opened. What a pity.

Caesius seems to cater very well for those with children and I like the semi-separate dining room provided for dinner. I was surprised at how many people were there out of season, given that it's just a bit too far out of Bardolino for my liking (a good 20 minute walk, although a free shuttle is bookable), and you have to cross the road to get to the lake (not difficult).

To conclude, if you have young children, love pools and spas and don't need reliable internet access, then this hotel could hit the mark. For me it just falls short.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank twasbrillig4
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bardolino
Aqualux Hotel Spa & Suite Bardolino
#13 of 62 in Riva Del Garda
Hotel Sirmione
Hotel Sirmione
#15 of 67 in Sirmione

Been to Hotel Caesius Thermae & Spa Resort? Share your experiences!