“Couldn’t Eat There”

Ranked #35 of 256 Restaurants in Ascoli Piceno
Cuisines: Italian, Wine Bar
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: In the beginning, 26 years ago, we started as a wine and delicatessen shop, in the heart of our town center. Later the national magazine "Panorama" reviewed us as one of the 10 top class deli shop in Italy, thanks to our care about quality and range of dishes, products and wines exposed. Few years ago we decided to evolve into a restaurant, where everybody can taste special local food dining in the wonderful Piazza Arringo and bring home special ingredients or gastronomic gifts such as local white or black truffle, good wine and, of course, the precious "Olive Ascolane D.O.P." prepared by hand. This is the speciality of Ascoli Piceno, now protected by the EU's Denomination of Protected Origin: olives without stones replaced by a special filling of meat and parmesan cheese... then crumbed and deepfried! every family in Ascoli has its own secret recipe, and so we do! Talking about our restaurant you will find warm and prepared staff ready to welcome you and eager to explain dishes in details, as long as a great selection of olive oils from the surroundings. As our showpiece are the olive you will be surprised by our pastas and the grilled meat. Our philosophy? First of all the best quality in the dish, at a fair price. Hope to see you soon!
Reviewed July 5, 2019 via mobile

After seeing the reviews, we wanted to try this place. We chose a table outside in the shade which and headed over to the exterior counter where the olives and other bites where. Unfortunately, the only life behind the counter was a pigeon walking up and down the countertop and pecking at the food.

Whilst I was ready to try somewhere else, my partner went inside to see what else was on offer (that the pigeons didn’t have access to). Unfortunately, as she approached the counter the gentleman behind it sneezed all over the food, without turning away or even covering his mouth. She made a hasty exit and we ate across the road.

Date of visit: July 2019
Write a reviewReviews (740)

Reviewed June 5, 2019

We had been recommended to look out for stuffed olives which are a speciality of Ascoli Piceno and the hotel told us to go here. We went there immediately upon arrival and were almost told that we were too early, but we must have looked hungry and were taken pity upon. We had a double serving of olives and a glass each of both the local white and red wines. The olives were stuffed with chicken, veal and beef and two cheeses and they were absolutely delicious. Highly recommended!

Date of visit: May 2019
Reviewed January 10, 2019 via mobile

While I have always like olives, I have eaten more olives from this store in the past week than I have eaten in a decade. Seriously. I wish I had such a place back home. The service is wonderful and the prices beyond reasonable. Wine, salami and a good-sized jar of olives and a sparking water and I am good for the day.

Date of visit: January 2019
Reviewed November 11, 2018

My girlfriend and I found this place while visiting Ascoli Piceno on a rainy day, in the early afternoon.
We were welcomed by a man who made us feel like at home. We sat on a window table, with a nice view of the basilica and tasted delicious, mouthwatering Olive all'Ascolana, accompanied by a glass of house red wine. We also tried a few other bites and to the staff, it didn't matter that we were eating at an awkward time, they provided a very friendly and nice service.
I highly suggest to nip in if you're visiting the city, for a quick bite or even a full meal. On display, there were plenty of choices!

Date of visit: November 2018
Reviewed August 19, 2018

The main thing I wanted to experience in Le Marche was the olive ascolane at the source in Ascoli Piceno. We learned about them from the BBC programme “Italy Unpacked”, presented by Andrew Graham-Dixon and Giorgio Locatelli. Although the episode was set in Urbino, which is over 200 kilometres away, they seemed to have filmed father and son duo Zè and Augusto Migliori (what a perfect name for a businessman) on the streets there, preparing and frying olives from their mobile street food van. Migliori’s real base is in Ascoli Piceno, where they have a large corner shop with outdoor stall selling quick street food which was very popular with locals and tourists alike.

The olives we had were freshly made - a poor Migliori employee stood on show behind glass, endlessly breading olives for hours on end and smiling for tourist photos – and the turnover is huge. Because of this, the olives you will buy are going to be warm, but not fried especially for you. On the television programme, Migliori demonstrated how the olives were cut from the stone in a spiral, using a small, sharp knife. This is then wrapped around the stuffing. I can’t be certain, but I think the huge volume they get through now makes hand-preparation impossible and it seemed like the olives they were using had been prepared in a less traditional way. Nevertheless, they are breaded and fried by hand and certainly tasted among the best – but not the absolute best (see my other review for this town) – I had here and in other places in Le Marche.

After being so familiar with the TV series, we hoped to catch a glimpse of the Miglioris themselves. I suspect they aren’t around as much these days, as their business seems to have moved beyond a two-man in a van enterprise. We were, however, delighted that both father and son were there on the same evening we were, filming an interview with another famous Italian chef and Slow Food campaigner, Giorgio Barchiesi. We sat in the piazza and listened to the three of them talk about things food related. We enjoyed a plate of cheeses (try the candied olives that go with them), olive ascolane, and wine.

In short, do try the DOP olives here and enjoy them as the locals do, strolling through the beautiful town and saying ‘ciao’ to anyone who catches your eye. It’s difficult to find a more authentic snack anywhere.

Date of visit: August 2018