“Terrible food, unfriendly staff.”
Review of Osteria Nonna Nina

Osteria Nonna Nina
Ranked #3 of 256 Restaurants in Ascoli Piceno
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Typical Restaurant Regional Awarded Prestigious Mark of Italian Hospitality Michelin Guide 2017 -2018
Reviewed August 2, 2019

We come to Italy at least once a year and this is hands down the worst dinner we've ever had in over 20 years. I have no idea how this restaurant has so many positive reviews.

First, our welcome. It was nonexistent. I'd read that from a couple of other reviewers but thought no, this is Italy. They're so warm, so welcoming always. But here, no. The girl looked as though we had interrupted her standing as she led us to an inside table even though outside tables were open and we asked for one. As the night progressed, they seemed to seat the foreigners inside.

Second, our order. The waiter arrived to take ours and before I could open my mouth, he began to make recommendations which is fine, but when you keep asking me if I want double order on everything we order, it's a little much. Plus, out of the 4 of us, two are vegetarians and he kept trying to sell us a meat plate. I felt like he wasn't trying to give us a nice experience but trying to make more money.

Third, my daughter ordered a tomato sauce dish and after delivering our starter, he advised us they were out of tomato sauce. At an Italian restaurant.

Fourth, when I asked for the gnocchi about which I'd read rave reviews, he talked me out of it and recommended a different 'homemade' pasta. I took his advice and there's no way it was homemade and neither was my husband's dish.

Fifth, the 'roasted' potatoes - if you pressed your fork on one, you literally squeezed oil out. They were probably microwaved old potatoes.

I will give them this - the wine was good.

When the bill came, the waiter brought complimentary limoncello (which we did not drink) and four glasses. My kids are 14 and 16. The waiter, when I told him we were unhappy with things, couldn't really be bothered.

Go anywhere else in this cute little town and you will feel more welcome and have a better meal. This was terrible and just disappointing when you're on vacation and hoping to have a nice meal and night with your family.

Date of visit: July 2019
RoyCry, Proprietario at Osteria Nonna Nina, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2019

Dear customer, its consumption refers to a dinner on August 2nd 2019. You showed up at our restaurant without a reservation. I don't understand why you should have had outside tables already booked and engaged by others. That said, the dinner you have put together in 4 for a total of € 58 was made up as you requested by: 1 selection of pecorino cheese for 2 people, 1 mixed salad, 1 green salad, 1 baked potato, 1 bruschetta with tomato sauce , 1 Tagaliatella al ragu, 1 Italian Strozzaprete.
No one forced you into the choice and no one tried to sell things you didn't want. She simply did not accept the internal position of the table and as a result produced a negative review. Best regards, Roberto Pagnoni

Write a reviewReviews (1,150)

Reviewed August 1, 2019 via mobile

The food whas good and cheap!
The staff whas nice.
A good place to come back...
Ypu must have to order the ragu pasta!

Date of visit: August 2019
Reviewed June 16, 2019 via mobile

My daughter and I had dinner here on our first night in Ascoli Piceno. The staff were very friendly and the food was delicious. We started with antipasti and both had pasta as well as sweets. They also gave us a complimentary limoncello after dinner. We enjoyed it so much, we went back to try some meat dishes tge next day.

Date of visit: June 2019
Reviewed May 6, 2019

Cozy place, very traditional italian food.
The staff was just wonderful, helping us choosing the dishes and being very fun.
The food is great, we highly recommend the "arrosticini", one of the best we ever had.

P.S: Please follow our instagram page where we share our pictures and experiences from the places we visit @roaming_otters

Date of visit: April 2019
Reviewed November 15, 2018

Professional and helpful waiter made the dinner special. Tasty local dishes. Abundant serving of antipasto.

Date of visit: November 2018