“There IS such a thing as a free lunch!”

Grand Hotel Poltu Quatu Sardegna MGallery by Sofitel
Ranked #12 of 74 Hotels in Arzachena
Reviewed October 22, 2010

I spend a night in october with my family at the 5 star Poltu Quatu / Jaspe Grand Hotel, because they had an affordable low season offer; 162€ for a double, including HB for two persons, (which is like the price of a three star or even an expensive agriturismo). We didn´t expect much, but it was all great, very nice and helpful people, a free upgrade to a superior room, beatiful place, good food, all in all a fantastic buy!
The surrounding area isn´t really that interesting, you need a car (or yacht...) to get around, or just stay in the hotel area, swimming in the pool, playing tennis, etc. Or just use the hotel - as we did - for a stopover on the way up north to sleep and eat in luxury!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank JoakimOster

Reviewed June 8, 2010

I went there we friends and secured over 5 rooms for multiple nights. The hotel was less than 25% full when we were there. They screwed up some of the reservations and then the manager Giovana would not try and accommodate us but yet tried to nickle and dime us on everything. The rooms were fine and a bit dated but the walls were so thin that I could hear people in the bathroom in the next room over and every conversation. When they put a family of 4 in the next room at 7.30am one more morning I was shocked at how loud it was. With the hotel empty, why would they put everyone right next to each other? The cleaning service never did our dishes in the room which was a surprise since it was an apartment. Check out had 3 extra charges on it that were not mine. Experience was not a 5 star experience. On a positive note, the pool was pretty, the breakfast was nice and Simone and all the other waiters in the dining area was so extremely friendly and very helpful to us.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank RohreringTimes
Reviewed August 17, 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Melia Hotel in August 2008 and we had a lovely stay. The hotel is beautiful and the location is so perfect, right on a very classy port about 10 minutes drive from Porto Cervo. The staff was always so friendly and eager to assist us with our questions or our requests. The pool staff consisted of such hard workers. The rooms and bathrooms are very clean and simple but big - which we always appreciate. My husband is Italian and I am American and I had no problem communicating with the staff when he was not with me (which is sometimes a problem in Italy!). Overall, I highly recommend this hotel for anyone.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed December 3, 2007

stayed here mid-April so it wasn't too crowded. Pool looked fun but it was too cold for us. Right infront of the marina and several restaurants. STaff was extramely helpful with everything and anything you needed. Despite the construction for expansion, cold weather and hard to locate, it's a beautiful hotel wtih good food and good drinks! I'm sure if we traveled around aug or sept, we would have had more of a blast.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank marie6613
Reviewed August 27, 2007

I have just returned from staying at this hotel and I thought that the overall experience was fantastic. I was aware from reading other reviews on Trip Advisor that the staff could be rude, but I found everyone very friendly and the concierge service was especially helpful. The rooms were kept very clean and the bathroom was huge.

The prices for food and drink in the hotel are terribly expensive but there is a cafe about 2 mins walk from the hotel that overlooks the marina which is much cheaper. The hotel is located about 3km from Porto Cervo so we found it neccessary to rent a car to get around. There is no beach at Poltu Quatu, but we found a lovely one called Piccolo Pevero which is a 5-10min drive away. If you do rent a car, there is plenty of free parking by the port and it only takes 3 mins to walk to the hotel.

Be aware that it will cost €25 - €30 to get a taxi from the hotel to a restaurant in Porto Cervo. The area is not cheap and restaurants can be very expensive. Poltu Quatu itself is very small with only a handful of restaurants, so it is worth getting out and checking out other places.

I would definitely go to this hotel again. It may not be as glamorous as the other 5 star hotels in Porto Cervo, but it is priced well to reflect this.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with friends
2  Thank Holiday_Gal78
Reviewed January 4, 2007

Booked my hotel throgh expedia so thought that it would be nice. They seemed to stick all the english in one area of the hotel!! The staff were rude even in the restaurant one night we were paying London prices a lot of Italian people came in and they served them before us!! I ended up walking out that was the only time they noticed us!! Told the manager am not used to this service in London and he tried to argue with me!! Also had a massage in the beauty place to have a man giggling and being stupid!! the hotel is bad stay away not a 5 star more of a three star!!

• Stayed: May 2006, traveled as a couple
7  Thank leeabbey
Reviewed September 26, 2006

Fantasic hotel in perfect location. A luxury stay, lovely pool, incredibly friendly staff, ignore other reviews they say they aren't.

Great views of the Poltu Quatu Marina and the restaurants here are fabulous. Poltu Quatu really is a hidden gem and I'd say the best part of northern Sardinia. Our Deluxe room was as its title suggests.

Only downsides were the showers needed running for 10 mins before they reached normal temperatures, otherwise you had boiling hot water. We were offered another room to compensate however.

We were also promised a free weeks car hire and parking as part of our room rate. On arrival we were told this car was only a 2 seater and therefore as we were 3 (baby) we would need to pay the upgrade of 45 euros a day. It would have therefore been cheaper for us to hire a car at the airport and also have saved on the taxis to and from the airport (£40 each way). The management had also promised before our arrival that a baby seat would fit in the free hire car they were offering us but denied this on our arrival.

Also the food and drinks were an absolute rip off, 2 bottled beers £12 and the wine they charge at £30 a bottle can be bought for £3 in the local supermarket down the road. The food was average compared to some of the cheaper more rustic restaurants near Poltu Quatu. That said the breakfast was very good and we obviously chose to eat other meals at more reasonably priced places. I have to say I was horrified to be charged £100 (2 people) for a bbq lunch buffet on our arrival which consisted of 1 piece of meat and fish and as much dry salad and pasta as you could eat as well as £10 for a plate of chips. Ask to see the menu and prices before you help yourself!!

The quality of the food in the Poltu Quatu restaurants were excellent and there were 2 fabulous terrace bars overlooking the marina that were also reasonably priced.

Sardinia is a fantastic place for young families. The Sardinians were incredibly friendly and helpful and the whole island had a peace and tranquility that we both thouroughly enjoyed.

Overall l would definately recommend Melia Poltu Qultu for the luxury and its perfect location. Just eat and drink elsewhere. I would also say its competitors such as Hotel La Rocca and Grand Smeralda Beach Hotel (both offered us the same priced holiday) looked distinctly average in comparison.

Melia Poltu Quatu offers fantastic discounted rates on their rooms but definately try to make their money within the hotel. I would however go again. Definately an overall winner

Stayed: September 2006
9  Thank TravelLing75
Also consider these accommodations in or near Arzachena
Colonna Resort
#2 of 14 in Santa Margherita di Pula
L'ea Bianca Luxury Resort
L'ea Bianca Luxury Resort
#2 of 22 in Baia Sardinia

Been to Grand Hotel Poltu Quatu Sardegna MGallery by Sofitel? Share your experiences!