“An Absolutley Wonderful Stay!”
Review of Villa I Bossi

Villa I Bossi
Ranked #53 of 110 Arezzo B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 28, 2006

We just came back from a week's stay at Villa I Bossi. We were a group of 7 friends and stayed in the annex. The rooms are huge, beautifully decorated with large baths and tall ceilings. The annex also has a large dining/living room with a gorgeous fireplace, art, books to read, area guides, over stuffed couches and comfortable chairs for relaxing. Outside is the breakfast area (beautiful) covered in a canopy where you can sit and meet the other guests. There is a kitchen building where you can store food, cook or grab a snack. All of these are orginal structures that have been lovingly and beautifully renovated.
The main Villa is breathtaking. The art (yes, there are Della Robbia's!) antiques and architecture are what you have dreamed of in a Tuscan Villa. This has been a working estate for 900 years and you can feel the history as you roam around the buildings. And the wireless Internet in the main building is great. You can take a room in the Villa or the annex and when I return (and I will) I will want to try a room here. This is also where the cooking classes are taught. There are 3 kitchens in the Villa and the one used for the classes is a classic. As one of my friends remarked "This place has buckets of ambiance!" We all laughed, but it is true, you cannot get over the feel of this wonderful home.
Outside the grounds are lush and varied. You can walk, go for a run, read in the Italiante garden or sit by the pool and think you are in heaven. The pool is large and I was able to do my laps each day, which is a pleasure on hot summer days. There is a changing room, several outdoor showers, lounges, and a covered canopy where there are tables set up for alfresco dining. We had a wonderful lunch out here on a day we decided to stay at the Villa and it was one of our best days. And to top it off there is a hot tub high on a secluded hill overlooking the Villa.
With a rental car it is easy to get to as many hill towns and wineries as you wish, it is up to you. But is is very tempting to stay put. We took the 2 day cooking class and I think it was the highlight of our 2 week Italy trip for all in my party. The reson for this is simply, Francesca. A treasure and a light. She and her family (husband Francesco, oldest daughter Claresa) are such great people. Her other children were at the beach the week we were there and I only wish we had met them. The staff (Eva and Donna) were great, too . They were only too happy to help. The service is great but never overbearing.
I suspect the reason so many folks return to Villa I Bossi is, above all else, Francesca. She is one of the most genuinely welcoming people I have ever met. Not to mention she is one of the best cooks I have ever had the luck to dine with! She now offers 3 dinners a week at 25 Euro complete if you wish to dine on the estate. These were our best meals in Italy, for the food and the company. In our single week we met several repeat visitors from all over the world. The mix of clients was great. I think a family or a couple wanting a romantic stay would each be pleased. The Villa I Bossi is a truly special place. All of my superlatives are well deserved and I can't wait to return!

• Stayed: June 2006
1  Thank artgaldm

Reviewed May 1, 2006

My wife and I stayed with our three kids (3,7,9) in Villa I Bossi for a week last August and had one of the best vacations ever. The Villa is an old, old home that has been in the Albergotti family for some 900 years. We did not actually stay there, but stayed instead in the new addition called the Orangerie. It is a peaceful, clean annex containing several rooms. There is no air-conditioning there, but in our experience, it is not an issue. Even in the middle of August, it was quite comfortable there. The evenings were cool and comfortable. Just outside the Orangerie is a breakfast area. We have wonderful memories of having breakfasts there. The breakfasts are simple, but nicely done. Next to the breakfast area is a common kitchen, where we prepared two of the dinners. There is a supermarket on the main road that you have to come on to get to the villa. We simply stopped and picked up some things there and cooked in the kitchen. These were among the more memorable dinners that we had in Tuscany. One of unexpected surprizes was the ability to meet other travelers that were staying at the Villa. We met two families that had children. One of them, from England, also had three children. They were absolutely delightful, and we even spent a day touring one of the hill towns with them.

The villa is part of an olive orchard. There is a winery owned by the family that is across the road. The location is a bit out of the way, and is best enjoyed with a car. The villa is sorrounded with boxwood (Bossi) that is nicely trimmed. The pool is nice but the water is very cold. There is a small vegetable garden on the premises and some of the produce is placed for everyone's enjoyment. Overall, it is in a charming setting. I would recommend the Annex for most families, since it provides the level of accommodations that most people expect. The old house has its history and charm. but it can be a bit spooky for kids, especially in the evening. It is best enjoyed in the daytime, during a tour of the place. Definitely ask for a tour of the place. The history is amazing.

Francesca Albergotti is a friendly proprietor. She and her family live in the old house. Although she does not come around everyday to check on things, she is clearly around and is quite willing to offer help and suggestions on where to go and eat.

Some things to be aware of: the villa has several dogs on the premises. The dogs are friendly and can easily be shooed away, but if your kids are afraid of dogs, then make sure you plan to shoo them away. Also, the rooms are not cleaned as if you are staying in a hotel. Things are tidied up, but you do not get new towels every day. You can ask for them. The help is not fluent in English, but is friendly enough.

We found Arezzo to be well situated for touring Tuscany. We spent one day exporing the town and the rest of the time we took day trips to nearby places of interest. Among worthwhile day-trips are: Sienna, Montepulciano, Cortona, Pisa and Fierenze (Florence). We used the train to go to Florence and the kids really loved this aspect. It is also quite relaxing to sit back and see the countryside during the train ride.

Overall, a wonderful trip. We hope to return one day.

• Stayed: August 2005
3  Thank 4tunate
Reviewed January 7, 2006

We returned to Villa i Bossi and booked it out for a family event in October 2005. Once again the villa was perfect.

Francesca as usual was the hostess with the mostess, on many occasions going out of her way to help us with arrangments.

This place is beautiful, homely, comfortable, interesting and relaxing.

We will return again!

• Stayed: October 2005
1  Thank PhilippaL
Reviewed July 8, 2005

No reallly. For the first time ever after a long trip, we weren't in any hurry to get home. Francesca and Francesco are THE hosts in Italy. Our whole plan after 5 days in Rome was to use Villa i Bossi as a base to see Umbria and Tuscany. We really saw more of the pool than anything. It is the Ideal place to see everything in both provinces tho'. Other guests made easy day trips to Sienna, Pisa, Lucca, San Gimingnano, The Wine Towns, Florence and Cortona. Well, we made it to Cortona! We also spent alot of time at the Prada outlet and The Outlet mall. Both are only a twenty to thirty minute drive.

It's the Villa itself and the Albergotti family that made us want to stay at home. I say home, because it's how you feel immediatly. The place is immaculate. From the formal gardens, to the pristine pool to the history of the villa and the room we stayed in, it was heaven on earth. This home has not one, but two della Robia's!

As a dog lover who missed his own dog, the family's dogs were a blast to have around to play with.

A typical day went like this: Wake up after a peaceful nights sleep and go out to breakfast at the outdoor terrace. Decide what to do during the day and do it. Rush back to jump in the pool and cool off. Go up to the jacuzzi and the relaxation of the jets and the view of the villa with the mountains behind it have made you the most relaxed you've ever been in life. Francesca usually would recommend somewhere to eat in town (Arezzo), and we'd have one never to forget meal after another.

One of the biggest highlights for us was making a great friendship with 2 other guests that were there from Scotland. Others were, Francesca - a new friend, the 7 foot high hedge of honeysuckles around the pool for fragrance, the only sounds you hear are the birds, Francesca's family and friends, the staff, wandering around the gardens, line drying our laundry, and I can't say her name enough - Francesca! If she doesn't make you feel at home and welcome, no one can!

The good news is that instead of doing two weeks in Germany next year, we're doing one in Germany and then back for one wonderful week at Villa i Bossi!

• Stayed: June 2005
7  Thank carlhag
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed June 14, 2005

My mother and I just returned from two weeks in Tuscany and this was our favorite place to have stayed. I had read about it in a magazine, but knew nothing beyond a brief call out in an article on Tuscany. It turned out to be all we had hoped for and more.

Upon arrival, you drive up to a beautiful house with a tree covered drive. An antique gate lets you into the grounds where the scene is perfectly picturesque. The family has done an excellent job of keeping the building and grounds feeling like a traditional villa, but with all the modern comforts you would seek.

We stayed in the building across from the main house which we loved. Our room was very attractively decorated with a large bathroom and new shower. In the same building there was a main "living room" with couches, a dining table, a fireplace, games, books etc. Both nights we came back after dinner and used this room as we would our own living room, relaxing on the couches, drinking wine.

There is also a communal kitchen where snacks and kitchenware are available to all guests. Two days we bought lunch from the adorable little store down the street (in quick walking distance) and ate it at the covered table outside by the pool. Breakfast is also served every morning (weather permitting outside). The food was tasty, and we got to know the other guests this way which was great. There is even a hot tub up from the pool.

You do need a car as the villa is about 3km outside Arezzo and you will probably want to explore the nearby towns in addition to Arezzo. The entrance to the autostrada is easy to access and there is a nice two lane road to Cortona which is only about 35km away.

Overall, for us, the experience was perfect. Francesca is a wonderfully warm and attentive hostess. We really felt like we were guests at her home, not just tourists staying at a hotel. The views are spectacular and you really feel like you are a part of Tuscany. We felt the price was quite reasonable for all that you received and we would recommend anyone to stay there.

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
London UK
Reviewed June 7, 2005

Quite simply one of the best places I've every stayed at. The location, the rooms, the pool, the villa, host Francesca and her family, all utterly perfect. Going here is an experience in itself - you will find it hard to tear yourself away to explore the countryside. Would recommend, however, that you book a room in the new annex the 'Orangerie' rather than the main house if you are after more modern, spacious accommodation

• Stayed: May 2005
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
London, UK
Reviewed August 30, 2004

I visited Villa I Bossi with a group of old friends from around the world. We have nothing but good things to say about this place.

The villa itself and the surrounding grounds are magical. There's a great mix of the traditional and modern here. The main house offers rooms oozing with rustic Tuscan charm, while the new Orangery annex boasts comfortable contemporary accommodation. The pool and cabana area are the perfect setting for a hearty Tuscan lunch and breakfast on the terrace each morning was the perfect way to wake up.

One of the main attractions of Villa I Bossi is its hostess: Francesca Albergotti. Nothing was too much trouble when we stayed there. We asked for a dinner reservation in a typical Tuscan restaurant where locals would go to eat. Francesca sent us to a wonderful villa in the hills where we were the only non-Italians. Next we asked for a slap-up dinner in nearby Arezzo. Francesca secured us an outside table under the arches that abut the town square. But the piece de resistance was an all day italian cooking lesson run for us by Francesca and her chatty American-Italian friend. They took us to the markets in the morning to buy our food. They supplied us with litres of olive oil and wine all produced at the estate. They guided us in the finer points of pasta making and zucchini flower stuffing. And, when we had cooked (and drunk) to our hearts' content, we sat down to an 8 course meal made, in part (okay, in small part) by our own hands.

In short, we had a sublime holiday and I would unreservedly recommend Villa I Bossi.

8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member