“Beautiful Piazza”

and up
Cortona and Arezzo Full-Day Small-Group Tour from Rome
Ranked #1 of 96 things to do in Arezzo
More attraction details
Owner description: The spacious and lovely main square features the Town Hall, which dates back to the 6th century.
Reviewed October 4, 2012

Beautiful Piazza where La Vita et Bella was filmed. Two nice cafes & nice antique & food shops. Don't miss it.

Reviewed September 30, 2012

I found a great butcher just off the piazza - this is the spot to buy beef or vitello from chianina cattle. It's the best. They are indigenous. They are enormous. Calves can be born at 50kg.

Cortona is Etruscan. Pure. This breed has been valued BC. You are eating history here.

So, whether its a tagliata , bistecca or a carpaccio you favour use Chianina meat from Cortona and cab be at one with a long history of bovine beauty.

I shouldn't write these comments in bed at night, I need to get up now and go eat something. Too late for cooking , maybe a little carpaccio with lemon and arugula...

Reviewed September 24, 2012

the loveliest town square I have ever seen in Italy - and probably anywhere else. Unspoilt, and when we saw it on a warm September lunchtime, almost deserted. Really, we should not be raving about it or more people will want to see it! Three cafes, of which we chose one of the two cheap ones, and I could have sat there all day. Hard to say why it is so special but I found it far more attractive than the Campo in Siena. Funny thing is, they call it the Piazza Grande but, actually, it isn't grand. It just..is...
We bought a beautiful, large plate at Arete, a pottery studio on the Piazza. Real, local majolica, made by the owner and sold to us by a charming young woman who was her apprentice. I have it on my kitchen wall. It reminds me of the Piazza and all that was best about the holiday.

1  Thank frigate
Reviewed September 10, 2012

It can compete with the piazza del Campo in Siena for the most beautiful piazza in Europe. For fans of the movie "la vita e bella" this piazza is a must see, because it brings back memories of this great movie

Reviewed July 26, 2012

This is a wonderful piazza, relatively small, and very warm and friendly. It is a nice place to rest between exploring all the side streets.