“Only worth it if you have the set meal.”

Buca di San Francesco
Ranked #118 of 489 Restaurants in Arezzo
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Charlbury, United Kingdom
“Only worth it if you have the set meal.”
Reviewed October 27, 2013

Right next to the wonderful Piero della Francesca frescoes in the Basilica San Francesco, therefore very handy if you are waiting for your timed slot to come up but otherwise poor.
Lack lustre menu poorly presented by bored staff. I had the second worst risotto of my life in this establishment. Not cheap unless you have the set meal which was the usual tourist stuff. Although the fact that it is a cellar was welcome on a hot day, it is frankly gloomy down there. I would not bother to go again, in this charming City I am sure there are many better places to eat.

• Visited August 2013

Coronado, California
“Good food in the basement”
Reviewed October 10, 2013

Read about this place on the AFAR website. Mario seems nice. He seemed to not want to chat with me, the single guy in the corner who didn't speak italian, but everyone else got charmed.

The multi-course specials are different everyday. I had no idea what was coming but it was great. The interior itself is an experience. The best setting of any restaurant in Arezzo. Definitely worth the stop. It's down the steps, down the alley...don't blink or you'll miss it.

• Visited October 2013
Arcadia, California
“In a 14th century cellar”
Reviewed October 9, 2013

We loved everything about this tratoria. It is located just across from the San Francesco Church in a little cellar. The proprietor will do everything to make your experience wonderful. We just told him we had no idea what we wanted and he created a veritable feast for us at a reasonable price

Visited September 2013
San Diego, California
“Fantastic Lunch!!”
Reviewed June 22, 2013

Wow! We've been coming to Arezzo for 3 years.... several times each year. Because of the close proximity to Piazza San Francesco, we thought it would be a tourist trap, so we never ate here.... UNTIL TODAY. We thought we'd give it a try as we had nothing to lose. We were so hungry. Let me tell you! We are so glad to have found this awesome spot. We can't wait to go back for dinner sometime soon.
The restaurant is so charming.... plus it's the "coolest" restaurant we've eaten in this week. By cool, I mean temperature. All other restaurants have been really warm with the hot air outside. Not this one. Thanks!
Although the owner spent all of his time charming another table, he looked to be a welcoming character. Too bad he didn't visit our table.
Anyway, we had terrific service and the food was quite good. We ordered 1/2 liter of red wine, two pasta dishes, and a salad. My pasta, the tagliolini with funghi and ricotta were out of control good! It will be up for my coveted Golden Pasta Award that I give after each trip to Italy. It was soooo good. My partner had the maltagliati with pomodori and ricotta. It looked liked a deconstructed lasagna, but he wouldn't share because he said it was so good. Very simple tasting, but delicious. He devoured it.
I gotta say that were stuffed after our pasta dishes and didn't feel like having our salads. At this point, they had also brought to small appetizers "on the house." One was a small sample of panzanella salad (bread-veggie salad) and one was fried sage leaves. DELICIOUS.... and it was a nice touch.
Nonetheless, the salads came.... two types of lettuce (arugula and a buttery type lettuce), roasted beets, carrots, and tomato slices. Topped with EVOO and balsamic vinegar. Even though we were already full, we ate it all. Fresh and tasty.
We topped off our lunch with an espresso. PLUS, they also brought (again, on the house) a taste of vin santo for each of us.
This was such a nice, yet surprising, experience. Don't let the proximity to the piazza scare you. It was GREAT. We will definitely be back soon. (But next time, we want the owner to visit our table too.)
Ciao... and Enjoy.
(If you appreciate this review, please LIKE.)

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Alex A
Scottsdale, AZ
“Buca and Arezzo highlights of our trip”
Reviewed May 23, 2013

This absolutely charming restaurant with its simpatico owner provided a wonderful dining experience for us. We each selected a different version of the menu for the day, and were each delighted with what we were served as well as with the little surprises. First, a complimentary appetizer "panzanella" prepared by Mario de Filippis, the owner, who also gave me the recipe. My ribboletti and pork dish were typically Tuscan and the little honey cake was delicious. Then came the vin sante, a nice end to the meal. When we refused coffee, Mario appeared with two coffee cups . . . but, in them, a Perugia chocolate. Along with our bill of slightly under 50 euros including two half carafes of wine, one red, one white, we received an envelope with samples of Mario's collection of ex libris bookplates. The walls of the cellar restaurant were liberally decorated with these as well, along with many other interesting items. The cellar was a rich visual experience and the dining experience was delightful and one that I would love to repeat.

• Visited May 2013