“Eat here”

Ranked #5 of 500 Restaurants in Arezzo
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed June 28, 2014

There are already a lot of reviews of this restaurant, so I normally wouldn't bother, but we just had dinner at Antica Fonte and it was fantastic. The outdoor seating area was perfect for a summer evening dinner, the waitstaff were friendly and helpful, and the food was excellent. The lemon and mint tagliatelle was fresh and flavorful and my husband's beef cheeks chianina were tender and moist. The total bill was quite reasonable for antipasto (uno per due on the tartino verdure--one order was more than large enough for two and it was excellent), a bottle of wine, 2 entrees, 2 bottles of water and dessert--59 euros. We will definitely become regulars.

2  Thank mcmash

Reviewed June 22, 2014

This Saturday was the night of a festival in Arezzo so we were a bit worried about finding a restaurant at such a busy time. Trip Advisor reviews led us here, particularly as it was described as slightly off the tourist track (by only a few minutes). We arrived a bit early for dinner, maybe 6:45, but we were promptly shown to an excellent table outdoors. Wine and water were on the table within minutes. The menu has only a few choices - always a good sign in my opinion. My husband had bread with a selection of toppings for the antipasti - mushroom, chilli tomato, and something he loved but we aren't sure what it was. I had bruschetta with three different toppings, all excellent and fresh. We moved on to the pasta course and had four different plates to sample - just fantastic flavours (lemon and mint the best). Onto the meat course, though we were so full by then. Luckily we ordered two meat plates to share between four of us (one fish, brilliantly cooked and with garbanzo beans; one beef with chianti sauce and other beans we could not identity). The wine, food, atmosphere and service were excellent. We could have skipped the meat course (though it would have been a shame to miss out on a real culinary treat!)- but the portions were very generous throughout the meal. Not touristy at all, friendly waiter who was brilliant at explaining the menu. Very reasonably priced for the quality of the food and service.

1  Thank MrsFrogg
Reviewed May 30, 2014

After a few evenings eating at pizzarias, I was recommended by the hotel receptionist to Anticafonte. It's a bit off the main tourist drag, but only five minutes. And not another tourist in sight. I went there two nights in succession: on the first a local luminary was holding forth at the next table to some spell-bound acolytes and on the second I was next to what appeared to be some old school friends, cheerfully competing on, maybe, who was prospering most. You can tell proper Italian restaurants because there are always at least a couple of tables occupied by boistrous families or disputational good friends.
I don't have Italian but the pretty waitress helped me through an encouragingly short menu - a choice of maybe five or six items per course. A good sort of vegitable quiche as a starter and then deliciously prepared beef. On the second, a starter of various pates with toast and then a little joint of pork and bacon. What impressed me too was that when I complained that my carafe of white wine was not cold, they immediately replaced it with a bottle or rather good local Tuscan chardonnay. ABC - Anything But Cardonnay - did not apply to that. The bill for two courses, wine and a double expresso came to just over 30 euros. A small price for good food and friendly, attentive service,

CrewkerneClint

Reviewed February 23, 2014

I love everything about this restaurant - ambience, food and wine, service - it's just simoly perfection! The owners even took time to chat with us and recommend to us the best they can offer. I love the antipasti - the liver pate - most especially. Pasta was also great - I happen to like two kinds on the menu - one of the owners offered to serve me half of each of kind so I can try both! Lovely!!!

Reviewed December 10, 2013

We attended the October Antique Fair in Arezzo and stumbled upon Osteria Anticafonte on our way back to our car. Their impressive collection of Trip Advisor and local award stickers on their window told us this must be a good choice so we went inside. They had just opened and we were the first table seated. We ordered wine, a combination starter plate and entrees and it was all delicious. They have a limited menu, but their entree choices are different from any other restaurant we ate at in Tuscany. My entree translated to something like a sweet and sour sliced roast beef with gravy and carmelized onions on the side. The beef melted in your mouth and the onions were like sweet little candies. Can't remember what my husband ordered but it was yummy too. Would definitely recommend this lovely little restaurant! Read more about our day at the Arezzo on my travel blog, Busy Bee Traveler, Arezzo Antique Fair, Tuscany, Italy.