Grand Hotel Dei Cesari
TripAdvisor
TripAdvisor
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
All reviewspool bargood sizesea frontscrambled eggstrain stationsmall shopcoffee machinecleaned every dayamazing staffsea viewmin walkbalconybeachlanguageboardconferencedevice
Reviewed January 26, 2014

Stayed for 3 nights B&B as part of a small group of friends who were visiting for a birthday party and as my bill was paid for me I cannot comment on value for money for the hotel.

I stayed in the 4* main building and found hotel pleasant enough during my short stay. My stay was very much restricted to using it as a base for visiting my friends in the afternoons and evenings so can only comment on breakfasts which were pleasant enough.
Facilities include Fitness Suite at side of main building and a swimming pool and sun-lounging area near the beach which is accessed through a tunnel under the coast road. This tunnel also acts as the access to the 3* annex accommodation.

The hotel was not busy at the start of my stay but I noted the arrival of a coach party of tourists who were using the hotel as a seaside base whilst visiting Rome ( over 1 hour away by road and 50 minutes by train from Anzio Colonia Station ).

Anzio, (about a 15 minute walk away) is is a sleepy seaside town with lots of restaurants in town and the surrounding area. The wartime museum in Anzio is small and illustrates the US army landings during WW2, it is manned by volunteers and is worth a short visit.

Main drawback of my stay was the extra firm mattress on my bed which if I had been staying for longer I would have asked to have changed as I did not enjoy a good quality of sleep for the 3 nights I stayed in May last year.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Chilled-outTraveller
Reviewed October 25, 2013 via mobile

While Anzio clears out and gets less crowded in October I cannot think of a nicer time to be there. The grand Hotel is a perfectly located, comfortable and great value. All the amenities we needed and the staff was very helpful in setting us up with activities, restaurants and guides. THANK YOU!!!!

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Dennis G
Reviewed October 19, 2013

We were staying in Anzio out of season and do not like fish, most of the resort restaurants were long closed,so we booked into the hotel restaurant for our evening meal. We were told the cost would be 30 euro each, however the menu looked inviting so we went ahead. What a mistake.
We were seated and served within 2 minutes of arriving, the first course was pasta, which was of a reasonable standard. No sooner had we finished than the main course arrived immediately. Both the Chicken and Veal were of a very poor standard, dry and uninviting. We were given the 'table d'hote' vegetables, which frankly had seen better days and at no time offered any alternative, although these were on the menu. We were then offered desert, which I declined, and my husband chose tiramisu. What arrived was a part frozen/part warm desert, which had obviously been taken from the freezer and microwaved. On sending it back we were told that desert was extra anyway, but that we would not be charged for it !
We were finished within 38 minutes of being seated - is this a record? The total bill for our meal, one glass of wine and one beer was in excess of 75 euros. Poor value for a meal which had been practicaly thrown at us, and was largely inedible. Not to be recommended.

Room Tip: The lounge looked rather nice.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Holidaylover091
Reviewed October 17, 2013

We came for business to Anzio, Italy. Our host booked the hotel for us, so we had no idea about the place. The breakfast is a shame for the country of Italy which is known for great food. The coffee machine was broken and not serviced. I had the whole day heartburn from the mess that came out of that thing. The waiters were sleeping with open eyes and hided in the biggest possible distance from us. No Plates on the breakfast tables, no cuttlery. I needed to go to them and ask for it. The sausages for the egg were so smeary and greasy you can lubricate your car with them ! A total mess do not even try the restaurant . We checked out and went into another Hotel. The other review you can read here as well

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Alexu2001
Reviewed August 20, 2013

We were very warmly welcomed. Bit of a trek to our room, through the tunnel (under the road) and past the swimming pool. But well worth it as sitting on the balcony you could see the private hotel beaches and views of the sea.
The bar was very comfortable and welcoming (the TV was turned down as soon as we asked)
The waiter recommended the fish, I went with Chicken and regretted it when I compared my friends fabulous fish with my meager chicken escalope. Wish I had stuck to the buffet and the fish
Although the hotel appeared to be both huge and busy everything was very efficient and welcoming, a very slick operation
Just wish we had had more time to enjoy the private beach and swimming pool

Room Tip: Ask for a room over loooking the beach
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends