“Not Bad”

Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Anzio
Pohang, South Korea
“Not Bad”
Reviewed January 24, 2012

The Dei Cesari is definetly an out-dated hotel, which can be seen as charming or depressing. What the hotel does have is professional staff, and a beautful coastline as a backdrop. As mentioned the building is split into two different wings. If you are in the main building (where reception is) you must go through an underground tunnel to get to the beach. The hotel's own beach area is, well, not memorable. However, all one needs to do is walk about 8 minutes along the beach in order to get a nicer resting area.

Breakfast was sparse, but enough. I didn't try any other meal at the hotel. Around the hotel are a handful of restuarants, but not too many. However, I had one of my best meals in Italy in Anzio; and it wasn't crazy expensive. Anzio is a costal town, so try the Sea food.

Rome isn't exactly close, but it's not crazy far. The train station is a 5 minute walk from the hotel. If I remember correctly, the train ticket from Anzio to rome was about 4 euros each way and it's about a 50 minute train ride entering Rome's central station. The train runs every hour I believe.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
8 Thank jo a

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 26, 2011

I stayed in this hotel for five nights on business in Anzio during the off-season. In a word, it was adequate accommodations, but absolutely nothing special. The building, the decor and the rooms (main building) were all pretty outdated, but the place was kept very clean, everything was serviceable, and the staff were efficient, so what more can one ask?

Downsides: quite bit of road noise for rooms facing the coastal highway, internet was a separate charge, the breakfast was minimalist even for Europe, and there's very little around the hotel for dining alternatives, a real pain as the hotel's restaurant was closed due to the season.

One caution: I agree with others that Anzio is NOT 'near Rome.' It was a solid one-hour drive on a Sunday afternoon in low season. Any guesses on high season in rush hour? I bet double at least.

Room Tip: Ask for main building, and remember that sea view will include highway noise.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank UK_Gator_67
Prince George, BC
Reviewed September 23, 2011

This hotel has two distinct sections: the main building and the annex which is on the seaside of the road. The main building is beautiful, bright, modern and clean. The seaside annex was dark, dirty, musty, cramped and out of date - guess which one our tour company booked us into. The annex was accessed through an underground passage that looked quite honestly like it had been a WW2 bunker - bare, rough concrete walls lit by bare bulbs. The rooms on the annex side had only one thing going for them - that they were on the ocean side of the road. Once we hopped the locked iron gates, we were able to actually dip our toes in the Mediterranean. The morning view from the rooms was wonderful - or rather the view from the balconies outside of the rooms was wonderful. The glass on the almost sliding doors was pitted and dirty so that we couldn't see that well out of them. but once you did get out to the balcony with its peeling paint, the VIEW WAS SPECTACULAR!

A SPECIAL NOTE TO NON EUROPEANS: Anzio has its own charms and is probably a wonderful place to spend a week relaxing on the shore in the summer. However, Anzio is DEFINITELY NOT close to Rome and should NOT be billed as a convenient home base for day trips into the Eternal City. Our tour company told us that Anzio was just a short commute from Rome, and that it would not affect the amount of time we could spend in Rome. On our first morning, the driver had us arise by 6 am so that we could be on the bus by 7 to beat traffic - it didn't work. We were stuck in commuting traffic for nearly 2 hours in the morning, and a full 1 hour when we drove back from Rome at 11 pm that night. That was 3 hours of our short time in Italy spent in a bus instead of wandering around the glories of Rome.

When you go to the Grand Hotel Cesare, ask to stay in the main building and be prepared to drive a lot if you want to see Rome.

Room Tip: Stay away from the ocean side annex.
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank TravelingBeez

Travelers are raving about these Anzio hotels

Bolton, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed September 1, 2011

We found the waiters and waitresses at the hotel to be friendly and very professional. Unfortunately the four star room was a big disappointment. The air conditioning did not work, the bathroom was very small, the shower was very dirty, and when sitting on the toilet your feet were in the shower. Please note that there are no king or queen size beds in this hotel. Two twin beds are pushed together in an attempt to create a larger bed but they move apart. We were eventually moved to the three star hotel connected to the four star. The bathrooms in the three star were new so they were cleaner and the view of the ocean ...simply the best you can get. If you are a fish and pasta lover the food is good, otherwise they will try their best to accommodate you. When they do offer a meat dish it is very good however the chef seems to focus on fish dishes. Rome is a 60 min train ride from the hotel and the train station about 500 meters from the hotel. A cappuccino is 2.5 Euros at the hotel but at a nearby bakery for 0.8 Euros you get a big cappuccino a pastry and a complementary map of Anzio (if you’re new). A quick comment on Rome and Anzio. Rome is full of great historical sites and if it were not for the tourists and expensive restaurants it would be a fun place to spend the week. The centre of Anzio is a 20 min walk from the hotel and a great place to spend your time ( after 4pm when everything opens). The restaurants around Anzio's waterfront are reasonable, the food quality great and the Italians warm and polite.
Please note that If you want to be treated like a VIP bring a baby: customs and even the armed guards at the Vatican will go out of their way to assist you in any way they can...only in Italy.

Room Tip: Ask for the rooms at the 3-star hotel section.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
11 Thank Steel M
Toronto
Reviewed August 19, 2011

I am attempting to give you the most objective and fair report here I can. Remembering that this is just a review of the hotel we stayed at. I should first off mention that we were part of the group who experienced a 36 hour delay in returning home from Rome from Sunwing vacations. You may find it in the news if you Google "Sunwing flight rome to toronto star". I felt it necessary to mention this as it would be necessary to give readers an insight to my frame of mind on this vacation. I am writing this two months later.

Now in regards to the hotel itself. My wife and I are not big spenders by any means. We don't expect everything for nothing. I have learned one valuable lesson staying in a few places. 4 star does not necessarily mean high quality. I will give it to you in point form for those who want the quick analysis. I've probably bored you already.

1. Right on the sea. Literally. You have to walk through an underground tunnel to get to the other side of the hotel where the pool and beach are. They give you a card that you never use for access to that side of the hotel. The tunnel is under the road that splits the property.
2. BRING YOUR OWN TOWEL! They do not provide them unless you want to pay a fee.
3. Only one person at the desk truly speaks enough English to give you realistic answers to your questions.(I am not expecting them to speak English but if you need info then you might be out of luck. I realize I'm in Italy.)
4. The air conditioning does not work in at least two of the rooms there. How do we know this? The first one we stayed in it didn't work. We went to the desk to ask for a new room and they sent someone to our room to check on it. He held his hand up to it and with warm air blowing in he said "See, itsa workin'!" I said "No itsa not!" The compressor never kicked in so it never worked. They finally relented and gave us another room. Same problem. I gave up and left the door open for the rest of the trip.
5. Remember if you want a room with a shower, you have to ask for it. You will end up with just a tub.
6. The pool was nasty. Sorry but its true. When you first walk in the pool area you will think it looks pretty good but upon closer review you will see it hasn't been properly cleaned in ages. I am not exaggerating here when I say the pool is about 7 feet deep in the deepest part. I watched a six foot man jump in and the water was so murky that I could barely see him as he swam at the bottom. Not joking. The other dissuading factor here was the European couple with the baby that had no diaper on swimming in the pool for over a half hour. The baby was maybe one year old. I don't like swimming in toilets. On weekends the hotel is full with locals.
7. The beach is very narrow and the sand is like little pebbles. The water is not clear and it smells fishy.(it is a fishing village)
8. No security box in the rooms. They only have one at the front desk. There are security boxes in the rooms but they don't work. At least the desk did acknowledge this.
9. The phone didn't work in our first room. We had to walk to the desk to ask any questions.
10. The food at the hotel was EXACTLY the same every day. Lucky for us we had only purchased the breakfast plan so we only had to eat breakfast there. It wasn't the worst but if you can't stand the idea of dry cereal, eggs and sausage every day then this place isn't for you.
11. The deck chairs around the pool were decent but could use some updating. They have a convenient little head shade that you flip over to cover your face. Liked that.
12. Pool staff were very attentive and opened and closed the umbrellas for you.
13. I was bitten by sand fleas but my wife was not. No idea how that played out but it usually is the opposite for us in the Caribbean.
14. The food at the pool bar was poor at best. Do yourself a favour and go down the street and by a pizza for 5 Euros. We did this every day we stayed at the resort.
15. No free wi-fi. Gotta pay folks! Very expensive. Very slow. Only works in the hotel lobby too. None in room.

In summary of this hotel, it is very basic. If you are looking for any level of luxury. Look elsewhere. It is just a hotel with a room. My expectations were slightly above what the place delivered. If you want a place outside Rome and are not expecting much then this place will do fine. If you want a place with amenities then don't stay here. You'll be disappointed. I hope you can take something from this. I didn't want to make it worse or better than it was. Sorry if it is long but you are only reading this if you are thinking of staying here. I thought it might help those trying to decide.

I have some tips for people going here.

1. If you take the train to Anzio from Termini Station you want the Nettuno line. Look for it on the numerous station schedules in Termini Station.
2. DON'T get off at Anzio! If you do you have put yourself past the hotel. Get off at Anzio Colonia. This is where the hotel is located. Note that not all trains stop here so you have to review the schedule to make sure which Nettuno trains stop at Anzio Colonia based on the time the train departs Termini Station.
3. You must stamp you ticket in the station. If you do not, you could be fined heavily.
4. SPECIAL NOTE: Seeing as not many people speak English and there are absolutely no help desks in Anzio Colonia, you must stamp your own ticket in Anzio Colonia when going into Rome. There is no stamp machine in Anzio Colonia. You must write your name and date on the ticket yourself. Bring a pen. No one will tell you this. You buy your tickets at the cafe beside the station. No one speaks any English there. NONE.
5. Rome is an hour train ride away. Don't let any travel guide or agent tell you any different. I knew this going in. Not a problem or me.
6. The subway system is VERY easy to use in Rome. If you can't figure it out.....Well...
7. Everyone worries about pickpockets in Rome. I never encountered nor heard of anyone victimized. Be smart. Don't use the ATM with people hanging around and don't take out large sums. Lots of ATM's in Rome. Works fine.
8. Gelato for the most part is fantastic. Some definitely better than others. In Rome the place to go is "San Crispino". Not the friendliest but really good stuff. You don't get North American sized portions so don't expect it.
9. The World War 2 museum in Anzio was kind of neat but I'm a bit of a war buff. You may be bored. Nice artifacts there though.
10. Everything is closed very early in Anzio Colonia. If you want to go to shop late you must take the train or walk very very far to Anzio to the late night market and shops. Some close at midnight.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
10 Thank Retsnom234
mass
Reviewed July 23, 2011

We just returned from Italy and stayed at this hotel for 3 nights. There were two families and we had a quad room, seaside. Contrary to was previously posted “as the worst” vacation every, this hotel is lovely. Our friends room A/C was broken and they made accommodations for them immediately once we reported the issue. The rooms were connected through a well light, updated passageway and the rooms were very clean. Everyone was very friendly and spoke English.

The only slight negative is it is approximately 1.5 miles from the center. The month of July can be brutally hot, but a cab ride one way was 10 euro.

I would definitively recommend this hotel to families and couples.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank lisadig123
Northampton
Reviewed June 14, 2011

We stayed at this hotel for 4 nights for our choir tour to Rome in a group of 40. Our very quiet, air conditioned double room was very spacious and extremely clean, as was the bathroom, and we had a balcony complete with table and chairs with a side sea view. The bed was two singles together with one mattress slightly higher than the other. However, it was very comfortable and although I usually don't sleep well, I had four very good nights' rest here. There is an easy access to the hotel's private part of the beach, for which a small charge is made, though a few yards further on the beach is free. There is a very nice swimming pool and sun bathing area for which the charge, I think, is about 7euros. There is a very pleasant, large, plant filled and part-shaded patio area at the frontt of the hotel with many tables and chairs for having a coffee or drink or eating outside, which was kept looking very clean and smart throughout our visit.

Once we had smiled a lot and tried out some tentative words of Italian with the hotel staff they were very helpful and accommodating. We mostly got back quite late at night but nothing was too much trouble for the bar staff and, indeed, the staff at our early breakfasts when we had to dash off for another rehearsal/concert.

We ate in only on one occasion and the food was edible though unimaginative, especially for vegetarians considering the overall ambience of the hotel and the fact that we were in the home of pasta! Breakfasts were ok with some rather dull cereals and fruit and I think there was some ham but the beverages were hot and plentiful with especially good coffee. Boiled eggs, scrambled eggs which actually tasted a lot better than they looked , and sausage were also on offer, as was some bread which you could toast. There was also a selection of croissants and the staff kept everything well replenished.

Overall this was a very acceptable 4* hotel in a very pleasant area. Anzio itself is a lovely seaside place, especially for families, but it is NOT only 40 minutes from Rome as we expected from our Tour Company's comments - more like one to one and a half hours, depending on the traffic if you go by road, though the train station is about 10 minutes walk away and the journey takes about 1 hour. I would be happy to stay here again for an Italian seaside holiday.

Room Tip: Try using some Italian words of greeting!
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank maggsie68
Also consider these accommodations in or near Anzio
Hotel L'Approdo
#9 of 11 in Anzio
Hotel Lido Garda
Hotel Lido Garda
#7 of 11 in Anzio

Been to Grand Hotel Dei Cesari? Share your experiences!