“Good food, but...”

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Enoclub is another fine restaurant that’s worthy of multiple visits. However, for me, I don’t like the physical location. It’s in the middle of the city, which leads to several issues like parking and finding the restaurant if this is your first time visiting Alba. Enoclub is in Piazza Savona where you won’t see it, any address – or anything identifying Piazza Savona - from your car, so you don’t even have any idea that you need to park in this Piazza Savona area. First bit of advice: look at a map before you drive!

One can easily see why the place is popular. Locals and wine professionals always have great things to say about it. This brings me to my second reason why this isn’t “my kind of place”: it’s popular and any fool can and will be in it. I don’t like crowds, even when they are all wine professionals.

Still, there are lots of great things about Enoclub! There is an excellent wine bar above the restaurant which is subterranean – so don’t come for the view! The remodeled cellar has a great ambiance and has that high-quality mix of old cellar and modern technology. The tables are all first class linens, settings and stemware.

The short menu had many interesting things on it, allowing us to be adventurous. Like most Italian restaurants, the tossed green salad is absent. I find it really odd that salads of the green-type are not on too many menus; nor are vegetables readily, obviously available. However, these are good people at Enoclub! They speak English and completely understood my companions’ need for a big, crisp, green salad! I also loved the plate of assorted salts that came out with the salads; various herbed, Hawaiian, black, pink etc.

The preparation and presentation of the plates were attention-grabbing and we all enjoyed the seasonal fare. We ordered caramelized Duck, Braised Guanciale, baked Lamb, and fried Pork. As a whole we traded bite and most of us enjoyed everything. The bill wasn’t cheap, but not outrageous, either. I never saw the actual bill (thanks, Kara & Dale!), but a sample menu is on the web with prices.

Excellent in every way accept for the personal issues I detail above. Because of which, I can't give it 5 stars.

2  Thank hoohoolian

Reviewed April 22, 2013

My husband and I had dinner here in April. It had been recommended to us by several locals and we were not disappointed! This restaurant is located in the cellar below the main square (they have a restaurant above with different menu) in a pretty bricked vault type space. The menu had many wonderful things to choose from - all local and seasonal ingredients.

The service was friendly and efficient (maybe they have read Tripadvisor) and the food was fantastic. From the amuse bouche to the petite fours it never failed. Not sure why they don't have a Michelin star. My husand had the friend sardines for a starter and we both had the shrimp, asparagus risotto - truly delicious.

Reviewed April 9, 2013

The service was terrible and the food was average. It took asking for the bill 3 times over 45 min to actually get it. Food came out totally out of sync as well, some peoples entrees were served with others appetizers. Just poor all around.

3  Thank NYCLonghorn
Reviewed November 16, 2012

Booked this ahead of our three days in Alba due to reading between the lines of the website and TripAdvisor. It's below the Caffe Umberto in the Piazza Savona. Early for our 7:30 dinner reservation and made to feel a little guilty although they insisted it wasn't a problem. Seated in the "wine cellar" room - large brick walled room with a big curved ceiling and good lighting.

Decided not to have one of "Prix Fixe" dinners, and ordered from the menu. Everyone in our party of four loved their choices and I had one of the most memorable starters I've ever had. Sounds awful, but the cauliflower souffle was magnificent. And we were very happy with all the dishes. The sommelier/maitre d' was a little stuffy at first, but was happy to discuss wines with us once he found out we knew quite a bit but not a much as he did. There was a very large table of tourists next to us. They were not out of line, but it was difficult for us to finish our dinner in peace. We explained, and were happily moved to the other "vault" room, which had smaller tables and I think was the room of choice for locals and those who knew.

Once the sommelier loosened up and realised we were not Ugly you know what, we had a fine time. Would definitely return but make sure we were in the "small table" room.

Reviewed November 14, 2012

Located in the basement on the Piazza Savona, this is a formal upmarket restaurant with prices to match. Eveything came on big white plates artistically arranged. We had a complementary starter, carpaccio with truffles, cheese tart with onion compote, veal cheeks, veal fillet, a bottle of Barbera d'Alba and espresso.The service was correct but a little too stiff and cold. It's too bad some of the other tourists eating here couldn't have dressed up a little for this kind of restaurant.