“Basic Accommodations - Good Value, Great Location for the Truffle Festival”

Hotel Ristorante I Castelli
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Alba
New York City, New York
“Basic Accommodations - Good Value, Great Location for the Truffle Festival”
Reviewed December 9, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights from 10/18-10/21. We were in town for the Truffle Festival and were lucky to get a room in town (I think it was the last room in fact). The room was very basic but clean and comfortable. Parking was easy and there were plenty of spots (even on this busy weekend). The elevators were some of the slowest elevators I have ever seen. It was often just quicker to walk. The room came with breakfast which was nice and included eggs, pastries, charcuterie, coffee, tea and fruits.

The location and staff is what makes this hotel stand out. It is on the edge of town so it is easy to get into and out of the hotel with a car (which is a must BTW) and, since the town is not all that big, it is an easy 5 minute walk to the heart of the festivities. Being a busy weekend for the Truffle Festival we appreciated the convenience as traffic can get quite bad closer to the center. We were particularly grateful on that Friday night. The local wineries provide a free tasting down the main street. By the end of the street we were in no condition to drive and enjoyed the short walk back to the room.

The staff was exceedingly friendly and helpful. We had to check out very early on our last day and they gave my wife a free coffee while she waited for me to get the car. They were able to help us with directions and gave us information on the festival that was very helpful.

There is a restaurant on the roof which gets good reviews, but with the plethora of Michelin Star restaurants in the area we did not get a chance to try.

All in all, we really enjoyed our stay in Alba. The hotel was in a perfect location, provided simple/clean accommodations and we wouldn't hesitate to recommend it for those who want an affordable hotel and save their money to enjoy the food and wine of the region.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank ML016
donatella c, Responsabile reception at Hotel Ristorante I Castelli, responded to this review, February 20, 2014
What can we say? your review is for us a good publicity and we thank you very much.
Hoping to see you soon, best regards
Monica

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
England
Reviewed November 1, 2013

Stayed here during the Bra cheese festival. Easy drive to Bra. Very comfortable, modern hotel with lots of space(though we did have a suite). Wifi worked fine. Plentiful parking underground and easy walk to town centre. Good breakfast. Staff generally helpful and friendly. larger than usual selection of toiletries in the bathroom. Rooftop restaurant was probably one of the best in town and not much more expensive than others we tried in town-- saving us the walk and exploring when we arrived in the evening. I regret several of my other restaurant choices in the town later on and wished I stayed put. I think the nutella factory is on the next block as one evening, there was the most delicious smell outside.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
donatella c, Responsabile reception at Hotel Ristorante I Castelli, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Dears,

thank you for the wonderful review.
We hope to see you soon in our hotel.
Best Regards
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed October 7, 2013

Our family of three stayed here for two nights. The family room was very spacious and included a king size bed, single bed, and a sitting area. The room was clean and quiet, the beds were very comfortable, and the air conditioning worked well in the heat of the summer. The breakfast buffet was very good with many choices. The wifi worked smoothly for all of our devices. The front desk staff were friendly and spoke English fairly well. We loved the old town of Alba which was a short walk away, as well as the beautiful Piedmont area. We would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dears,

we are happy to have contributed to make your stay in Alba pleasant.
Denton TX
Reviewed June 28, 2013

There is really only one main reason for staying in Alba, and that is as a base for wine tasting. Otherwise there is not much to see in the cobbled streets of Alba. This hotel is well located within walking distance of the centre. The staff are friendly and helpful. The rooms and spacious and quiet. My main criticism was the faulty electronic door card mechanism, which left me stranded outside the room trying many times before I could gain entry. I reported this fact a number of times, but the problem was never fixed and I think the staff felt it was operator error. if you are staying in room 322 you will be aware of the problems. Other than that, the in room safe was broken and there were some other minor maintenance issues consistent with the age of the hotel. Comfortable and recommended.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the front of the hotel. The view is much better over the park opposite, and the so...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 16, 2013 via mobile

The hotel room are very spacious and clean. Not the little boutique hotel with little special touch but very pleasant and good bed. Breakfast is good and what we like most is the really helpful and really friendly receptionists. Really pleasant compare to the Burgundy region.
Also the location is very ideal and it is only 100m away from the town center. Underground car park is available.

I would recommend anyone to stay there.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank pscw
donatella c, Responsabile reception at Hotel Ristorante I Castelli, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Hoping to see you soon, best regards
Monica
New York
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I came here for a wine tasting conference and asked the agency for a 4 star hotel. When they quoted me 95 euros I became concerned as this is really a 2 star price. But when you arrive you realize you are getting four star service in a poorly decorated 3 star hotel which is fine by me for the price and convenience of location. Rooms is larger than average and the breakfast is complete with eggs, cheeses, yogurts, cakes, really good coffee and juices. The breakfast servers are friendly and animated and work very hard. I think they deserve a few extra euros for their excellent work. I would stay here again, plus or minus a few stars!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Geneva
Reviewed November 30, 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights during the truffle festival and the hotel was ideal for such an occasion. As mentioned, the beds and the rooms are large and quiet, however they are rather basic.

The hotel has a restaurant, however be aware that it's opening hours are rather short and that room service only operates while the restaurant is open. This could have caused us a problem as we arrived after 10pm, but we luckily found a pizzeria 5 mins away which served great food until after 11pm.

The staff were very helpful in giving directions etc and the breakfast was plentiful and enjoyable.

Secure underground parking was an added bonus.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alba
Hotel Calissano
#6 of 10 in Alba
Castello di Guarene
Castello di Guarene
#1 of 3 in Guarene

Been to Hotel Ristorante I Castelli? Share your experiences!