“I don't "get" truffles”

Dining options: Reservations
Sparta, New Jersey
“I don't "get" truffles”
Reviewed November 23, 2012

I loved this restaurant, but I don't "get" truffles. The price fixed lunch for twenty some euros, including antipasto, pasta, main course with vegatables, and dessert, is a good deal, and the food is delicious. My husband ordered off the regular menu, and he was quite pleased.

We stayed north of Asti for two nights in October 2012, at the height of the white truffle season in Alba, so of course we had to try tartufo for lunch in the region it is most famous. Under glass domes in shops we saw white truffles on display, for sale at several hundred euros each. I found Vigin Mudest in a guide book, and it lived up to its review. This small restaurant on a side street has great atmosphere. The tables are close (as in New York City inches apart close) but that adds to the charm. Europeans, from what I saw in this restaurant, this town, this region, literaly worship the tartufo. Diners to my left, two men from Torino who told us they just had to come for lunch for the tortufo, and diners to my left, who spoke what I believe was German and who ordered the same price fixed lunch I did, actualy moaned with delight as they ate their lunch with tartufo.

I'm game, I'm an Italian-American woman in her fifties on vacation in Italy, I consider myself of sophisticated palate. I thought twice about ordering the white tartufo shavings on my pasta course, which added 46 euro to the dish, but I asked myself, "When will I be in the truffle capital of Europe again, at the height of truffle season?" I decided to splurge on a once in a lifetime culinary experience.

I ate the truffle shavings, by themselves and with the pasta. My husband tried the truffle shavings. We asked the other what we thought. Whispering to each other so as not to offend our European fellow diners or appear to be boorish foreigners, we admitted that we couldn't taste them! We cleared our palates with water, tried again, and we still could not taste the tartufo. Our fellow diners were in bliss, and we just didn't get it.

Our inability to appreciate the white tartufo in no way diminishes our experience at Vigin Mudest. The restaurant is great, and I would recommend it. Unless you know you love tartufo however, I would skip the white tartufo shavings, or I might recommend that you try the black tartufo shavings for 18 euros.

• Visited October 2012

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
Los Angeles, California
“Cucina tipica Albese- and a great one!”
Reviewed October 27, 2012

If you visit the Truffle Capital of the world (Alba), please, make sure you do not miss this restaurant. Small, family owned and loved and recommended to us by locals- tells you a lot.
The hospitality was above what we expected, the atmosphere, interior -very appealing.
We loved the wine selection and of course, we l-o-o-o-ved the food!
I had rabbit with some vegetables, prepared just exactly as I wanted it to be and my husband had veal stew with porcini mushrooms- told me it was superb!
The owner treated us like a family and we had a nice chat with him. As I am writing it I am almost crying, because I can not dine there tonight.

• Visited September 2012
Calistoga, California
“A sad experience”
Reviewed January 29, 2012

My husband and I had lunch here during our stay in Alba this past October during the Truffle Festival. I believe it is a popular restaurant with locals and perhaps our experience was not usual, however, I am sorry to say that we had a completely unsatisfactory and sad visit. The restaurant looked nice and we dropped in one evening to make a reservation for lunch the next day. We were pleasantly greeted and a man (manager?) who assured us that we could eat at an outside table if the weather were nice, etc. We arrived the next day and came inside. No one greeted us and there were just a few tables occupied inside in the main dining room (which was nicely decorated). We decided to sit outside at one of the tables and wait. After some time, a waitress came to us and said that if we chose to eat outside it could be very slow service so we should come in. We reluctantly took her advise. We expected to be led to a table in the main room but were instead taken downstairs into an empty and enclosed basement room with an unpleasant (fluorescent?) light. The room was completely empty. We knew we should have just left. We were given a 2-person table along the side. After a few minutes a very large group of 30-ish apparent work-colleagues came in and filled two long tables in the room. We felt like we were in a beer Keller. We persevered and ordered. The service could only be called perfunctory. We barely got eye-contact and not a smile. The food was plain and ordinary. We ate as quickly as possible, did not see the waitress again and eventually came upstairs to pay. By then the upstairs was 3/4 full with diners and almost all of the outside tables were full! We felt side-lined, ignored and completely unwanted. No problem--we will not be back.

• Visited October 2011