“Interesting church, delicious pastries!”

Abbazia di Santo Spirito
Ranked #17 of 92 things to do in Agrigento
Montevideo, Uruguay
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Interesting church, delicious pastries!”
Reviewed September 12, 2013

The church was supposedly closed that day but we knocked on the door and where received by a young nun that showed us around the church and described the works of art. We could not visit the cloister. The nuns bake and sale delicious pastries with pistacchio and almond. The convent has also a bed & breakfast at very convenient prices.

Visited August 2013

Stuttgart, Germany
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Not very impressive”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

It took us some time to find the Abbazia di Santo Spirito bcause we were coming from the wrong side and had to make a long detour. The church itself we did not find very impressive. We very sitting inside and a none came to us us and asked us for some donation in a somewhat demanding manner. The building next to it with the cloister does not belong to the church but to the city of Agrigento and you have to pay an extra entrance fee.

Visited August 2013
Gloucester, United Kingdom
55 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“Little to see ....”
Reviewed November 13, 2012 via mobile

Very charming, but little to see, one small chapel, one courtyard with palms, no guide books, everything was closed expect for this ...... Disappointing really as it was plugged in the hotel etc

Cumbria
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“A hidden gem”
Reviewed October 12, 2012

The church is closed to the public but we travelled with Riviera whose guide (Rosario) had a private arrangement with the 86-year-old caretaker to open up the church just for us. (The tips made it well worth her while!) The stuccos by Giacomo Serpotta are really impressive, as are the trompe l'oeil windows and dome. The white stucco made the whole interior very light. In my opinion this was one of the best churches we visited whilst in Sicily. We also visited the nuns' 'shop' when we came out of the church, where some people bought marzipan biscuits, and then the adjacent cloisters.

Visited October 2012
new york
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“a must if you visit and stay in Agrigento”
Reviewed September 17, 2012

My husband and I visited not only once but twice, that is how much we loved the sweets made by these local nuns. It is right behind the main shopping street of Agrigento center Via Athena, so a gps and a car is a must. We came here on a Saturday afternoon around 12pm to buy sweets to bring for dinner at my grandmother's house. There are no signs explaining where to buy the sweets and the church was closed, but I noticed a sign for the BB that they run and I saw a buzzer and I buzzed it saying I came all the way from New York to buy the couscous with pistachio and a lady buzzed me in.

They only have two types of sweets one is the famous couscous with pistachios (25 Euros per kilo) and other is cookies (23 Euros per kilo) made with almonds and pistachios. I bought both to try. My husband I decided to donate our change (three Euros), and lady who works for the nuns was shocked and thanked us tremendously for our small donation.

It was delicious and everyone loved it!!! It was so fresh, that I bite into a pistachio shell. We loved the cookies that were called seashells. We loved it so much that we went back the following week to buy another kilo of couscous with pistachios for another dinner we were invited to.

The church was open and old woman, not sure if she worked for the church but asked me for a donation to show me the church and I was honestly turned off by this for her bluntness about this, so I only had spare changed and gave it to her( 50 cents).

We then went next door and they buzzed us in and the same lady who helped us a week before remembered us.

If you are going to be in Agrigento it is a pity if you do not try this local specialty only made by these nuns.

Visited August 2012