“A hidden gem” 5 of 5 bubbles

7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“A hidden gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2012

The church is closed to the public but we travelled with Riviera whose guide (Rosario) had a private arrangement with the 86-year-old caretaker to open up the church just for us. (The tips made it well worth her while!) The stuccos by Giacomo Serpotta are really impressive, as are the trompe l'oeil windows and dome. The white stucco made the whole interior very light. In my opinion this was one of the best churches we visited whilst in Sicily. We also visited the nuns' 'shop' when we came out of the church, where some people bought marzipan biscuits, and then the adjacent cloisters.

Visited October 2012

new york
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“a must if you visit and stay in Agrigento”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012

My husband and I visited not only once but twice, that is how much we loved the sweets made by these local nuns. It is right behind the main shopping street of Agrigento center Via Athena, so a gps and a car is a must. We came here on a Saturday afternoon around 12pm to buy sweets to bring for dinner at my grandmother's house. There are no signs explaining where to buy the sweets and the church was closed, but I noticed a sign for the BB that they run and I saw a buzzer and I buzzed it saying I came all the way from New York to buy the couscous with pistachio and a lady buzzed me in.

They only have two types of sweets one is the famous couscous with pistachios (25 Euros per kilo) and other is cookies (23 Euros per kilo) made with almonds and pistachios. I bought both to try. My husband I decided to donate our change (three Euros), and lady who works for the nuns was shocked and thanked us tremendously for our small donation.

It was delicious and everyone loved it!!! It was so fresh, that I bite into a pistachio shell. We loved the cookies that were called seashells. We loved it so much that we went back the following week to buy another kilo of couscous with pistachios for another dinner we were invited to.

The church was open and old woman, not sure if she worked for the church but asked me for a donation to show me the church and I was honestly turned off by this for her bluntness about this, so I only had spare changed and gave it to her( 50 cents).

We then went next door and they buzzed us in and the same lady who helped us a week before remembered us.

If you are going to be in Agrigento it is a pity if you do not try this local specialty only made by these nuns.

Visited August 2012
Netherlands
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“well...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2012

Lovely building, but you do get the feeling the nuns are in it for the money... they want an 'offerta' to just let you in, and then try to sell you very expensive biscuits.

Visited August 2012
1 Thank NetherlandsSabine
3 attraction reviews
“Couscous with pistachio”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2012 via mobile

Unfortunately the entire structure is closed for various reasons so at the moment it's worth visiting for only two reasons- the architecture (exterior obviously) and to buy the pistachio couscous which is only available from the nuns next door. There is no sign so you have to ring the bell at the door in the corner or ask at the entrance to the church. The couscous is made according to an old and well kept secret. Only at Expanificio restaurant can you eat this dessert which comes directly from the nuns. Half a kilo is sufficient for 4 people and the cookies they make are also highly recommended!