“Goodness gracious, the guidebooks gotta be kidding!”
Review of Il Dehors

Il Dehors
Ranked #109 of 249 Restaurants in Agrigento
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
San Francisco, California
“Goodness gracious, the guidebooks gotta be kidding!”
Reviewed July 10, 2013

This was not only the single worst meal I've ever had in Italy (in 25 or so trips), but might be the single worst meal my wife and I have had ANYWHERE. We are not their enemies, just shocked travelers.

We went because three guidebooks, all supposedly independent, raved about this place. The room is beautiful, and the hotel stunning. A good start. The obsequious staff should have been a warning, but that happens sometimes.

My wife started off with a cold dish described as a salad with strawberries and mint. One strawberry, cut into four pieces, and mostly spoiled (which if I had known would have been sent back), smothered with - can it possibly be?!? - 1000 Island dressing, or at least the Italian equivalent. This would have been simply bad had the strawberry been edible.

My soup was marginally adequate. My wife's second dish was grossly overcooked tuna that might have lain around for a week or so. I made the terrible decision to have veal, which came out as German weinershnitzel. Oh my goodness!

The obsequious waiter asked us how the meal was and I said in a condescending voice, "abastanza bene," certainly no compliment. I should have said "Horribile" and "Non voglio pagare," but I was still in shock.

BTW, the coup de grace was that their credit card line wasn't working. So instead of making us comfortable at the table, they marched me into the manager's office so he could explain. Shouldn't he have come to me?

The only other diners were British travelers who didn't have full menu access. They were laughing and having fun and may not have noticed how bad things were.

My wife was convinced that the restaurant crew was laughing at us, and afterwards, I had to agree. Thank goodness I at least told them the food was mediocre. But mediocre was a gross compliment given what we had.

Minus 5 stars.

• Visited June 2013
2 Thank BigZ17

Herselt, Belgium
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Big disappointment”
Reviewed May 18, 2013

The view is splendid. And the wine list is ok. But in most restaurants in Sicily you will eat better. After one week on the island it was the first real disappointment.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Chrispauwels
Helsinki, Finland
“An insult to Sicilian cuisine”
Reviewed May 9, 2013

Be warned. The food served in the restaurant was the worst we had during our trip. Exclusive wine list and nice venue, but the food... We tried antipasti, plus two different types of primi piattis and main courses. All of them were lousy. - Or what would you say of over-cooked soft fish full of hard tiny bones swimming in sour tomato sauce also full of these bones. Or of "mussel soup" stinking like a sewer. Saw one diner gag, when this very same portion was put in front of him. Eventhough surrounded by unhappy customers poking the food around their plates and many leaving it there, the waiters tried to pretend like nothing was out of ordinary. No questions asked, no apologies expressed - just swift billing after we did not dare to try any of the desserts. We paid over 70 euros for this absolutely unpleasant food experience. Either the chef had a truly bad day or Il Dehors' kitchen is an insult to Sicilian and Italian cuisine.

• Visited April 2013
Boston, Massachusetts
“Only disappointment in Sicily”
Reviewed June 13, 2012

Perhaps it was that the reviews overhyped the place. Perhaps it was that it was Sunday night and the chef was off duty, replaced by stand-ins. I don't like to judge a restaurant on only one meal, but travelers often have no choice. How often will we eat dinner in Agrigento? This is a very pretty place with a lovely view of the temples but the food was overpriced and ordinary on the night we ate there. It was bountiful, it was the chef's menu, but it was without innovation and no better than restaurants we ate at that were 1/2 the price. I don't consider melon and prosciutto an innovate first course, nor is agnoli with pesto anything special, though nothing was wrong with it. The fish was a simply cooked swordfish, no different nor any more innovative than the very nice and simply cooked swordfish we had at a variety of local trattorias for less than 1/2 the price. Salad and desert were equally unmemorable. Again, in fairness to any restaurant, one meal doesn't define the whole, but this meal, at 60 euros a person with wine, was simply overpriced and uninteresting.

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank teezee
NY NY USA
“Dreadful”
Reviewed September 20, 2010

Three weeks in Sicily and everything has been way beyond expectations. But.... this restaurant was our only truly bad experience. The setting could be great but the intense interior lighting obfuscated the view of the temple valley. The food was worse than lackluster. The maitre d' was rude. And said that the wine we ordered was not available and produced an inferior, none local wine and at the end over charged.
We did not stay for dessert. Apparently this place has lost its chef.
Worst experience in Sicily.

2 Thank PaulTB