“Taormina and Mt Etna”

Waldorf
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Taormina and Mt Etna”
Reviewed November 14, 2012

Our party of eight was scheduled to visit Messina as part of our Mediterranean cruise on the Carnival Breeze. In preparation for our visit I looked for a tour of both Taormina and Mt Etna. I found the Sicily Travelnet site on the web, read some reviews, and requested a quote for what we wanted. I was pleased with the quick response, proposed itinerary, and price so we signed up. Unfortunately, a few days into the cruise the weather caused the Captain to cancel our visit to Messina. The cruise folks helped me call and Michele was very inderstanding as we cancelled our trip. Later in the cruise Venice was flooded and we had to skip it which meant we could go to Messina after all. Another call to Michele and we were back in business. So we pulled into Messina on a sunny and clear day and were greeted at the port by our guide Giaccomo. He led us to a beautiful Mercedez small bus/van that was perfect for our group and off we went. As we drove to Taormina, in perfect English he did a marvelous job of explaining the history of the area, its culture, and the sites we were passing. As one of our group had a bad hip he drove us into the center of Taormina and showed us where he would meet us after he parked the vehicle. He then provided a wonderful tour of the city and later took us up to another city that was above it. I have forgotten the name but it was lovely and provided a spectacular view of the area. The size of our van and Giaccomo's skill as a driver allowed this trip - the buses from the cruise ship were too large to go up the narrow road. After our visit we proceeded to Mt. Etna where we ate a late lunch and then walked around one of the smaller of the vents from the volcano. The walk to the largest vent was a little more than we could handle. It was fascinating and Giaccomo did a fabulous job of explaining the landscape and history of the area. A pleasant drive back to the ship where we returned on time and our visit came to an end. Overall it was wonderful and I would recommend it to anyone for quality, service and price. Steve Clark

Visited November 2012
5 Thank Stephen C

East Amherst, NY
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Fantastic tour of Montedoro!”
Reviewed October 31, 2012

Like many Americans of Sicilian descent the desire to return to the town of my grandparents has been a strong one. But getting to Montedoro, which is deep in the interior, is not easy. Our Sicily vacation was a terrific vacation thanks to good planning but by far the best decision we made was to hire an English speaking driver and car from Sicily Travelnet. Our driver, Sebastiano, picked us up from our hotel in a Mercedes sedan and was a delight. He wasn’t just a driver. He was our guide and translator as we drove through the countryside and met my distance relatives. Our trip to Montedoro was a deeply personal experience that would not have been possible without Sebastiano.

9 Thank Jennifer M
York, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Top quality experience”
Reviewed October 17, 2012

My wife and I booked a tailor-made trip with Sicily TravelNet. We wanted to combine the Agrigento Valley of the Temples and the Inspector Montalbano literary locations tours. We managed all the planning without difficulty by means of emails to Michele Gallo. So we had high expectations, but even these were exceeded. On the day, we had a long (over 2½ hours) but comfortable journey from our apartment in Taormina with an excellent driver, Sebastiano. Michele himself then joined us as our guide for the day. He is extremely knowledgeable, helpful and accommodating. If you are a fan of the Inspector Montalbano books and/or TV series, you will be fascinated by this glimpse into the author’s world. Among the location that we visited and explored were Agrigento (Montelusa in the books) and Port Empedocle (Vigata). Then we had an excellent fish lunch at the shore side restaurant that is the inspiration for “Enzo a Mare”, one of the Inspector’s favourite haunts. Finally, we had a spectacular guided walk along the Valley of the Temples. Michele delivered everything we asked for when planning the trip. All in all, it was a highlight of our holiday.

3 Thank Y0rker
Nashville, TN
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“Sicily Travelnet Private Tours - Five Star!!”
Reviewed September 28, 2012

Rather than use the cruise lines tours, I did some research and began making arrangements seven months prior to our September, 2012 cruise. There were 16 of us and as the 'tour director' of our group, I felt very responsible for the day' activities. There was never a need to have worried.
On the narrow winding roads up to Sevoca (a village not scheduled to visit but included) we felt completely safe with an excellent driver. Our guide, Alessia, gave us information, stories, and insights into life in Sicily from times past as well as today. While the day wasn't long enough to spend all the time we would have liked in Caselmola, and Taormina, it was planned in such a way to avoid most of the busloads of the cruise ships tours.
The vehicle used was safe, well maintained, and very clean.
Michelle was very quick to reply to my emails and requests for information while in the planning stages and followed through with everything promised. I would highly recommend this company to anyone needing tour services if you are ever fortunate enough to visit Sicily as they made our 'never to be forgotten day' just perfect.

3 Thank travelerted
Sugar Land, Texas
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“FANTASTIC, WONDERFUL, AMAZING TOUR - ABSOLUTELY THE BEST!”
Reviewed August 2, 2012

I booked a tour of Mt. Etna and Taormina through Michele Gallo at Sicily TravelNet for my family of 7. Michele was very easy to work with and very prompt on responding back with any questions I needed answered. Michele arranged for our tour guide, Chiara, to meet us at the Port of Messina. From the moment we met both Chiara and the driver, we knew it would be a fantastic day. Chiara was so knowledgeable, professional, spoke excellent English and had a wonderful personality; my whole family really enjoyed spending the day with her. The tour of Mt. Etna was amazing as was the tour of Taormina. She also had the driver take us to Naxos and other surrounding areas which were so beautiful. If we ever visit Sicily again, we would not hesitate for one moment to book our tour through Sicily TravelNet. Thank you for making our visit to Sicily a remembrance of a lifetime!!

Visited June 2012