“mixed feelings” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Expanificio

Expanificio
Ranked #16 of 238 Restaurants in Agrigento
Good for: Romantic, Families with children, Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Kids
Dining options: Brunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
“mixed feelings”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

some dishes were OK, some where definitely not OK.
I think they should study the recipe of "sole meunière". Their interpretation was doing no justice to the fresh sole they let swim in a drap mixture of an unspecified concotion.
The outside seating was our choice, the setting against a paintblistering windowblind was not adding to the overall look.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

• Greek first
Asuncion, Paraguay
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1,417 helpful votes
“Nothing memorable”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2013

We ended up here while looking for a decent restaurant in Agrigento, a hard task in itself. The service welcomed us appropriately but was definitely not on the quick side. We had two starters - one decent, one not very good but edible - and two main courses, one of which went back to were it came from: a grilled swordfish which was very thin, overcooked and dry.
Overpriced for what you get, I would suggest avoiding it altogether.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank apalmero
“Try this osteria!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

My husband and I visited Agrigento on a day away, leaving our small son with his grandmother for some precious alone time. My husband chose this restaurant based on the Trip Advisor reviews and he didn't dissappoint me!

The atmosphere is sophisticated and modern without being tacky or trendy or overdone, and I appreciated all the details in the place: the curved walls and archways, the mirror in the bathroom that was mounted on an old, re-finished door.

Our waitress was helpful and didn't mind explaining what the different dishes were. She was proud of her city and her region and its traditions, as are all Sicilians!!! When it comes to food at least, this is a good thing.

We enjoyed our food quite a lot. We had two antipasti. Mine was a whole, stuffed calamari on a bed of tomato sauce, very good, and my husband had an eggplant dish with a piece of smoked swordfish on top, equally good. Then we had two pasta dishes and I ordered a mixed salad. The salad, for something that can be an extremely poorly done dish in Sicily *once I ordered a salad and received something like 4 small pieces of browning iceberg lettuce on a small dessert plate* was AMAZING. I don't know if it was the combination of different lettuces, or the freshness of it and the great oil, but I haven't enjoyed a salad as much since!!! That said, I'm a recovering former vegetarian, and old habits die hard!

For dessert my husband had a very interesting pistacchio couscous, which I stole by the spoonful, and I had the local ice cream specialty which was cut into a piece. In reality the ice cream was kind of like a semi freddo. Both desserts were delicious. We were not rushed out of the place at the end of our meal, on the contrary, we were left quite alone really, which we like.

We both had a relaxing, tasty meal and I wouldn't hesitate to return should we ever find ourselves in Agrigento again. I believe the atmosphere would have been quite different had we found it crowded, as may often be the case in the evening, so we were lucky to have gone at the perfect time, for a beautiful lunch.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank mskrisinsicily
B'kara
“The only bad experience”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2013

Dining at the Expanificio Restaurant was only the bad experience we endured during our last stay in Sicily. Ordering spaghetti with sea shells, as never in any other restaurant before was served like coming from a frozen packet with only few vongole running loose. In the meantime we order a local Chardonay wine as suggested by the host to be the best on their list. To our surprise this wine was served warm and we had to ask for an ice bucket to cool it some. We also had to help ourselves to it as the normal procedure on serving wine did not follow. As my main coarse I went for a Tuna Steak which was served on a bed of couscous ( strange!!). It was so dry grilled and yet still red in the middle. Being not so happy about it the waiter took it back and promised that it will be changed, however only the lying couscous was and the same piece of tuna steak came back as some more grilled!!!!!!!!! So very much disappointed we asked for the bill and on presenting our visa card it was taken inside ( we were on a table outside), again cards should not leave their owners table and not being brought back in some 10 to 15 minutes , my husband had to go in and ask for it. He then came back with an "apperitive" offered to me over my disappoinment !!!!! I do not recommend at all this restaurant for so many mistakes over one order!!! What a pity!!!

• Visited May 2013
4 Thank Rita C
Denver, Colorado
“Great Local Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2013

Everything they serve at Expanificio is Sicilian - wine, meats, vegetables, etc. which is wonderful. We had a great meal. Also a good time browsing the fish market outside while you wait for dinner.

Visited May 2013