“Unforgettable walking tour of the Amalfi Coast”

Girosole Italy Walking Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: Discover Italy's enchanting countryside on foot. Guided and self-guided trips available.
Dallas, Texas
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Unforgettable walking tour of the Amalfi Coast”
Reviewed November 10, 2012

My wife and I wanted to do a self-directed walking tour to celebrate our 25th anniversary. We wanted to follow our own schedule. I found Girosole online, and began a dialog with Luciano. He helped us plan an itinerary.

FIRST great strength: FLEXIBILITY. We were trying to meet up with friends, and when we were planning our trip, Luciano worked hard to meet our schedule requirements. He is very patient.

Once in Italy we asked to add a day to go visit Pompeii and other ruins. They arranged for us to get an escort to the sites. When we wanted to spend an extra night in Positano (instead of taking a ferry back to Naples) the last night, they worked with us to change the transportation.

SECOND great strength: GIANNI. Gianni helps you on your trip itineraries and is a font of information.

Once we arrived on the ground, we met up with our guide, Gianni, who picked us up at our hotel and brought us to our starting point, Ravello.

Gianni helped us develop our daily walking plan for the trip. He provided extensives, printed plans with maps, pictures and text instruction. Every time I swore I was lost on some trail, a waymarker appeared that was outlined on our instructions. He was very flexible on setting it up.

If we needed advice for a place for dinner, his suggestions exactly fit our instructions. Since we were doing a lot of walking, we requested places to make us sandwiches in the morning so we could eat on the trail. He found several different places that provided delicious, rustic sandwiches at great prices.

A caution: "Walking" may be a misnomer. It is gorgeous country on the Amalfi coast, but it is not rolling hills. You should be reasonably fit, and prepared to do 5-10 miles of walking in a day. Climbing Mt. Molignano may not be for everybody.

THIRD great strength: Gianni will be there if/when you need him.

You get issued a phone, and we used it when we really needed something. Gianni was easy to reach. He could answer most any question. We did get lost at the end of one long trail, and he helped get us back on track.

When we REALLY needed help he wlas there for us. We messed up a hotel reservation we had made ourselves, he pitched in and helped us find a new place when the town was pretty full.

Lastly, Gianni wants you to have a great time, and he delivered when we needed it.

FOURTH great strength: unbelievably beautiful country.

Path ot the Gods, Positano, Capri, Pontone, Ravello (infinity view). You have spectacular scenery, all closely packed together.

Other thoughts:

--In Ravello, try staying in the Toro as opposed to the Della Marra. The Della Marra is wonderfully located off the square, but it's pretty rustic, the "breakfast" was minimal and they did not open for breakfast until late.

--Bring your hiking shoes.

Visited September 2012
5 Thank J P

12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Tuscany walking tour”
Reviewed October 24, 2012

I just did the 8 day walking tour of Tuscany. It was really great, and I'm thinking that I'll do the Umbria tour next year. The daily walks can be fairly long, 8.5 miles +/-, so, do get used to walking some distance before you try this. Also, there is a fair amount of up and down! Very enjoyable over all, the hotels were all better than expected, and I look forward to going back to them at a different time. Luggage transfer was seamless for me. Bring some foul weather gear if you do this in the fall! It does get muddy. I liked that I was on my own, but often there were other people doing the Girosole thing staying at the same hotels, so there was a sense of community too.

3 Thank Lachlan C
Petersburg, Alaska
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Self-guided walk through the Val d'Orcia”
Reviewed October 17, 2012

Inspired by an article in the August Budget Travel magazine, we contacted Luciano about organizing a walking tour through southern Tuscany. He had only about 3 weeks to set things up, yet he was able to get the hotels we requested and he accommodated our request to do a side trip to Rocca d'Orcia. Our guide Gabriele was knowledgable and very helpful. He cheerfully followed up on a lost luggage issue and helped us with the train schedule from Chiusi to Pisa. We liked every hotel we stayed at and were surprised by the quality and size of the breakfast buffets. The walking instructions were clear, concise and easy to follow. The walks, of course, were beautiful, although in Sept. most of the fields had been plowed under. We purchased picnic supplies each morning and dined in style under oak trees or next to vinyards. We were lucky to have sunny weather for the entire 8 days. We would recommend Girosole Italy Walking Tours without reservation!

Visited September 2012
Snohomish, Washington
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Fabulous Lazio Tour”
Reviewed October 8, 2012

I just returned from a long planned tour to the Val di Comino area of Lazio, Italy. I had great exeriences with the entire staff of Girosole. I contacted Luciano last December to start planning my trip and he was wonderfully flexible and informative as to my plans. Together we created a day to day itinerary that was exactly the way I wanted it. He kept in contact over all the months before I joined my tour in September. He even let me slpit my tour with a few days away on another adventure before returning to complete my tour with Girosole. In Italy, I had the pleasure of being in the company of super guides Michelangelo, Daniela and Alessandro. They were hard-working, knowlegeable, fun and flexible. I ended up spending time with family members of both Michelangelo and Daniela. All the guides were extremely generous with their time as many days we spent from morning until evening together and it always felt like I was with family or friends- they treated me so well. I enjoyed amazing hikes with Michelangelo right in the area where my family is orginally from and he went out of his way to make sure I had time to explore all the villages and talk to all the old-timers we could find with questions about my family. Dinner with his family that night was a lot of fun. Daniela was a superb guide at Montecassino and made that visit very meaningful for me. We spent time visiting her town of Arpino and then she asked if I would like to meet her daughter and mother instead of just ending my tour that day back alone in my hotel. I, of course, was extremely happy to be included like that and spent a sweet afternoon with her daughter and mother at their home! Allesandro brought me up into the Abruzzo National Park where he conducts research on the chamois in the park. He generously included a look at his research area and we were able to observe the chamois just as he does each day. He was a delightful companion hiking the mountain as he was informative and funny and I had a great time with him. All the guides took care of all the little details of picnic lunch, supplies, water, and driving me to and fro between Cassino and start of my Girosole Tour and getting me to the Rome airport at the end. I highly recommend them and hope to once again spend time with any of my guides in the future. Thank you Girosole for a trip of a lifetime for me--it was fabulous!

Visited October 2012
Glen Carbon, Illinois
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Walking Tour of Amalfi Coast”
Reviewed July 4, 2012

My daughter Elizabeth and I really enjoyed our tour and the experience of working with Luciano to arrange the details. All of our guides were exceptional people. Lisa had very in-depth knowledge about Paestum and Pompeii, and she really knew her way around the sites, even in the rain! Paulo was an amazing driver and took very good care of us and our luggage. He took time to tell us about Sorrento and his family when he was taking us from Naples to connect with Ulisse, our hiking guide. He also arranged for a taxi to take us to the train station when we left Naples for Siena.
Of course, we spent the most time with Ulisse and really appreciated his knowledge, his steady pace during the hiking, and his willingness to answer our questions and share about his life. We felt his connections with the local people really helped us have an experience beyond that of regular "tourists." We were able to join with his friend Maritso whom we met on the trail and stop with Maritso's group of German hikers to see his family's garden where his parents were working for the day. They made us coffee and lemonade and showed us the garden. It was a lovely experience!
Our lunch on the trail that day at Trattoria La Tagliata was exceptional and allowed us to taste authentic Italian specialties. The family restaurant where we had Easter dinner was also exceptional; I believe it was in Pontosia, but I might have the wrong spelling! We were on the way to Ravello that day. Back in Positano we enjoyed the food and the people at both The Saracen and El Mediterraneo which Ulisse recommended.
Our accomodations at Casa Theresa were charming and quite adequate for our needs. Theresa and Anna made us lovely breakfasts, and Ferdinando brought us hot coffee when we came in wet and cold from hiking.
Hotel Rex in Naples was also quite adequate, and we loved the waterfront location. We liked eating at Borgo Antiqua near the hotel.
Aldo was our guide for Naples, and he too was very personable and knowledgeable about the city. We particularly enjoyed the underground areas where we could see the layers on which the city is built.
We enjoyed the whole walking tour and would definitely use Girosole again if we return to Italy and recommend the company to our friends. I honestly can't think of anything I would change about the tour! I hope to return to Italy someday and take another tour with Girosole!
Susan