“Not one to complain”

Rashleigh Arms
Ranked #9 of 14 Restaurants in Charlestown
Cuisines: British, Gastropub
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The Pub has moved with times and although over 150 years old boasts eight four star gold rated rooms, a public bar, popular with the locals that shows all live sport and has great bands every fortnight. Our lounge bar is fantastic for relaxing in with large leather sofas and armchairs with a touch of historic Charlestown. The restaurant is modern, open plan and serves locally sourced food. And if the weather's good our patio and garden is the ideal place to spend a few hours or more!
Reviewed January 2, 2014 via mobile

Before I begin I must state I am not the type of person to complain and as such had I have done I may not of had to pay for such a 'meal'.

My partner and I visited for a 3 course NYE meal... And I must say I don't think I've had a worse meal (and we eat out a lot).

We had the bruschetta to start (rock hard French stick covered in cold/raw tomato and mozzarella). For our main we had ordered a fillet steak but what we received was definitely not that cut; the quality of the meat was very poor. To 'compliment' the steak we had ordered the dauphinois potatoes and once again they were just a mound of cheese with raw potatoes. By this point I was more than put off and was ready to leave but as it was a 3 course we still had the pudding to come... I had ordered the limoncello tart well I think the rest of the review says it all. Needless to say I ended up eating about 3 mouthfuls of the entire meal.

Front of house could visibly see that I had eaten virtually nothing all evening and has a 'gesture of good will' she took 10% off our food... If we had have been sold a standard type menu then I think the review would be much more fair, but to be sold an al a carte menu and served anything but is just unfair... Needless to mention the price!

We stayed at Boscundle Manor and went to this pub on the weight of trip advisor reviews however it backfired.

StAustellManagement, General Manager at Rashleigh Arms, responded to this reviewResponded January 20, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your comments regarding your visit on new years eve to the Rashleigh Arms. I am disappointed that you didn't easy your meal, your was the only complaint we received on the evening but i am glad we offered you a discount to appease you, we look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed January 1, 2014

Had a lovely meal here New years eve, only gripe was we only had one dish of vegetables between 4 of us, didn't realise until the next table had two dishes for four of them, by then we had ate our meal which was delicious. The starters first class, steak divine,and the chocolate brownie, well I ate my pudding and half my husbands, brownie was delicious. We found the staff very friendly. We were very full at the end of the meal, so perhaps one side dish of veg was enough. We headed down to the pierhouse as there was more atmosphere for us oldies down there but came back again for the fireworks. Will come again

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your comments regarding your visit on new years eve to the Rashleigh Arms. The team and I work extremely hard to ensure that all our guests receive first class service at all times, so it is always nice to have great feedback on our pub. I will pass on your comments to our team, and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed December 29, 2013

Food good service could be bit better bar in the restaurnant side a bit slow. The restaurant area was very busy .

StAustellManagement, General Manager at Rashleigh Arms, responded to this reviewResponded December 30, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your comments regarding your visit to the Rashleigh Arms. The team and I work extremely hard to ensure that all our guests receive great customer service and Christmas has been busy this year, we are glad you enjoyed the carvery and hope to see you again in the new year.

Reviewed December 28, 2013

This was our first visit to the Rashleigh, but certainly not our first to Charlestown, and every time we've passed in summer it seems to be plenty busy enough so we thought it was an ideal place to try at this quieter time.

It has a good range of seating options and being late afternoon we were able to choose our own table in the restaurant area which is very pleasant.
I chose the pea and ham soup, which was outstanding plus a huge bowl that would have served two easily! So far so good and high expectations of the Burger which was pricey enough at £10.50, but not unreasonable.
My wife had ordered a BLT sandwich and was looking forward to 'cheesy' chips alongside this.

When the food arrived, I've got to say I was completely underwhelmed by the portion sizes, positively tiny on the burger with two onion rings alongside and probably pushed to be a dozen chips in total.
My wife was served plain chips, and pointed out that she had actually asked for 'cheesy' chips, I nearly fell off my chair when the waitress simply said "No you didn't!".
Despite my wife protesting, no offer to check the order, replace the item, or do anything to resolve the situation? She simply walked off, having finished the conversation with "I would have remembered if you did?"!
I was simply stunned and in typical British fashion we just got on with our meals.

Despite my initial doubting of the portion sizes, everything was absolutely delicious and clearly quality, echoed by my wife who enjoyed her meal too.

At this price point there is now strong competition in Charlestown, and staff must be aware the impact they can have on a customers experience. Was it the end of the world if there had been a slight mix up on some cheesy chips to at least have tried to sort something?

However on balance we would eat here again, great bear, the food is very high quality if the price/portion balance could be improved and it's a nice place.

Many thanks for taking the time to give us such constructive feedback, I have investigated why this could have happened and spoken to the team member in question who didnt realise that the way she communicated to you was unacceptable, rest assured that next time you visit you will receive warm and friendly service that will match your food experiance.

Reviewed December 27, 2013 via mobile

We gad a very nice lunch at boxing day. Great selection of beers and food. Free wifi. I especially liked the fact that they allow the dogs. I would return anytime.

Many thanks for your great review, The Rashleigh team works hard to ensure all our guests are looked after even our 4 legged friends in the public bar, I will pass on your feedback to the team and we look forward to seeing you again in the future.