“Constructive criticism”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Nicholls
Gold Creek Tourist Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Nicholls
Melbourne, Australia
“Constructive criticism”
Reviewed May 30, 2012

I have stayed at numerous establishments throughout Canberra at written a few reviews. My intention on writing this review is to notify the business owners of some constructive criticism.

I am not here to write slanderous, obviously fake and ludicrous claims, about Gold Creek, just disappointed that TripAdvisor could not monitor some of the rubbish that is written on here. I thought the idea of this was to review a business legitimately!!!!!!

I have had several business trips to Gold Creek and always have chosen the Tourist Resort as the place to stay, mainly due to value for money. They are the one business in canberra that sticks to the "simple Things". Good food, great service and good accomodation.

Rooms are what you would expect for the price unless you are lucky enough to stay in one of the spa rooms. Their rooms have recently all had refurbs with new additions to every room.

I would definately recommend Gold Creek, just off the main highway, as a place to stay. Well done and keep up the good work guys.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Steven L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
WA
Reviewed May 28, 2012

Have stayed here on numerous occasions and it really is great value for money, the food is great never had a bad meal here, rooms are yes older style but clean,confortable and cosy, if ive ever had a problem had notified reception and housekeeping have always been prompt in fixing anything and always very friendly. Would recommend a stay here and wouldnt listen to silly comments from 11-13 year old kids.

Room Tip: Pool room are lovely or a spa room
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
4 Thank humptyWa
GCTRCanberra, Owner at Gold Creek Tourist Resort, responded to this review, May 29, 2012
Thank you for your review, we always like to get feed back whether it is positive or negative, as you can see recently the reviews from the children have been horrendous, the Motel is 14 years old and we try to keep up with the painting off the rooms
Thank You once again and we will look forward to your next return.
Cooma
Reviewed May 24, 2012

I have stayed a this hotel a few times when I travel to Canberra from Cooma. I wouldn't normally write a review, but after reading some of the negative reviews (which appear to be from school children) I felt the need to comment on my experiences at this hotel to try and even it out. Whilst they don't pretend to be the hilton, they are a 'no frills' hotel and don't pretend to be anything different. For the price I have found the accommodation to be good value for money. I am pretty particular when it comes to room cleanliness and it was all satisfactory. They don't have wifi but after mentioning it to management on my last stay, they seemed interested and would look into it! (thumbs up!!!). Bar prices are ok and food from the restaurant is really good (which is separate from where the school groups eat). Value for money - this place ticks all the boxes, def my preferred choice when staying in the north of Canberra.

Room Tip: When I ring up to book I ask for one of the rooms that don't usually get occupied by school grou...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank DJC228
Thank you DJC for your comments about our accommodation and restaurant, your comments are highly appreciated, as most of the past and present posted comments are from school children, just because they are school children, I believe that they can have a say and voice their opinion, unfortunately I do not believe or I should say a lot of what they are saying is total rubbish not from under the beds but from their mouth, I am certainly not saying that there may of been a wrapped found in the room but not poo or growths on the toilet. I will look into the wifi, we did have one in the reception area, it was taken off due to poor reception as many guests struggle to even get reception on their mobile phones. Thank you once again and we will look forward to your return.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed March 28, 2012

I am a school student. Our school recently went there a two night trip. The room was covered in filth, the toilet stank and the shower was filled with mould. There was a TV, air con and fridge. but the air con and fridge were broken, and the TV had bad reception. There were also bugs in the building. The food was OK. However, overall it was DREADFUL! I don't reccomend u coming here.

Room Tip: Don't go here!!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
13 Thank Wayne W
GCTRCanberra, Owner at Gold Creek Tourist Resort, responded to this review, May 19, 2012
Thank you for your comments on your recent accommodation, all comments are important to us,
It is disappointing to hear that your stay with us was so terrible.

Travelers are raving about these Nicholls hotels

london
Reviewed March 26, 2012

I am a school student and I stayed there last week. My biggest complaint is that the cleanliness is absolutely dreadful. I went in with low expectations and was astounded to having to lower them even more, on arrival to the resort. We had a large room, unarguably, and it was set out pretty well for a school group with a fridge, double bed, couch, card table and TV. However, when we took our turns in the shower we noticed something absolutely foul. The bathmat actually had poop on it. It wasn't just a poorly washed towel, someone had recently pooped on the towel possibly a day or so before our stay. There was also a few spiders around and we had an arachaphobic person in our group so that wasn't spectacular. There was a few wrappers under the couch and that was more or less all the filth in our room. The food was pretty good, and was easily adjustable to suit my needs with the adequate amount of salt. I would comment though on the salad served. Perhaps making it more appealing to us children? And possibly not deep frying the hash browns as much. Overall, the resorts lack of cleanliness did not detract to my experience it in fact provided quite a few interesting stories to tell. But please keep up the cleanliness.

• Stayed March 2012
9 Thank tarkatheotter
I have looked into your complaint, and unfortunately during your 2 night stay nobody was notified off any poop on the bathmat, It is disappointing that you didn't mention it to your teacher in charge or coach driver, as they would of reported it to reception immediately for it to be rectified.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed March 23, 2012

my grade stayed here on an excursion to Canberra. my room wasn't too clean. there was rubbish under the beds, the fridge was dirty and didn't work, the room didn't seem to be that clean, and the hairdryer wasn't there when it was meant to be. the food was ok. the fruit salad i had was warm, the toast in the morning was extremely dry. the showers were good, the toilets.... okay.. the one i was in had a lot of moths and insects. i didn't really enjoy the stay. i would've rather stayed somewhere else.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
7 Thank luma c
Melbourne
Reviewed February 29, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for two nights to attend a wedding. The motel is well located and easy to find and the staff friendly and helpful. The rooms are of a good size, ours slept five and was a lot bigger than many we've crammed into with the kids! The bathroom is a very efficient design as the basin, toilet and shower are all separate so can be used by different people at the same time. Great for families wanting to get out in a hurry!

Unfortunately the place has been 'let go' quite a bit, it is very 'tired'. There appears to be no attention to detail when it comes to maintenance. The standard of cleaning was so-so. Not gross but not great either. We asked for an ironing board as we wanted to iron our clothes for the wedding. The ironing board cover was quite stained and we had to cover it before we ironed our clothes.

Room Tip: Not for a romantic weekend away but with better cleanliness and maintenance could be a fantastic pla...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Duracells
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nicholls
Leumeah Lodge
Premier Hotel & Apartment
#27 of 57 in Canberra
Belconnen Hotel/Motel and Serviced Apartments
Capital Executive Apartment Hotel Canberra

Been to Gold Creek Tourist Resort? Share your experiences!