“Great hotel but miles away”

Sun Gardens Dubrovnik
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Orasac
Reviewed December 13, 2013 via mobile

Hotel is stunning and very luxurious, certainly worth its 5 * rating, fantastic location and great facilities but it is 10 miles from dubrovnik at least and there is nothing else remotely close by.

Stunning views esp in morning when the mist cimes off the sea, but don't expect to be wandering into town

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank jimbo657
RadBluDub, General Manager at Sun Gardens Dubrovnik, responded to this reviewResponded December 18, 2013

It was a pleasure to have you visit us, and thank you for your excellent feedback.

I was happy to read your thoughts that the hotel was stunning, very luxurious & certainly worth its 5 * rating.

I will pass on your positive feedback to the team.

Reviewed December 2, 2013

Don't know if the previous Radisson in Split had called to tip them off or what, but the staff here were absolutely outstanding...I had booked this hotel back in Aug. thinking it would be a relaxing way to end our 3 week Croatian/Slovenia/Italy adventure. They also upgraded us to a very large Jr. suite, an enormous balcony w/ a beautiful view of the Adriatic ( I think all rooms face the sea), Mia (?) and her colleagues were just terrific, helping w/ directions up to Mostar in Bosnia, to arranging any and all shuttle rides into old town Dubrovnik, likewise our early morning departure to the airport the day we left. We did try dining @ jinga (excellent grilled lamb) and the breakfast buffet is enormous. I know we were traveling off-season, but I think Radisson Blu does this for everyone, I've stayed at a few Radissons here in the states and have never been disappointed. (also loved the pool/spa hot tub) If you don't mind being a few miles from the center of Dubrovnik, this property is perfect! My hats off to everyone, thank you for a wonderful 4 days.

Room Tip: go off season!
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
RadBluDub, General Manager at Sun Gardens Dubrovnik, responded to this reviewResponded December 17, 2013

It was a pleasure to have you stay with us, and thank you for your excellent feedback.

I was happy to read that you enjoyed your stay and that your experience was excellent; I had noted your comment that the service was impeccable with your experience with Mia & the front office team.

I will pass on your feedback to the team.

I do hope to welcome you back one day soon for another short break.

Reviewed November 25, 2013

LOCATION & OVERVIEW OF HOTEL:
4 ½ /5: This depends on what your priorities are for your holiday… if you would rather immerse yourself in the city of Dubrovnik, this is too far out and wouldn’t be for you!
However, we loved it because it had the best of both worlds – a very good quality hotel, where we could choose to relax by the pool some days, or alternatively take the shuttle into the city and spend some time in Dubrovnik.
The hotel is located about 10 miles north of Dubrovnik. There are ample and regular shuttles (small fee), both by boat and mini bus, through the day and into the eve too. We only used the bus, but that worked fine. Picked up at the hotel door, 20 min journey, and dropped right next to the city walls – perfect. We tended to book the night before, and there was never any problem with availability.
The resort is like a small village with around 200 hotel rooms and 200 apartments too. It has beautifully laid out grounds, stunning views, and great options for sun-bathing (3 pools, a pebble beach & also specially built “platforms” next to the sea).
The hotel was built in 2009 and is in beautiful condition, inside and out.
It is about a 40-minute trip from the airport - I Emailed the hotel a couple of weeks before our arrival and they organised a hotel transfer for us. (I forget the cost exactly – I think around £40).
The only thing about location of the hotel (and this is just our preference) is that when we’re away, we like to be able to walk into a nearby town / resort for a drink / lunch / wander around. You can walk into the little village of Orasac (and we did), but it really is a 1-horse town (no offence meant – it is a nice [uphill!] walk, with great views, but there is one shop, and not much else!) If you’re like us and like to stretch your legs now and again, you can access it by walking up the hotel drive, and you’ll see the signed path before you reach the main road.

FACILITIES:
5/5: Extensive and very nice! Three outdoor swimming pool areas (one adults only) with plenty of sun-beds and complimentary beach towels, spa, huge sports centre, water-sports, kids’ club, nice lounge areas, free wi-fi across the resort, etc.

SPA:
4 ½ /5: I Emailed the Spa a couple of weeks before we went out, and booked a massage for my husband and myself without problem. Beautiful facility, friendly staff, and they can definitely give any knots in your back a good work-over!!

SERVICE:
4 ½ /5: Reception, housekeeping, pool, bar and restaurant staff were almost all welcoming, cheerful, pleasant and helpful.

ROOMS:
4 ½ /5: We had a deluxe room with sea view on the 2nd floor, and a really good-size balcony – nice to relax in the late afternoon.
Our room was decorated in refreshing contemporary colours, very clean, with AC, mini bar, TV, well equipped bathroom with complimentary toiletries, modern fittings and shower over the bath.
No traffic noise to prevent you from getting to sleep in this hotel, unlike some in the city, I would imagine!
(By the way, I have a dislike of those mini-bars where you can’t store your own drinks etc in them – no such worries here… you can easily pick up some cans / bottles from the on-site supermarket [though they aren’t cheap!] and store them in the fridge to avoid paying mini-bar prices!)

BREAKFAST RESTAURANT:
4 ½ /5: Breakfast is buffet style - a lovely choice of juices, fresh fruit, cereals, breads, pastries, croissants, cheese, cold meats, fresh pancakes etc.
There were also hot servers with the usual cooked breakfast items, and a chef who would make an omelette etc to your taste. (Tip for the Radisson - you would benefit from extending this area – it’s popular, and a queue often builds up).
On the last day of our holiday, we paid a little extra (buffet breakfast was included in our rate) and tried the roof-top breakfast. Food and service very good, and the views were stunning.

EVENING MEAL RESTAURANTS:
There are a number of restaurants in the resort, and I think there is something for everybody.
We used the buffet restaurant (Origano) on a couple of occasions, it was OK, but it was more for convenience because I had a head-cold – the buffet meant that my husband and I could eat as much or as little as we liked, which suited me as I didn’t have my usual appetite.
Our “default” restaurant became “La Pasta” – pizza and pasta options all good, and the service friendly & welcoming.
Tried “Tartufo” one night – food there is a notch up, and the service excellent too. Pricey, but definitely worth a visit.
“The Butcher’s Grill” was excellent too – steaks are pricey, but they are substantial and good quality.
Didn’t actually try “Cilantro” (seafood) or “The Market” (Croatian), but both seemed busy.

OUT AND ABOUT:
We walked the city walls in Dubrovnik, which was great and gave hundreds of opportunities for photographs!
Also took the cable car up the hill overlooking Dubrovnik where we again enjoyed the views.
Just wandering through the myriad of lanes in the city was a really nice way to pass a few hours too!
(Be warned though, I don’t think this is a cheap city to visit - perhaps the constant flow of cruise-ship visitors has resulted in the prices being hiked up accordingly!)

SUMMARY:
This was our first trip to Croatia, but I feel it’s like the best bits of Greece and Italy combined. The sunshine and coastline of Greece, with the beauty of Italy.

I did that thing you probably shouldn’t do before you go on holiday… we had booked the hotel a few months in advance, and then just before going, I couldn’t stop myself from checking the up-to-date TA reviews!! There were a few “ropey” ones, so the doubts started to creep in!!
I needn’t have worried in the least! This is a really lovely hotel for some R&R, combined with sightseeing in the city! Excellent choice.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank AvidHolidaymaker

It was a pleasure to have you visit us, and thank you for your excellent detail feedback.

I was happy to read that you enjoyed your visit to the resort. I am especially proud that you found the team to be friendly and helpful in all areas and found all facilities & service to a five star level.

Reviewed November 25, 2013

This hotel is amazing. The staff are always friendly and willing to help.
It has a choice of restaurants & bars (they are expensive but that is expected being in a 5* hotel), pools, a gym, spa, badminton courts, table tennis, outdoor tennis courts and I'm sure other things which we didn't get around to doing.
Everything is clean and well maintained. Breakfast was vast and always excellent.
It is about 30-45 minute drive from the old town. You can book a mini bus from the hotel or try the water taxi.
There is a reasonably sized supermarket on the complex which is great for picking up a few essentials.
We went in May and not all the restaurants and pools were open, but it was lovely and quiet so we didn't mind at all.
We had an absolutely wonderful stay in our 2 bedroom villa, which was cleaned every day. We upgraded to a sea view and it was well worth it!

Room Tip: Upgrade to a sea view if you can!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
RadBluDub, General Manager at Sun Gardens Dubrovnik, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2013

It was a pleasure to have you visit us, and thank you for your feedback.

I was happy to read that you enjoyed your visit to the resort. I am especially proud that you found the team to be friendly and helpful. I had noted that you breakfast experience was excellent.

Reviewed November 24, 2013

We visited last week, 2/3 of the way through November, so out of season - but wow! Thank you so much, we were treated like royalty!!!! We stayed in a delux room which was so cool - beautiful views of the sea, salmon and cured meats served at 1am upon arrival (our plane was horrendously delayed) and a kinky little window between the bath and bed - so cool! Especially liked the little touches in the room - the tv volume knob in the bathroom (!!!!! :D), the eco-friendly aircon system, and little surprises in every drawer. They have the fastest elevators we have ever been in, haha!! We had a very tasty meal in the Oregano restaurant and breakfast was varied and cooked perfectly. The staff were totally without fault - a superb level of English spoken by all, incredibly attentive and helpful, and very very welcoming. This hotel is modern and beautiful and we would definitely recommend it to everyone - thank you so much for a fantastic stay!!!!

Room Tip: We stayed at the back, on the 5th floor - beautiful views of sea and resort. If you want to go beyon...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
RadBluDub, General Manager at Sun Gardens Dubrovnik, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2013

It was a pleasure to have you visit us, and thank you for your WOW feedback.

I was happy to read that you enjoyed your visit to the resort. I am especially proud that you found the team to be well trained and attentive with the whole experience flawless as you pointed out.

Reviewed November 19, 2013

I've now been to the Radissons in Malta and this one outside of Dubrovnik is by far the best with the most impressive facilities as well as amenities. We were dropped off by our bus enroute from the Split/Mostar road before reaching Dubrovnik, very handy to ask for the dropoff if you come from the north. We enjoyed a "clean up" night the very last night of our 5 week Balkan adventure/backpacking trip. The upgrade to a suite was amazing and unexpected.

The pools are great (with 3 of them!) and the spa section was a little piece of heaven for us when a thunderstorm raged the sea on our 2nd day.

Minor note 1: I forgot my shirt in the wardrobe and it mysteriously vanished within hours but I was compensated for it (through Club Carlson points).
Minor note 2: the hotel has outsourced its shuttle service and those ladies seemed more stressed and less friendly than the hotel staff

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
RadBluDub, General Manager at Sun Gardens Dubrovnik, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2013

I was happy to read that you enjoyed your visit in our award winning Spa. I have meet with the Manager of the shuttle service in regards to your feedback.

Reviewed November 14, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is perfect for business and pleasure with a fantastic location at the sea, many pools and sport facilities and very very good meeting facilities. The staff is really well trained and attentive so a stay there for meetings is a real pleasure. The rooms are of a high class and the breakfast and lunches too.
Can be recommended 100%

Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
RadBluDub, General Manager at Sun Gardens Dubrovnik, responded to this reviewResponded November 16, 2013

I was happy to read that you enjoyed your stay 100% as outlined in your review; I had noted your comment that all staff are well trained and attentive.

We do have one of the best meeting venues in Dubrovnik and Croatia, the resort has held large group of over 1,000 for car launches, fashion show and small meeting for 20 persons.

mario.stanic@radissonblu.com

Also consider these accommodations in or near Orasac
Hotel Dubrovnik Palace
#13 of 68 in Dubrovnik
Hotel Bellevue Dubrovnik
Hotel Bellevue Dubrovnik
#3 of 68 in Dubrovnik

Been to Sun Gardens Dubrovnik? Share your experiences!