“Fabulous ...but it should be at that cost...”

Sun Gardens Dubrovnik
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Orasac
UK
“Fabulous ...but it should be at that cost...”
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Don't get me wrong ...if someone offered me another week at this hotel next week I would bite their hand off ...and then ask for their credit card to pick up the tab!

We (mum, dad and three kids aged 9, 11 and 13) stayed here in August 2013 for 6 nights after a week's sailing from Split. We arrived by hire car from Split (3.5 hours drive) and were greeted professionally and taken to our apartment by golf buggy. Our bags were brought in and then ....they hung around almost to the point of embarrassment until they got their tip. That sets the tone. It's a bit like the feeling of being in Disney ...you've paid a great deal of money to be there and not they are going to take even more money off whenever possible.

The resort consists of a large hotel brought by Radisson Blu and a set of appartments arranged in 4 blocks arranged along the hillside, all around a gently curving bay with beach and marina, pools (3) and eateries (lost count at 8) above, apartments, hotel and finally a sports centre up beside the main road.

We had booked a 2 bed apartment with eldest child accommodated on sofa bed. The apartment had an enormous private terrace, two bathrooms, kitchen area, dining area and more. It was fabulous, comfortable, air conditioned and with views to die for. In my opinion the best spot in the resort (apartment 2211).

Food, drink and any extras are ludicrously expensive as other reviewers have highlighted. A round of drinks at the poolside set us back almost £20 and unless you are comfortable with that level of expenditure (and if you are that's great too) you will feel, as we did, that you always have to be careful and ask before you sit down or draw up a bar stool.

Faultlessly clean, courteous staff, not over crowded, great facilities and quirky spa. Other reviewers have put described the plus sides of this resort well and I don't think I would disagree with any of them. But good value ....hmmm that's a difficult one and this reviewer would say not.

Oh, and many of the hotel guests had booked through booking dot com which would imply they have some good offers perhaps?

Room Tip: Apartment 2211 is fabulous. Apartments in blocks 2,4,6 and 8 are 'front row' and have better...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Mark&Kit
RadBluDub, General Manager at Sun Gardens Dubrovnik, responded to this review, August 24, 2013
It was a pleasure to have you stay with us, and thank you for your excellent feedback.

I was happy to read that you enjoyed the overall resort .I had noted your wonderfull comments on cleanliness of the resort and courteous team members with our award winning Spa. I would like to apologies for your negative experience with your bell boy, I have meet with the front office & and training to provided more guest contact skills training for the team.

mario.stanic@radissonblu.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (426)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 19, 2013

We stayed here for a week in June and really enjoyed it.

The room was cleaned every day, there were three pools to choose from including one for adults only which is great. The sports centre is well equipped and there are two small gyms to choose from, plenty of activities on offer if you want to take part.

Beautiful views, friendly service, lovely swimming pools and stunning views. We can't wait to come back!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jessica M
RadBluDub, General Manager at Sun Gardens Dubrovnik, responded to this review, August 23, 2013

I was happy to read that you enjoyed the resort and the friendly service from the team. I did take note that you comments on our wonderful adults pool and sports areas.

I believe that we have one of the best facilities in Croatia, with 4 pools, 2 gyms, Spa, half size Basketball court, Climbing wall & Tennis & Squash courts to name a few.

Reviewed August 19, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for a week in August. The hotel is in a beautiful location with spectacular views. The beach is nice, with clear water and a pebble beach. Which can be a bit uncomfortable. The rooms were very big and modern and thoroughly cleaned everyday, with complimentary water left everyday.

There is a choice of 3 pools and we were able to get a lounger everyday, the staff at the poolbars were also very friendly. Buffet breakfast was also enjoyable, with lots of options.

I found this resort to be very expensive for food and drink and it was cheaper to dine out when in Dubrovnik old town. There is a shuttle service available from the hotel to the old town which is roughly £17 return for two people and the last bus home is 11pm, which was good for us.

There are a lot of steps if you are staying in one of the residences or want to go to the onsite supermarket.

We really enjoyed staying here, even though it was expensive and a little quiet for our liking. The views of the sunset were out of this world. I would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: All rooms have a seaview, if you can get a room on the 4th floor or above, the view is slightly bett...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Butlercs
RadBluDub, General Manager at Sun Gardens Dubrovnik, responded to this review, August 22, 2013

I was happy to read that you enjoyed the overall resort and that all staff provided you a wonderfull experience. I had noted your wonderfull comments on your room and pool areas. I will pass on your comments to the team

Oslo
Reviewed August 16, 2013

We stayed 4 days at the Radisson Dubrovnik hotel. The hotel did not meet our expectations. The hotel has nice premises and well-appointed rooms, but lacks the standard and service of a 5 star hotel. We stayed in a 1 room villa.

Our dissatisfaction started already at the check in. We had booked a room with sea view at the price of 336 per night (60 Euros more per day per room for sea view). Upon arrival we were taken to a room without sea view. The bell guy said that this was definitely not sea view so we had to go back to the reception. At the reception we meet a receptionist (I believe here name was Anna). She definitely did not have the “yes we can” spirit that we are used to having travelled throughout the world and stayed at Radisson Blu hotels. She asked the bell guy to show us a new room (and said it was the last one she had). The room they then showed us had a worse view than the first room (this the bellman also agreed to). We went back to the reception again with our girls 6 and 8 years old and said we wanted a room with a view or pay the price of 280 Euros. She said: “No that is not possible. It is high season and this is what we have available”. We then asked to talk to the manager. There is no way I’ll pay for a room with a view without a view (60 Euros). We waited and spent approximately 1 hour back and forth on this issue and was finally shown a room with a view. The problem was solved, but if I was the manager of a 5 star hotel and people waste 1 hour of their vacation on a problem that was the hotel’s fault I would have sent a “we are sorry note to the room” with a bottle of wine or something?

Housekeeping – For the first day we received enough towels for the last two days we received one towel less than we were.. Also tables, etc was not cleaned properly.

Kids club – Our daughters have been to kids clubs all over the world. This one is one of the the worst one we have experienced. The crew did not greet us nor the children upon arrival none of the two days we were there. They didn´t ask for our kids name, sicknesses, etc. We felt almost unwelcome and so did our kids.

Spa - like our experience with the kids club.. We had the same experience in the SPA. It seems that nobody cares that you are their guests. There were many people working there (for us it felt like too many employees - they would rather chat than handle their customers) and we had never stayed at this hotel before. A hello and do you want a tour/some information would be appreciated (like they do in Radisson Split) It is not the welcome and treatment that one expects in a 5 star hotel.

Food – We ate at two restaurants at the hotel. The pizza restaurant was good, but the all you can eat lunch buffet was below average. My lamb kebab had been on the grill too long (probably hours). It was hard and tasted dry and burned. I ordered one mojito and a glass of water. The mojito came without mint leaves and I asked them to replace it which they did. However, the glass of water we asked for three times without me ever receiving it.

The travel agency at the hotel was very good. We went with them to Montenegro and also used them for boat trips.

I will not stay in this hotel again although the premises are really nice. The service level is below average. I think the management needs to do a field trip to see how other 5 stars hotels are runned in other places in Europe.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank solita14
RadBluDub, General Manager at Sun Gardens Dubrovnik, responded to this review, August 17, 2013
It was a pleasure to have you stay with us, and thank you for your feedback.

As you may be aware the complex of the apartment at Dubrovnik Sun Gardens are build on a hill side with some apartment with a north facing aspect and other with a south facing aspect. All building are surrounded by a wonderfull selection of gardens with low and high tress. As you noted in your review we do have both seaview and garden view apartment all seaview have various aspect of ocean view depending on location whether facing north or south, whether they have large tree or small tress? Whether some have a small garden in front and some have no garden at all?

I do apologies that you did not like the view from your check in apartment, I was happy that my team had move you to another apartment within 1 hour of your check in. I am sorry that you did not get to chance to experience any Spa treatment during your stay at our award winning Spa by Occo, I am happy to say that normally we do have receive great reviews on the Spa team. I have meet with the Spa manager to ensure that such issues do not reoccur.

In regards to our House keeping team, I would like to apologies for the lack of attention for the lack of towels on your second day I have meet with the Manager to ensure this kind of issues does not reoccur.

Curitiba, PR
Reviewed August 14, 2013

It is a huge resort, with many swimmingpools, restaurants (make sure to reserve your selected restaurant before going, they are pretty busy in the summer), private beach. The rooms are big, new, and have an awesome view. Breakfast is very good.
I came with a friend, but almost all guests are couples with kids.
We enjoyed such a nice and quiet place to relax after coming from more crowded spots like Hvar and Montenegro.
The distance to Dubrovnik Old Town is not a big deal. 15 min ride and you are there.
We did have problems with a mouse in our room, but the manager was kind and gave us one free night and complimentary dinner. So we were happy afterall.

Room Tip: ask for the higher floors, the view is beautiful.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
RadBluDub, General Manager at Sun Gardens Dubrovnik, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
It was a pleasure to have you stay with us, and thank you for your feedback.

I had noted that overall your enjoyed your stay with us, I am happy to read that you like the great selection of pools & Restaurants with our vast facilities.

As you may be aware the complex of Dubrovnik Sun Gardens is set on 20 A of land and build on a hill side facing the ocean. All building are surrounded by a wonderfull selection of gardens with low and high tress. I would like to apologies for the inconvenience in your room, we do have a yearly contract with a pest control company to treat all areas of the Hotel, Apartments and our vast grounds.

Stranorlar, Donegal, Ireland
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Stayed here in May 2013 as a young couple (22 and 24 years old). The hotel is impeccable. From the minute you arrive in reception you are greeted with a smile. I have never been made feel more welcome in a hotel. We ate in both the Tartufo and Cilantro Restaurants. Staff were very attentive and helpful in choosing both our food dishes and wine. Huge hats off to the chefs in both restaurants. Exceptional cooking and you can tell it is fresh seafood you're getting. We also visited the spa and got a couple massage. As it being my first time to visit a spa I cannot compare it to other venues. However, I never felt more relaxed in my life. We stayed for five days and came across many different staff members, everyone from the receptionists, to the bar staff, leisure staff, cleaning staff and maintenance staff couldn't help you more.

Rooms were large, comfortable and have everything you could need. The ensuite in our room had a glass wall and had views out through the balcony to the sea. Which is pretty distracting when trying to wash your hair :P

We would just like to say a huge thanks to the staff for showing us such great hospitality. (We both work in hotels in Ireland and know the pressures of the job and really appreciate the standard of this fabulous hotel)

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank DonnaMarie1990
RadBluDub, General Manager at Sun Gardens Dubrovnik, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
It was a pleasure to have you stay with us, and thank you for your excellent feedback that the hotel was impeccable !

I was happy to read that you enjoyed the overall resort and that all staff provided you a wonderfull experience. I had noted your wonderfull comments on Ciltrano and Tartufo and the excellent quality of your meals.I will pass on your comments to the team

Warsaw, Poland
Reviewed August 12, 2013

One of the best hotels for the holidays. Definitely stands out among all the other hotels in Croatia. Large room with a fabulous sea view, clean and very nicely decorated. Delicious breakfasts with rich buffet. Very good infrastructure - outdoor swimming pools with beautiful sea views, an indoor pool, sauna, spa, tennis courts, playgrounds, a very well-maintained beach, shops, alleys for walking or skating. Kids club running all day. We spent a week there and we were able to take advantage of all the attractions. Large selection of restaurants with a fairly high prices but being in Dubrovnik I paid as much as the quality of the food was much worse.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
It was a pleasure to have you stay with us, and thank you for your excellent feedback of the “Best Hotel in Croatia"

I was happy to read that you enjoyed the overall resort. I had noted your wonderfull comments on you breakfast in regards to the excellent quality; I will pass on your comments to the kitchen team.

In regards to activities we do have one of the best facilities in Croatia, with 4 pools, 2 gyms, Spa, sports center with half size Basketball court, Climbing wall & Tennis courts to name a few and 6 restaurants to choose from for dinner at this time of year.

mario.stanic@radissonblu.com
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orasac
Valamar Dubrovnik President Hotel
#6 of 68 in Dubrovnik
Rixos Hotel Libertas
Rixos Hotel Libertas
#13 of 68 in Dubrovnik

Been to Sun Gardens Dubrovnik? Share your experiences!