“spectacular views”

Sun Gardens Dubrovnik
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Orasac
Reviewed August 6, 2013

We spent 7 days in the residences attached to this hotel. The villa was beautiful and very spacious. The views from the balcony were fantastic. It is worth paying the extra for a sea view. This resort is not for those who cannot climb steps with ease in the heat of the day-there was 103 steps to our apartment!!
The hotel has several restaurants on site. They are all expensive but this is a 5 star hotel so you expect to pay a bit more. If you do not hire a car however it is impossible to cook a meal for a family on the stock from the onsite supermarket. The ice creams ,however, from the patisserie are very good value!!
We had a car and travelled to a supermarket where we could buy a bottle of local wine for £5-plavachvar-which was excellent.
The staff were friendly and helpful. The resort is very clean. There is a fantastic sports centre onsite for those with energy to play football or use the gym but this does close at 10pm. In fact most things close at 10pm. Our flight was delayed so we did not get to the resort until 9.30. All the restaurants were closed but the steak restaurant did serve us even though they were about to close.
The boat trip into Dubrovnik-from the marina- is worth doing but it gets booked up and is expensive and does not go that often.
If you have a car there is a good sea food restaurant called Kasar in Zaton which is only 5 minutes away.

Room Tip: Choose a villa with a sea view.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
RadBluDub, General Manager at Sun Gardens Dubrovnik, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2013

It was a pleasure to have you stay with us, and thank you for your excellent feedback.

I was happy to read that you enjoyed the overall resort and that all staff provided you a wonderfull experience. I had noted your wonderfull comments on you room in regards to the excellent quality and cleanliness with your gym and sports activities.

Reviewed August 4, 2013

We stayed for 1 week in mid-July and would say the overall impression of our stay was very good and positive one. We booked this hotel because we wanted the best hotel in the Dubrovnik region and with Radisson Blu you can expect to get a certain level of quality.

The overall resort was very nice and a good size. There is definitely some walking involved to get to places but nothing to put you off. Its layout is easy and convenient too. There are 3 pools available (1 for kids, 1 for adults and 1 for all). We only used the 1 for adults and it was nice and quiet and no problems in finding a bed. Even if you arrive around lunch time you can normally find something. The restaurants in the resort are plenty to choose from although they lack any real quality. It will certainly "do the job" of feeding you but if you want quality and decent local fish then definitely head into Dubrovnik at least a few times. I would also say that the restaurants can be quite pricey too - again not in a crazy sense but definitely no cheaper than where you probably consider home.

The rooms are nice and pretty standard. The deluxe room we had was pretty good but nothing special.

Overall our stay was very nice and fulfilled all our needs. My only issue surrounds the lack of personal touch that comes with the price tag. Whilst everything looked nice, it was clearly a chain type service. Nothing felt overly personal. For the money you spend over other hotels, i question if its really worth it. I wonder if you pay quite a lot less somewhere else if you would have any worse of a relaxing holiday.

Below are the other main points to mention:

Positives:
- The spa is very good and easily accessible
- The Supermarket at the resort is very useful and well priced (but dont give them currency too high or they will be-grudge you!)
- The adult pool was nice and quiet and very relaxing

Negatives:
- We did the BBQ on the monday evening (on twice a week) and it was dreadful. It was a buffet but very badly organised and simply not worth the money. You get poor quality and i wouldnt waste the time.
- I was only offered coffee twice at breakfast in a week - the service at breakfast is non-existant.
- The restaurants are expensive for the quality and choice you get
- We did an excursions to one of the islands, where they promise sandy beaches. Its far from it...you arrive and have to walk (or pay for a taxi golf kart) across the other side of the island (about 2k). This is NOT mentioned anywhere and the sandy beach itself is tiny and packed and not the golden sand you see in the picture. Again, dont waste your time.
- Trips to Dubrovnik must be pre-booked and cost 5 euro or so each way. For me this service should be free for such a hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
RadBluDub, General Manager at Sun Gardens Dubrovnik, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2013

It was a pleasure to have you stay with us, and thank you for your feedback.

I was happy to read that you enjoyed the overall impression of the resort was positive and you enjoyed your stay with us. I had noted that you like our adult’s only pool, and the large space around the resort.

As you are aware we do have a total of six restaurants to choose from, I am not sure that you are aware we do have a seafood restaurant which does serve a selection of fresh fish on the menu both whole or by fillet. I would like to apologies for your negative experience of our BBQ night by the pool these are always booked out with live Cuban music with a team of chefs cooking of steaks, lamb kebabs, chicken and salads buffet for a set price.

Reviewed August 3, 2013

Great stay, great Hotel ! Everything about this hotel is super! Room is spectacular , we had a side view but it was just gorges. I would say the BEST HOTEL we stayed.
Big room, great bed, comfy bedding,so clean.....just speechless ...Bathroom is clean, big and just great.
Customer Services is great, friendly and helpfully staff !
I would recommend Radisson Blue to all travellers who love great place to stay!!!!
We are coming back!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Thalia F

It was a pleasure to have you stay with us, and thank you for your excellent feedback and title of your review.

I was happy to read that you enjoyed the overall resort and that all staff provided you a wonderfull experience. I had noted your wonderfull comments on you room in regards to the excellent quality and cleanliness. I will pass on your comments to the team

Reviewed August 1, 2013

Excellent high class resort with all the facilities you coud expect. The residences, with astonish sights to adriatic sea, very well furnished, modern and with large rooms and terraces. Swimmimg pools, restaurants, gardens, spa, all sport facilities, the service,..... Wanderfull.

One thing to improve. I've been there with my all my family, including a 3 months baby. This resort is NOT well prepared for moving around with a baby in his car. Plenty of stairs with no elevators if you are hosted in one of these fantastic residences to go to the pools, the beach, the restaurants and so on. Some ramps are a must.

Last. The sea: clean, transparent, warm but not too much... Perfect...The adriatic. The beach: no sand, only stones.... The adriatic coast.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
RadBluDub, General Manager at Sun Gardens Dubrovnik, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2013

I was happy to read that you enjoyed our resort and your apartment, and the service was excellent from all team members.

Reviewed August 1, 2013

This was the second time I stayed at the property and my second review. Last time I was here I stayed for two nights, this time for 10 with my family; my previous stay was in one of the apartments whereas this time we stayed in rooms in the main hotel.

The longer stay gave me the opportunity to judge how the hotel performed in more areas - all in all this hotel really delivers. The rooms are spotless, very comfortable and come with every amenity you could want. My only small negative is the absence of English language channels on the TV - 3 24 hour news channels is somewhat tiring! A wider range of English channels would be a benefit.

The various restaurants offer a very wide range of cuisines - I would avoid the pizzeria as it's very expensive for relatively mediocre offerings. All the staff at the hotel give the highest quality of service and appear genuinely interested in looking after their guests.

The 3 main (plus two kids) pools offer plenty of sunbathing areas with a stunning backdrop of the Adriatic and the islands. Plenty of sun beds and convenient bars (with a good happy hour!) make the daytime very relaxing.

All in all a fantastic hotel in a stunning location, ideal for a luxury relaxing break in the sun.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank DonnyUKtraveller
RadBluDub, General Manager at Sun Gardens Dubrovnik, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2013

It was a pleasure to have you stay with us a second time, and thank you for your excellent feedback.

I was happy to read that you enjoyed our resort, and the excellent service that each team member gave you. I had noted that you room was new, clean and well prepared daily, I will pass on your comments to the team.

We are reviewing our selection of t.v station so hopefully next time you will see a wider selection of english channels

Reviewed August 1, 2013

We recently got back from a week in the Radisson Blu.We were a group of grandparents,children and grandchildren.The children and grandchildren slept in apartments in the residences, very well fitted out with one or two bedrooms,small garden and a pull out bed in the sitting room.The kitchen came in handy for the small children as they often ate at home in the evening.
There is a grocery store on the premises where you can get everything for simple meals.
We stayed in a room on the 6th floor of the hotel. Very nice room,quiet and stunning view.
When you are housed on the 6th floor you can have breakfast on the roofterrace and tea plus sandwiches in the clubroom on the 6th floor.
I would not chose to go to the Radisson with my husband on a romantic holiday as it is a huge place , and although you never get the feeling it is full it is a bit like a factory.
For parents with children it is perfect as there is something to do for everyone.
The comments about beaches and swimming pools you can read in the other reviews and indeed the restaurants were a bit expensive and colourless.
We ate out, when not with the small children, in Zaton bay, 5 minutes away where there are 3 lovely restaurants on the sea.
In order to feel we were in Croatia we made outings to Montenegro,Kotor and Bosnia,Mostar and the island of Mlevet and Cravat on the way to the airport.We rented a car cheaply at the airport at Sixt.
Dubrovnik is a very attractive town full of tourists from cruise boats but very much worth the visit.We had dinner in the old harbour where there are several nice restaurants.We especially enjoyed the 45 minute walk on the old wall.
We also rented a small boat to all go to the island opposite the hotel where there is a sandy beach for children and a nice lunch place.
The boat was provided by Ivo from the pizzeria to the left of the hotel coming out of the driveway.
The hotel staff are extremely well chosen by a clever person in HR.
They are almost all Croatian and well educated and helpful.
I have seldom seen such kind and able staff in a hotel.
Almost all water sports are possible at the hotel plus 3 tennis courts.
Would I go again with the family,yes but not with my husband on our own.
The money is Kunas, outside the hotel it is hard to pay with Euros,in Montenegro which is not yet in the EU you can only pay with Euros.
Croatia has an exceptional coastline and some very beautiful national parks inland looked after by Unesco.

Room Tip: the higher up the better.
1  Thank ittagub

It was a pleasure to have you stay with us, and thank you for your feedback.

Thank you for your comments on of your quality of the Hotel and the facilities for your family we do I believe have some of the best in Croatia with 3 tennis courts, Squash courts, volley ball court with 4 pools 3 outdoor plus 1 indoor to name a few.

As you may have read from other reviews a great kids club with many activities for the family, i.e. Jet Ski, Banana Boat etc.with a full program daily.

Reviewed July 31, 2013

We stayed in this fabulous resort for one week in early July. From the moment we arrived we felt that this holiday was going to be one to remember. The staff on reception were very welcoming and friendly. Nothing was too much trouble. We stayed in a two bedroom residence in building one. The view from our large balcony was spectacular and we enjoyed having our lunch there while watching the activities on the water. The apartment was very spacious and we are a family of 6. The children tried the various sports such as sea kayaking and tennis and I can highly recommend Pero as a tennis coach, he was excellent. We ate in quite a few of the restaurants and the food was always tasty and well presented. We enjoyed spending time on the beach and watching the sunset which was always spectacular. All in all, a great family holiday with something for everyone. I must also mention that Paulina and Marijana on reservations were incredibly helpful and informative when I was booking this holiday. We hope to be back some day.

3  Thank Kathsara

I was happy to read that you enjoyed our resort, and that the service and kitchen was excellent. Thank you for your comment on our tennis coach Pero, he does a great job.

mario.stanic@radissonblu.com

Also consider these accommodations in or near Orasac
Hotel Dubrovnik Palace
#13 of 68 in Dubrovnik
Hotel Bellevue Dubrovnik
Hotel Bellevue Dubrovnik
#3 of 68 in Dubrovnik

Been to Sun Gardens Dubrovnik? Share your experiences!