“A beautiful hotel with an amazing spa, but the resort is not great”

Sun Gardens Dubrovnik
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Orasac
Reviewed July 30, 2013

We stayed for one night at the Radisson Blu resort, which is a few kilmometers outside Dubrovnik, on a hillside overlooking the beautiful sea. It is a stunning location, with amazing views, its own pleasant sea beach, and excellent parking and landscaped grounds. The hotel is nice: decent rooms, pleasant public spaces, excellent breakfast buffet, good staff. The spa is absolutely outstanding - really terrific, no hard-sell for treatments, very clean, and with unusual, thoughtful facilities - a hammam, several saunas, a delightful pool, as well as a well-equipped gym.

The down-side: the restaurants at the resort are not up to scratch, and the resort has to work harder to get some atmosphere going. We ate at the Pasta restaurant: the food was decent, with a nice menu with a wide variety of choice, but there was not much atmosphere, service was charming but chaotic, and all the 200 Kuna bottles of wine were 'unavailable', meaning we had to order a 300 Kuna bottle, which was not impressive. Everywhere else in the resort was deserted, apart from the barbeque, which didn't seem to have any vegetarian options. The ice-cream stand closed at 10pm, so our desire to enjoy the night air with a stroll and an ice-cream didn't happen. We went to hear some Cuban live music on the terrace, which was great, and enjoyed a drink there, but, again, not many people were around, and afterwards we went to Ginja nightclub, and joined 8 others guests sitting in an empty space!

The resort is beautiful, but I would have felt isolated if I'd been staying any longer. I would recommend the resort for families with kids, as it is so safe and clean and well organised, but I think younger couples looking for a fun time will rather be in or more close to Dubrovnik. That said, other hotels in the town do not have such an enviously good location, beach, pools, or easy access to the airport.

Room Tip: Almost all views have some sea view.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank AmnonLondon
RadBluDub, General Manager at Sun Gardens Dubrovnik, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2013

It was a pleasure to have you stay with us, and thank you for your feedback.

I am happy to read that you enjoyed your Occo Spa experience; I had noted that you enjoyed your meal at La Pasta. We do have a weekly program of entertainment in the resort which also included a live jazz trio at La Pasta and the Cuban band playing outdoor twice weekly at the BBQ.

It was a pleasure to read that all staff were friendly and helpfull during your stay.

Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

Went to Cilentto for our first diner. Service was excellent but the food so bad , very expensive for what is on the menu. Ceviche marinated in Grappa was not editable , a polenta soup awful, a dry piece of chicken on a bed of ratatouille , a pooched sea bass when menu mentioned grilled, the boiled vegetable had no taste whatsoever . We complain to the restaurant Manager , very professional approach no argue , he removed from our bill all items that we didn't t like , and gave me the FB Manager email to explain my complain. We went back home and make a sandwich. Pity the location is great , the service excellent the only problem is the food.....Not going back to Cilantro.

• Stayed: July 2013
3  Thank craigjacqueline
Reviewed July 29, 2013

This happened to be a very good choice. The hotel is located at the outskirts of Dubrovnik which is a good thing, once you're done exploring the city, you kinda get away from crowd and noise into peace and queit. The service at the hotel was great, they were very kind and helpfull. The room was great as well, spacious and luxurious with sea view and decent size balkony. Breakfeast had a variety, from cerial to eggs and cakes by your choice, also there was a cook there making the treats in case there is something you like and is you couldn't find it at the baffeut.

Hotel offers several courts for playing sports; tennis courts, basketball, rock climbing, table tennis, etc. so you've got something to do in case it's raining or there is a storm out (my case).

The only minor complaint goes to food prices at the hotel itself. I ordered a hamburger room service on once occasion and I think it was the most expencive burger I ever paid in my life :) Coffee and staff like that, prices are decent. Overall, I had a great time there, would visit again.

Room Tip: Go for the sea view if possible, rather than garden view 'cause then you really know you are at...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
RadBluDub, General Manager at Sun Gardens Dubrovnik, responded to this reviewResponded August 3, 2013

It was a pleasure to have you stay with us, and thank you for your feedback.

I was happy to read that you enjoyed our resort, and that the service was excellent from all team members .I will pass on your excellent feedback regarding our breakfast buffet. I had noted that you enjoyed our large sports facilities, we do have one of the best facilities in Dubrovnik from 3 tennis courts, squash court, Mini Soccer Field, 2 Gyms and a Indoor Pool to name a few.

Reviewed July 28, 2013

I agree with all Marit N, previous reviewer, writes. Thus I won't repeat it. This resort is huge factory- too many people. The main positive is that we found the staff very friendly and helpful- from the towel boys to fitness Center to (most) of the restaurant waiters. Food is very bad, excepting one very good meal at Butchers, and a surprisingly limited choice- lunch particularly is a disaster. Cilantro restaurant particularly poor on all accounts (overlooked fish, slow, manager).

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank DutchGirlTheHague
RadBluDub, General Manager at Sun Gardens Dubrovnik, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2013

It was a pleasure to have you stay with us, and thank you for your feedback.

I would like to apologies for your negative experience, I would like to address a few of your concerns.
The shuttle bus and boat service, this time of year we do offer 9 various times per day to the old city as you are aware this is only 5 Euro per trip one way for the bus. We do try and keep this price as low as possible, given the 20 min trip each way. The shuttle is free during winter of each year but since our opening we do not offer the shuttle free in summer.

I am happy to read that you enjoyed your dinner at Butchers Grill, I do apologies for your negative experience in our seafood restaurant .As you may be aware we do offer 4 restaurants for lunch daily and 6 for dinner, each with different theme and price points to suit all budgets. I will pass on your positive feedback regarding the all staff being friendly and helpfull to the team.

Reviewed July 28, 2013

I am quite amazed to have read a lot of reviews stating that this resort is "heaven". We find it very hard to associate it with anything but average. We stayed in a one-bedroom residence and I should confess that the comfort of it was pretty good. The bedding was excellent, well functioning air-condition, well equipped kitchen and stunning view from the terace as well as quite good cleaning. But that's about it. The resort is completely isolated and is basicly in the middle of nowhere. Wherever you wish to go you need a taxi which is disgracefully expensive. Otherwise there is completely useless shuttle service to Dubrovnik which goes only three times per day is NOT free of charge and on top of that you have to book it! Food in the restaurants is quite average though the prices are apparently not and a bottle of a very primitive wine starts at about 40 euro. I should also mention that the service is extremely slow ( once we managed to lunch for two hours in the Cilantro cafe having standard and pretty untasty sallads). It is not quite easy to get a menu in the restaurants of the resort and we noted that it is typical for other restaurants in the area. Quite unpleasant and irritating actually.
The beach is practically non-existant, so if you are used to sandy mediterranean or carribean beaches (as we are) you will be totally disappointed. The beach is nothing but a concrete spot partially covered by pebbles. And don't forget that the stony sea bottom requires special rubber slippers for bathing. The beach personnel is completely at a loss regarding what they are expected to do. There is much moving of the sunbeds and umbrellas around which is pretty disturbing. The beach equipment (sunbeds and umbrellas) are worn out and old and the umbrellas don't provide enough shadow. We have never been to a beach like that and founf it appalling.
Worth mentioning that to go to and from the so-called beach from the residences you have to conquer approximately one hundred steps which are pretty steep. No facilities to go up and down for persons with disabilities or elderly persons.
I woudn't either recommend any private excursion for that matter. We booked one stupidly enough with a private guide to Montenegro. The excusion was poorly planned consisting of ten hours driving and two app. one-hour stops where the guide disappered.
All in all we found this resort not even close to have good value for money and we will definitely not recommend it to anyone. The overall impresiion is also that In Croatia the standard doesn't live up to the price level at all.

Room Tip: Residences in building 1 seaview
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Marit N

It was a pleasure to have you stay with us, and thank you for your feedback.

As you may not be aware 98% of all beach in Croatia are stone beaches, sadly this is common in most hotels in Dubrovnik and Croatia with some other five star hotels not having a beach at all. We do work with a third party tour company on site Korkyra who run various trip such as you outlined I have meet with the Manager of that company to review this case, normally we do have excellent feedback regarding their service.

Reviewed July 26, 2013

The hotel is simply classes above any other hotels we have ever stayed at; the location is beautiful, the rooms are big, modern, and clean, the staff is VERY nice and helpful, the facilities are really good (spa, sports centre, swimming pools), and the food is great. Everything is pricey, but it is worth the money! It is our third time there, and we plan on returning next year.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Adelina Y
RadBluDub, General Manager at Sun Gardens Dubrovnik, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2013

It was a pleasure to have you stay with us for the third time, and thank you for your excellent feedback.

I was happy to read that you enjoyed our resort, and that the service was great from all team members. I had noted your excellent comments on the food in the resort, I will pass on your feedback to our kitchen team.

Reviewed July 25, 2013

I visited this hotel with a friend for her birthday, and was blown away by the place & the service. We had a Delux Room - the view from the balcony was stunning, and the room beautiful, with everything you could possibly want. It was set in spacious grounds with 3 swiming pools plus childrens pools, but wherever you went you were never cramped. Whilst there we used the spa, and also had some spa treatments (facials & hot stone treatments), which were very relaxing. We used the mini bus (25 mins) & boat (40 mins) shuttle service into town and every time they were on time & easy to book (5 euros each way for bus, and 10 euros each way for boat). The buffet breakfasts offered great choice, and the views from the terraces where breakfast was serverd were beautiful. There were many bars & restaurants on site, as well as some shops & a little supermarket which was very convenient. The staff were extremely helpful & polite the whole time - nothing was too much trouble for them.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends

mario.stanic@radissonblu.com

Also consider these accommodations in or near Orasac
Hotel Dubrovnik Palace
#13 of 68 in Dubrovnik
Hotel Bellevue Dubrovnik
Hotel Bellevue Dubrovnik
#3 of 68 in Dubrovnik

Been to Sun Gardens Dubrovnik? Share your experiences!