“Silence is the keyword, and it's missing in here” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sun Gardens Dubrovnik

Sun Gardens Dubrovnik
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Orasac
Moscow, Russia
“Silence is the keyword, and it's missing in here”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2011

At first, the hotel looks great - the design is well thought, service is very professional and not annoying, you will easily find where to dine, what to do, and where to dine whether you're old or young, traveling with family and children or simply on your own.

But there is a large BUT, and for us it was silence in the night - or rather the lack of it. On the first night i woke up just past midnight, and there was some music paying in the garden, which was tolerable, but still a bit too loud - i decided to check out with reception what was going on, and i was told that it was coming from the pool-side bar, which was also my impression. Well, i had to close the balcony door to ret rid of the noise and this is what i did. Not an ideal solution, because one is usually going to seaside in September to get some nice fresh air instead of air conditioning, but at least I can live with it.

But the real deal of noise is what we've got on the next night - it turned out to be a Wednesday - the Karaoke night or something along these lines. The music was playing so loud that even with the doors fully closed the noise was still entering the room to the point of waking me up a couple of times and making my 10-month old kid uncomfortable. Well, it really felt like they borrowed the animation team from a third-class Turkish hotel, and sent a reasonable Comfort and Silence Keeping Manager on a long-term leave. Of course, the music didn't stop at 11PM as it was supposed to. So a bad night's sleep is what we've got.

Dear hotel management, if you're reading this, please make a note that an overly creative approach to musical programme may sometimes be not only unpleasant, but simply annoying, let alone, spoiling the impression of what otherwise is a great experience.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Maxim_sleepy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (404)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Epsom, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2011

Just back today from an amazing 10 night stay at the Radisson Blu. This is a spacious, luxury resort with excellent pools and leisure facilities. The rooms (we stayed in a one bedroom residence) are very well appointed and had plenty of room for the three of us. We were in block 1 on the top floor and although this meant lots of steps down to the pool each day the views out to sea were more than worth it. Staff were friendly and on the two occasions that we did need help (I jammed the safe and we ran out of shower gel) they were fixed in less than 5 minutes. Breakfasts were impressive with a varied choice although I have to agree with other feedback that the restaurants on site were expensive for what they offered and we ended up spending on average £100 for pizza / pasta with wine which is a bit rich. We followed earlier advice on Trip Advisor and headed to the Konoba Hill restaurant in Tsrento. This offers good local cuisine at more reasonable prices and with a very warm welcome. Try the Dalmation Lamb if you get the chance (need to order in advance). We didn't do as much exploring as planned in part due to enjoying the hotel so much and also due to the particularly warm weather. We would however recommend a trip to Lopud and Cavtat and of course into the old town although the crowds were a bit too much.

In summary, a fantastic holiday in a top hotel. We will seriously consider returning next year!

1 Thank RGN123
Canterbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2011

Despite the Radisson Blu's stunning location, first-class facilities, delicious food, comfortable beds, friendly & helpful staff, our stay here was spoiled by competing piped music playing throughout most of the public places from breakfast until midnight (dining areas, restaurants, pools, lobby, bars, terraces etc). Thankfully, the hotel's private beach was a 'music-free' zone but overall we left disappointed, longing for some peace and quiet.
Apart from being inside our rooms (with the sliding window-doors closed), it was almost impossible to avoid the all-pervasive music. We longed to hear the natural sounds of the sea but it was not to be on this stay.
The hotel is new ("3 seasons") with a very modern design but sometimes image and form seemed to dictate rather than practical function. My 87 year old mother was unable to risk negotiating a hazardous 'leg-over' climb into the wide rimmed bath/shower (sharp-edged, not round) with a slippery (when wet) floor and had to settle instead for a basin wash.
The digital telephone was too high-tech and, late at night, it was a struggle to work out how to call reception to complain about the intrusive, amplified sounds of that night's live band "entertainment".
The hotel caters best for younger people and children who like a lively atmoshere, we were probably too old (55+) and had the added concern of looking after an 87 year old. The lack of handrails around the complex was the best sign that we were out of place!
Before our visit I didn't notice any reviews that mentioned music which suggests we're being over-sensitive and grouchy but I still think it's worth mentioning so that both management and potential clients are aware of the current situation.
Without the music, this place deserves all the praise it gets...

3 Thank oldwatertower
Lytham St Annes
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2011

I was very fortunate to have stayed here on a business conference in June of this year, and I have to say that I could not fault the Hotel, the setting or the ammenities. The attention to detail and the feeling of luxury is second to none.The Hotel is set in almost it's own village with several restaurants, bars and a small night club. The daytime facilities are equally as impressive with three outstanding pools, a gym/ spa and extremely spacious and well manicured gardens. It even has it's own Marina and a small private beach, and the views from my balcony were to die for!
Although I loved my stay here, and I will re-visit Croatia as it is truly stunningly beautiful, I would not choose a Hotel such as this for a family holiday, it is great for perhaps older people or honeymooners looking for peace and seclusion, but it lacks the fun element and would have been very reserved if I had not been with 300 other delegates on my trip. I have to agree with other reviews regarding the cost of the food, as we averaged between £15-£20 just for a light lunchtime meal, which would normally be half the price elsewhere, and probably better! I actually paid in the region of £15 for a burger from room service, waited 40 minutes for it and when it arrived it was purely a burger in a bun with a small pot of relish, but no salad garnish, chips or anything else.
When I return to Dubrovnik, I will stay closer to the city as it has so much more to offer with an abundance of historic architecture, a bustling harbour/port, and colourful quaint streets with a mind blowing choice of extremely good and reasonably priced restaurants and shops/stalls. The Radisson Blu is lovely and in a goreous setting, but it is somewhat characterless and isolated from the real Dubrovnik/Croatia.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank S4COP
somerset
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2011

This is a modern, clean hotel, with good pools and reasonable rooms. Very pleased that the hotel could put the kids in an adjoining room. Less happy that they expected a 16 years old boy and his 13 year old sister to share a bed, so my daughter ended up on a single bed that was squeezed into the room.

Biggest issue was the profiteering on meals. The hotel is about 8 km from Dubrovnik and all the restaurants within walking distance are part of the hotel. £80 for 4 pizzas and drinks, £140 for proper food.

• Stayed August 2011
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank tyke66
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2011

This truely is a stunning place to stay,with beautiful views and really modern clean environment. Set on a hill with stunning trees and scenery you could hardly not like this place. This was second visit however first was only a 1 night stay in October and it was like a ghost town then. I travelled this time with my 6 year old daughter, just the two of us.
Apartment (we had a 1 bedroom sea view) is very modern with very best decor, and a kitchenette which has a microwave and large fridge, dish washer with 2 ring hob. Kettle suppliedwitha few tea bags and coffee sachets to get you going. Fridge is well stocked with drinks/chocolate and some snacks.also provided is a starter kit for washing up ,dish cloth, sponge etc and washing up liquid and surface cleaner. There are pans and frying pan few dishes plates etc, and a tea towel. Our fridge did nit seem to col things quickly but they may have ben because there was so much in it, I supppose we could have asked them to remove it all. Bathroom has supplies daily of shampoo conditioner body wash etc.
Complex has 3 outdoor pools middle one was busiest with many children, we went mostly to one near actual hotel. I believe the other one was adults only which is always handy to know, as I can totally believe those without children would find it to much in peak season.
Restaurants really is a mixed review, there is a promenade where there are 4 eating places a bakery but it's a pizza pallid quite reasonable about £8 a pizza, a pasta place but they will tell you they only serve 4 pasta dishes ( now this confused us as menu was slightly confusing so we asked and ended up with some cold anti pasta ) this was again fairly reasonable but from what we could tell little choice. There was a steak type restaurant we did not go to, and a fish restaurant which was very expensive and for what we had was not good value for money especially considering where we are, they even charged £4 for a side dish of spinach and £4 for some boiled potatoes as when I asked what it came with he said nothing really just a sauce and there was no price for side dishes as such except with the fish of the day that I could not have, but I saw someone else had some veg so asked for whatever I was not fussy but I really felt that was over the top. I expect to pay a bit more when staying in a nice hotel but the night before I paid for myself and my daughter to go into Dubrovnik by shuttle which cost £6 and we had a lovely meal in Dubrovnik in a really nice restaurant overlooking the sea and city wall and we had lots to eat and cost me less than walking one flight of steps and having a basic sea bream with veg one beer and one orange! My advice would be to go into town. The other thing is there is not slot of atmosphere at night it feels a little sparse, probably because everyone has gone into Dubrovnik! For me it was fine as we always brings lots of games and we had the tv which hosted some good films,but if you are looking to occupy the children there is not alot of entertainment. I did venture to the gym daily and there was no charge for the kids club which was in the fabulous sports hall, so if you have slighty older children there looked like there was table tennis, badminton, games room, sports tv, gym, tennis courts and all free. Free wi fi too which was great. Beach was pebbles but very clear and snorkelling good to watch small fish my daughter loved it. A small Marina and waterspouts at normal rates was also available. One good things was there never seemed too much of a problem people finding sun beds, everyone was well catered for without being on top of each other.
Service was ok I would not say any of the staff went out of their way to be extra friendly or to smile and make the holiday a difference but then it's a big hotel and that's what you find whether it's 5 star or not. All in all location location location made this holiday for us with the great amenities during the day. Would I come back again, yes but I would not bother too much with eateries as stated in many of the reviews I read they are right.

1 Thank LouLouFareham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2011

we stayed for a week half board with 2 children. the hotel was clean,food choice was good and views were amazing. the staff were friendly and efficient-nothing was any trouble. the on site supermarket and bakery were reasonable prices and lots of choice. there were 3 large pools- one adult only one and the other 2 had childrens pools attached. each pool area had a bar,clean toilets,towel attendants giving out clean towels and quiet music playing.the hotel also had a travel agents on site where you could book trips and also book the hotels very reliable and comfortable shuttle bus or water taxi into dubrovnik.
we went on a couple of trips and would recommend the island lopud to go for a lovely sandy beach and small harbour.however, would say to get one of the taxi bikes down to the beach for a couple of pounds.we were told it only takes 10 mins to walk but took half hour in blazing sun-realised when we saw everyone else passing on these bikes.needless to say,we took one going back to the harbour and kids thought it was great fun,because it was bumpy and fast.
dubrovnik is a beautiful place and well worth a visit,as is lokrum, an island 10 mins away from there. it has a salt water lake and peacocks walking around,an old monestary and cafes etc-it is a nature reserve.
the hotel does have some entertainment,mainly bands,trios and karaoke nights, has a childrens club and excellent spa.
i would definately go back because a week is not long enough to see this beautiful,friendly country.

Room Tip: i would advise people with trouble walking and using steps to request a room in block one in residen...