I had read great reviews here of the fabulous, spacious apartments and thought they would suit us perfectly. We booked a 2 bedroom residence with 1 king and 2 singles with a large terrace for a family of 5
I rang the Reservation Dept as soon as I placed the internet booking to confirm that there were 2 single beds in the second room, and was told there were definitely were.
When we arrived, we were put in Room 1013, which had only one single bed, no terrace and horribly dark, small and pokey.
The older boys had to sleep on a sofa bed in the living area which no-one could move around, and was a serious health and safety hazard. The smallest child was up early every morning and had nowhere to go, so woke everyone- which was why we had booked the larger apartment in the first place.
There was also no way in or out of it without going up or down lots of steps which made it very difficult to access with the baby in a buggy.
Considering how much we had paid for our "luxury holiday" it was extremely disappointing.
The resort was overbooked so we couldn't change rooms. After many, many complaints daily we eventually got moved - 5 days later, but it very much spoilt the start of our holiday - we couldn't even unpack there was so little space, and it was very frustrating to be told every morning "maybe we will move you tomorrow".
I did not get so much as an apology. The staff and manager were polite but It was a real "shrug the shoulders" attitude They could "do nothing". It has left me with a very bad impression of the Radisson .
I asked several times for a refund to compensate for the first 4 nights. and was told I would be emailed, but as yet I have heard nothing, 2 weeks later.
I will try to be objective about the rest of the review...
The location is stunning.
Everything you need is on site from a supermarket (reasonably well stocked apart from salad veg), banking machine, shops, restaurants.
The resort is spotlessly clean and the apartments are of a high quality finish and well equipped.
The pools were lovely and the beach great if you don't mind the pebbles ( you can get jelly shoes in the shop there), the water was really clean
The sports centre was great, although it took us a while to locate it and find out what was on.
The boys did soccer coaching, which we set up for them every day. Antonio, the coach, was excellent.
We took the boat trip to Lopud and would recommend it.
On the down side
The steps and hills make this resort very unsuitable for small children in buggies. The layout is very frustrating - even a small trip became very long to try and avoid the steps, and involved going through 2 separate lobbies to get the only lifts.It seemed deliberately awkward - there were steps in places they didn't even need steps! A few ramps or external lifts could be added easily now to make the resort more accessible.
Its not very child friendly from a toddler perspective. There are a couple of toddler pools, but they were too cold for small children (in July!). They have no fence around them, so too easy for a small child to either run into the pool, or run away. Same with the little play park - a fence and a few adult seats would make a big difference. There is no kids club or indoor play area for under 3s.
Everything seemed very expensive, the food quality was fine, but it was not up to the 5 star prices they charged. Dinner for 2 adults and 2 children was €150.
There were a few "intro" free activities but most activities were charged. The Sports Centre was very underutilised for that reason eg there is a custom built Wii room, but you have to pay to use it.
Those issues aside, it is a nice resort, but you cannot be confident of your booking, so it is a bit of a lottery when you book
I wont be taking the risk again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Enjoying a privileged location just steps away from a picturesque beach, resort offers wide array of rooms, suites and residences. With its award winning 3500 m2 Spa, large Sport center, beach, 3 outdoor pools and marina, conference facilities it's designed for ultimate luxury holiday experience. Gourmet heaven is the only way to describe the dining options at this five-star Adriatic Sea hotel. Guests are spoilt for choice with a fabulous array of restaurants, poolside eateries, bars and a unique Market Place concept, serving up delicious international and local dishes. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Priceline, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Hotwire, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Sun Gardens Dubrovnik reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Radisson Blu Resort & Spa At Dubrovnik Sun Gardens Hotel Dubrovnik
- Radisson Blu Resort And Spa At Dubrovnik Sun Gardens
- Radisson Blu Hotel Dubrovnik Riviera
- Sun Gardens Dubrovnik Dubrovnik-Neretva County, Croatia - Orasac