“Comfortable, clean & friendly”

Gateway on Monash Boutique Hotel
Geelong, Australia
“Comfortable, clean & friendly”
Reviewed August 21, 2011

I stayed for a week for business and this hotel made me feel at home. The room I stayed in was comfortable, especially the bed which made for a great night's sleep! The staff are helpful and friendly. I also ate in the restaurant a few times and never had an issue with the food as it was always delicious. Overall, I would return here whenever business calls me away.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
GatewayMonash, Manager at Gateway on Monash Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, September 13, 2011
Many thanks for taking the time to review our property. We hope to have the pleasure of your comapny again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
australia
Reviewed August 4, 2011

Clean, top knotch room, spa one of the best, parking,

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank criptolote
Thank you for your feedback. We hope to see you back again soon.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed July 22, 2011

Arriving in Melbourne on a freezing winter's evening it was very comforting to check into a clean and comfortable hotel where the "Heat" button meant instant warm air filled the room.
Like another reviewer, I was surprised to find the cosy boutique look of the reception area led onto a standard motel format line of doors behind the main building, but the room and bathroom were well laid-out, super clean and comfortable.
The big disappointment was the food. As I arrived around 7 pm I was pleased to see the "restaurant open" billboard standing outside on the footpath, however at reception I was told the restaurant was closed. They did however offer quite a good snack menu as room service, so I didn't have to venture back outside to hunt for a restaurant.
The buffet breakfast next morning was far below the standard of comparable breakfasts in other hotels - limited choice of cereals, no croissants or pastries, and the four types of bread - white, wholemeal, grains, fruit - looked quite uninspiring. I tried the fruit bread and it had a strange carboard-type flavour as though it had been stored in a cardboard container.... not nice at all.
I had a similar bad experience with the coffee - so ok I'm a coffee snob but although my latte looked really good, it tasted dreadful. I then discovered it was brewed coffee that had been sitting in a pot on the buffet, to which milk had been added. Given the overall standard of the hotel, why don't they invest in a real coffee machine???
I had been intending to try the restaurant on my second evening but after my breakfast experience I decided to give it a miss.
My overall impression is that the owners/managers thought it was worthwhile to spend the big money on the decor and fittings e.g. spa bath, but they seem to want to skimp on the food side.... can't quite see the logic in that if they want to build up a good reputation and have return customers.
That being said, the staff were all super friendly and helpful. So two of out three ain't bad?

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank chienvoyageur
GatewayMonash, Manager at Gateway on Monash Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, August 18, 2011
Dear valued guest,
We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for providing your feedback on Trip Advisor.
At the Gateway on Monash Boutique Hotel we are continually striving to improve our services for guests and any feedback from guests is much appreciated.
We were disappointed to read that after having breakfast in the restaurant you chose not to eat there again during your stay. We understand that you found the buffet unsatisfactory and assure you that this is not a frequent occurrence at our hotel. We pride ourselves on being able to offer our guests modern Australian cuisine that is tasty and diverse.
We also noticed that the coffee was below what you expect from a hotel of our stature and we can only inform you that we do in fact own a coffee machine and on this instance it wasn’t utilized. We have ensured that our staff are aware of this and intend to not repeat this mistake.
Finally, we at the Gateway on Monash Boutique Hotel hope that your first impression isn’t lasting and that you stay with us again in the near future.
Thank you again for your feedback.
Warm regards,
The staff at Gateway on Monash Boutique Hotel
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 22, 2011

This is a very overdue review. Work takes me often to the Monash Medical Centre (which is a bit in the middle of nowhere) and for a long time I struggled to find a comfortable, clean hotel not far from it. When I finally stayed at this warm boutique hotel I knew my search was over. I can't even remember how many times I stayed at the Gateway in the last year as every stay was uneventful - for the right reasons. Nice spacious comfortable rooms, friendly, professional service, good food and a nice warm homely feel, which, for someone who spends half of her life traveling, is a priceless asset. I wish I could find something similar in Melbourne CBD. In fact, I wish I could find the Gateway on Monash everywhere I travel.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Comik99
Brisbane
Reviewed May 25, 2010

We were THRILLED with our 2 night stay over the weekend at Gateway on Monash. The two bed apartment was HUGE. See the pics. The lounge/dining room was big enough to hold a ball! The place was spotless (I mean immaculately spotless!) and everything you needed was included down to air freshener in the toilets, a whole bottle of dishwashing liquid in the kitchen, washing powder in the laundry. Superb!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank mssell
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed July 31, 2008

Well this was a surprise and a disappointment. First of all I booked in here because I thought it was a 4 star apartment hotel. However, when I arrived and saw that it was actually a "Motel" arrangement my heart sunk. I do have to say that the rooms were very nicely appointed and the beds "OK' though the pillows very ordinary. It was only $10 more than the cheapo 3 star place I had been in the night before but the difference was enormous. My room was huge with a large dining table as well as sofa and nice furniture too. The bathroom included a spa bath and was quite spacious and the toiletries included bath crystals . The only down side was that my room heater didnt appear to be working and I had to spend the entire night shivering and freezing whilst listening to the heating unit for the next door room kick in and out [and wishing it was mine that was making that noise]. The dining room was quite nice with really friendly staff - food was only ok though All in all it was a surprising place and "ok" for business travellers needing to be close by their site.

• Liked — Good parking
  • Disliked — Noise from air conditioning units in neighboring rooms/noise from people passing by room
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
1 Thank BrisCaz
Frankfurt, Germany
Reviewed September 10, 2006

Clean and well equipped rooms with a nice personal touch and excellent service

• Liked — The rooms and the restaurant
  • Stayed May 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Notting Hill
Quest Glen Waverley
Quest Glen Waverley
#1 of 6 in Glen Waverley
Clayton Monash Motor Inn & Serviced Apartments

Been to Gateway on Monash Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!