“Beautiful hotel, friendly staff - highly recommended”

Regency Country Club
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Chayofa
Barrow, United Kingdom
“Beautiful hotel, friendly staff - highly recommended”
Reviewed June 22, 2014

Wonderful hotel - by far the best I've stayed at in the Canary Islands. The Bali-theme continues throughout the hotel and really is a joy to be in. There are two main things to highlight: the hotel amenities and the location.

I'll start with the location because others here have said it's probably the only down side and I'd agree! We didn't find it a problem, though. There is a shuttle bus into town (the the times aren't great with the last one back at 1800 and they're not too regular, but it's useful nonetheless. A taxi costs between 7.50 and 10 EUROS to Los Cristianos. The hotel restaurant seemed nice enough and there is a pricier more 'exclusive' restaurant owned by the hotel just up the road.

Now, the hotel itself... wow! Absolutely beautiful and immaculate. Wonderful first impressions in the lobby where you're greeted with a glass of bubbly and, if you're very lucky, the sunset looking over the pool and out towards La Gomera.

You can tell a lot of work goes into maintaining and cleaning every part of the hotel, from the rooms (cleaning every day) to the pool, to the comfort facilities after you've checked out. Everything has been thought of and if there's something you need, then the staff will go out of their way to help you. There is a small mini market on site which is handy, but not extensively stocked. The self catering apartments have everything you need to cook (including egg cups!) if you want to stay in and enjoy the view from your room which we did one night and it was lovely!

Our room was a luxury room/apartment, with a kitchen/living room complete with chez long and breakfast bar, bathroom w/jacuzzi and plenty of mirrors for the vain amongst you and a bedroom with four-poster bed. Both the living room and bedroom open out onto the balcony which has table and chairs and two loungers. On the second level (yes, second level) there's a private roof top terrace offering stunning views out to see (save for the half-built "thing" obscuring it somewhat). You're overlooked by everyone behind you, so it's not that private, but it's nice to enjoy and evening drink or have a lie in the sun.

The infinity pool is wonderful when you're in it, but if you're any higher than water level the incomplete building in front of the hotel is a bit of a blotch, but hey. Having said that, the surrounding pool area is very relaxing and immaculate as stated before. If you're feeling like you need exercise then there's the bar to swim up to in the corner (or the on-site gym). A massage tent and mini-golf are also available to use. I'm 24 and my girlfriend is 20 and we loved the mini-golf!! A free-of-charge extra which is suitable for anyone, with a comfy area for parents to watch or for a mid-game chillout. There's a waterfall and stream running through it and we had a blast (I may be slightly bias as I won every time...). A few other bits like table tennis, pool and a large chess board can keep you entertained!

Upon a sad departure, the comfort facilities are ideal if your flight is later in the day. Lockers for your bags are available and there are private rooms with showers and areas to get changed and hair-dryers. Towels are available upon request at reception for use around the pool, too.

All-in-all, a splendid hotel and I'd definitely recommend it if you're not too bothered about not being right next to bars/restaurants. The 10 minute bus journey isn't too burdensome!

We went as a couple but there were a few families around and seemed more than suitable for children (but it wasn't swamped by them. Plenty of peace and quiet and you can find your own little space away from everybody if you like.

Room Tip: We took a recommendation from here to book a sea/garden view - we paid a bit extra and the room was...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank tehowlett1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Rochester, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 20, 2014

Set back in the hills in a little village in Chayofa this resort offers self catering department. we had a 3 bedroom apartment 705 and was we impressed it was very clean had all the mod cons tv, hifi and dvd player ect the kitchen had everything you need to cook up slap up meal that's if you want to cook... there's a supermarket on site but its over priced but about 10 minutes down the road is Marcardo supermarket which is excellent value. the resort is very welcoming the staff are very helpful and will give you any advice on places to see and go. You have a bar and pool bar the bar food is good the resort has a gym but the machines are out of date and in located in a dingy basement. they have entertainment and lots for the kids to do. you do need a car to make the most of the island you can use public transport but it wont take you to places you can go with a car I will be coming back...... there's free wifi in the reception but if your lucky you can get it in your room .....

Room Tip: room 705 3 bedrooms with power shower and bath Jacuzzi
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank vonhelmet
Reviewed June 10, 2014

Just got back from a 4 night break and me and the girlfriend really enjoyed our stay here. We arrived late to be met by Tomas at reception who was very friendly and took time to explain everything to us and gave us a little welcome drink (Nice touch they do for everyone).

We were given a very nice 1 bed self catered apartment that can sleep 2 kids as well on the sofa couch so it was enough for us. Unit was very clean with nice balcony which had a round table for breakfast, two deck chairs and a further two deck chairs which are actually on the roof of the apartment and access by a set of stairs off the main balcony (very secluded if you want to soak up sun and not be seen by anyone)

Hotel restaurant looked clean but we decided against eating breakfast there as it was a bit of a rip off at €12 per person. Its standard stuff you get at every breakfast in these hotels. I'm sure it's ok but i wouldn't pay €12 for it especially considering that we had a self catering unit for 4 nights. €48 can buy you enough from a local supermarket to make your own custom breakfast in the apartment which is what we did and it cost us half that.

Best things for me:
The green heated infiniti pool is awesome. It also has a jacuzzi on the side (The water could be a bit warmer in the Jacuzzi if i'm honest, it was same temp. as the pool). There is a swim-in pool bar with seats in the water. Very nice. Great view from the edge of the pool as well.

Staff were excellent. Elias and Tomas were very, very helpful with recommendations on where to eat and how to get around.

Restaurants: Check out Meson Castellano and El Molino Blanco (Excellent Food)

Clubs - there isnt a great deal but there are two that keep getting mentioned - "El Faro" which we went to was closed so we went to another which we were told about "Achaman". Achaman is more local with latin music (Think Pitbull, J-Lo, Daddy Yankee, Merengue and Salsa music) There were no british people in sight as I'm guessing Brits don't like that kind of music. I thought it was really good. Everyone dancing on the dance floor and it was Free to get in.

Free shuttle bus... We took a look at a few hotels and were a bit worried that we had picked a place too far away from the shore but after staying here it was the best choice. The hotel is not really that far away up the hill - I thought it was well located and away from the hustle and bustle at the seafront. If you want to get to the beach, there's the free shuttle buses which you can also catch back to the hotel. (it finishes around 6/7pm though). A taxi is only 7-10 euros as well so not bad.

Hotel has some good facilities. Never got to see the gym so can't comment but there is 12 hole mini golf, table tennis, pool table, dart board, air hockey outside next to the pool so great if you want that. Table Tennis is free as well, not sure about pool table.

If you like Golf - The "Golf Las Americas" golf course looked amazing though I didn't get to play it : ( The clubhouse is excellent. If you don't have clubs you can get a round in for €58 and club hire ranges from €17-€39 depending on which clubs you hire.

We did a tour to "Mount Teide" as well. That's the name of the volcano. It was interesting but I wouldn't do it again. The bus was small and a bit cramped and the tour guide woman that was doing the talking was a bit irritating - in all fairness to her though she was very sweet but boy could the woman talk, respect to anyone that does that as their day job over and over again every day - she knew her stuff. So if you fancy listening to someone talk for 5 hours on a bus in the heat then great. Plus side to the tour - we did stop at some really nice places along the way and after seeing mount Teide. The one place had these natural swimming pools that have been created by the positions of the rocks in the sea so there are like outlets that are cut off from the bigger ocean and I had swim in the Turqoise colored waters (Absolutely Awesome)

Other than that, weather was really good and Sun was out most days. You can actually go to beach at like 5 pm and it would be hot enough to warrant a swim. Down at Los Cristianos the beach wasn't bad at all. You know before you go there that it's not going to be the best sandy beach you've ever seen but its wasn't that bad - Not all the beaches have black volcanic sand, they've imported some sand for the sandy beaches. The water was a bit turqoise in the one area and very shallow to swim in. I really enjoyed it.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank donleche
Reviewed June 9, 2014 via mobile

Just got back over a week ago and absolutely loved this hotel, we made good use of the shuttle service but make sure you arrive at least 10 minutes early because the driver sometimes leave before set time and we almost missed the last one even though we were bout 10 mins early, we ate at the restaurant in hotel twice food is ok, had the best cocktail in the afternoon but when ordered later in evening it was different bartender and wasn't as great, we took bus down to beach almost everyday an had dinner out town instead, a lot cheaper an beach was lovely the staff were amazing and helpful, told them in advance I had autistic child and wanted quiet area near pool they gave me rm 303 and it was the best position, right outside playground an kids club and 10 seconds to the pool couldn't ask for better, my friend arrived a few days before me an got placed high up and about 5 mins from main hotel she requested rm next to me in the end and they moved her, Oliver was very helpful, cleaning lady Sonia made our rm everyday, I didn't expect it to have everything including washing up liquid and sponge which I made my partner go out an buy in the morning before I checked, literally jus had to bring our clothes, beach towels are provided and towels were changed everyday, absolutely loved this place, just wished it wasn't so far from everything and definitely need transport to places, but would love to return here again in the future, had some problems with transfer I arranged with lowcostholidays they were over half hour late picking us up, taxi from hotel was actually cheaper at €24 one way so maybe if I go again i would prob jus take a taxi, pretty close to hotel bout 15 mins, always sun loungers available, only one day we were there that it got kinda busy kids club was great, gave me an partner a couple hours to relax by pool without having to watch kids, overall accommodating place and great service

Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank laylay
Reviewed June 7, 2014 via mobile

Just returned from 5 nights here with 3 friends. Apartments lovely, very big, 2 bathrooms in the 2 bed, big terrace, kitchen everything you need. Two TVs with English channels but slightly hit and miss reception. Just about got wifi in the apartment. We were near the road and relatively far from the pool but noise wasn't a problem. Mini market great for basics. Los cristianos only 5/10 mins in a cab, €7-10 euros. Book the airport transfer at the hotel, it's marginally cheaper. Staff all notably friendly and very helpful. Definitely would recommend.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Brussel
Reviewed June 5, 2014

We stayed 5 days at the end of May at Regency as a couple with a daughter of 2 and half years old. The place is very beautiful, starting from the check in at the reception with a welcome drink, the accomodation to our room and explanation in details of every angle of the apartment was great.
The apartment had everything you would need plus a small attention of a sparkling wine.
one bedroom, one living room/kitchen and not one but two balconies, or better to say one balcony and a big terrace at the roof. Which to be honest we didn't really used cause we stayed most of the time in the pool.
The swimming pool is great, big, beautiful with warm water and they have a lot of toys and facilities for the children so you don't need to buy anything. Only thing I would recommend the hotel to change is to put some tree's in front of the swimming pool. this will not damage the vieuw as you don't really see anything special from there. this can help against the wind, as it was quite windy sometimes and it could get a bit cold. specially when there was no sun.There is a playground for children which is located a bit lower than the swimming pool and is surrounded by tree's and is really warm and hot in there. there is a small hut where you can have a massage which you can have without appointment if the peron available and that was amazing, really relaxing and not that expensive, 35 min for 35/euros; 1h for 55/euros.
the hotel is located a bit far from different centra's so it is better to have a car rented if you plan to go out quite often as we did. renting is not expensive at all, only 69 euros for 5 days with childseat included.
When going out the only place I would recommend to eat fresh fish is the Amina restorant in Vista Sur (shopping center/appartaments) only here we got really fresh fish gambas in other places in playa de las america the fish not fresh at all.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed May 29, 2014

Booked a holiday1 week stay was a adequate. The hotel was very nice shame about the weather at the time we went as it was a tad windy so we only used the pool once during our stay. On our arrival the room key supplied didn't work we had to walk back to the reception only for it not to work the second time round. It was around 2am it was all abit of a palarva lol the gentleman who assisted us however did his best to help is out and in the end we got offered a different room.

the gym needs updating but if your not a gym buff this wont bother you in yhe slightest.

I was really happy with the apartments it is clearly the hightlight of the hotel and should be lol the large terrace outside with wooden table and chairs / sun lounges were a treat! Two bathrooms two bedrooms fitted kitchen with everything you would possibly need to cook what ever you like.

very good hotel for familys I personally like the location as it is away from the main "strip". I fpund the food in tenerife wasn't great if your happy with the typical english grub you'll be fine. I was after more traditional food such as tapas.

Go karting is a must as it is the biggest track I have ever seen and also siam water park. I would actually go back to tenerife for a few days just for that water park. During the day if you smoke shisha magic is the place to go, it was the best shisha place I found out there. It is right next to hard rock hotel you cant miss it.

I would stay at this hotel again I enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank jaemessina
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chayofa
Gran Melia Palacio de Isora Resort & Spa
Vincci Seleccion La Plantacion del Sur
Hotel Botanico & The Oriental Spa Garden
Hotel Botanico & The Oriental Sp...
#2 of 80 in Puerto de la Cruz
Gran Oasis Resort
Gran Oasis Resort
#7 of 59 in Playa de las Americas
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,221 reviews

Been to Regency Country Club? Share your experiences!