“A hidden secret”

Murtada A.K. Trading
Ranked #2 of 3 things to do in Muttrah
More attraction details
Owner description: Murtada A.K. Trading is a gallery,in Muttrah souq in Al Noor Market, that comprises of the works of an Omani Artist namely Murtada Najwani. The gallery mainly consists of small sketches and calligraphy.
Reviewed December 27, 2013

A friend took me this hidden inside the Muttrah Souq. He is an incredibly talented Arabic caligrapher & artist. Incredibly friendly, I had gifts done for my friend that he did not mind doing. I had a necklace made with my name in arabic. Very special.

3  Thank mlletxchef

Reviewed December 20, 2013 via mobile

Murtada's shop is tucked away slightly off the main thoroughfare of the souk at a big circle tucked behind a T-shirt shop. I've been to the shop many times in the years I've resided in Oman. He's recently merged with the shop next door which is a textile shop. The shop has lamps and much of the usual knick knack style items available elsewhere. Murtada is the real reason to visit because he's a talented Arabic calligrapher who can make a souvenir with anything you want written on postcards, placards, made into necklaces, etc. There's a big variety of options. Jewelry will take a few days to make but is well worth the wait. Don't miss this shop it will be the highlight of your trip.

Reviewed October 13, 2013

On the recommendation of a friend, I visited this shop in search of some original art. I was not disappointed. From the friendly welcome and interesting conversation to the varied and unique pieces of art - it was all very special. Murtada took time to show us his various pieces of work and showed us some beautiful calligraphy, modestly explaining the details of his work. It was a fascinating and memorable experience. If you are planning a trip to the Souk, you must find this shop.

1  Thank ElsCJ
Reviewed September 10, 2013

He's a lovely guy, gave me loads of design options for an arabic calligraphy necklace and could have it done in 2 days!

See more reviews
Reviewed June 28, 2013

I always seek refuge in Murtada's shop when guiding friends and visitors to the old part of Muscat. Not only is he gracious, friendly, and welcoming, he is very knowledgeable about Omani history and culture and willing to take the time to talk to visitors, often offering tea and a story. For example, last time I was there, Murtada took the time to explain the "hand of Fatuma" ornament, spending about 40 minutes going back into the history of Islam. Of course he also offered us beautiful complimentary bookmarks with our names handcrafted in calligraphy. Visitors to the souk should stop at Murtada A. K. Trading for hand made jewelry, antiques, and unique artwork as well as a true Omani welcome!