“Extravaganza !!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Begum's

Begum's
Ranked #4 of 394 Restaurants in Muscat
Cuisines: Indian, Asian
Good for: Dining on a budget, Large groups, Special occasions, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Delivery, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: A cozy diner that is making an honest attempt at dishing out close to home cooked, recipes of traditional Mughlai delicacies. We have increased space at our Al Khuwair branch and we are very happy to welcome more foodies to dine in with us at begums. Check out our exciting array of additions to the menu. Our new outlet at Bowshar will be opening soon and till then we will only be able to offer limited take away and delivery services.
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Extravaganza !!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2014 via mobile

Amaaazing !! Excellent !! Classic !! Service , food , ambiance , hospitality...Lovely starters, tasty main course and Fantastic Biryani..Keep it up!! N all the Best.

1 Thank Kaushal V
Dear Guest,

Thanks for the feedback. It's a pleasure that you had an excellent meal with us.

We sincerely appreciate the pat on the back! Our focus is on bringing out delicious food from the kitchen and serve it with a smile.

Please do visit us again.

• Polish first
Muscat, Oman
“Best Indian Style Biryani ...Gravies all taste the same!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2014

The location is quite hidden , yet the place is almost full all the time ... its a bit tiny with 5 tables in the grounds floor and another five or 6 in the top floor.
Its clean and tidy and comfortable to be in. The staff are attentive and in nice uniforms.
The menus look very crafty and I loved the detailed explanation of the name and its Mugul origins.
I ordered Ghost Roganjosh at first as it is a traditional curry that I can judge Indian restaurants by , to my surprise it was a bit creamy which is not supposed to be ...I thought its the chef's way... not very usual ..the mutton was nicely cooked though and the tandoori breads were superb....influenced by my neighboring table , I ordered a chicken Biryani which to my happy surprise was the best I ever had in an Indian restaurant in Muscat since I came here in 2001.
The second time went with my GF , we tried the Dhal Makhni which didn't disappoint but the Chicken Cadday gravy was surprisingly identical to the Mutton Roganjosh !

The price is very good value for money though and I am happy to have discovered the place at last.

• Visited June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thanks for your feedback. We are pleased that you enjoy dinning at begum's.

Our motto is to use only fresh produce and bring out the unique flavours of Mughlai Cuisine. We are disappointed that our curries were not unique and you found them to be similar. We have now ensured that the recipe of Mutton Rogn Josh is tweaked to satisfy the customers palate.

Please try the same on your next visit and kindly let us know your feedback.

Muscat, Oman
“Gastronomical journey!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2014

This restaurant is tucked away in one corner of Al Khuwair in Muscat. I came across it quite by accident and as it was quite late in the afternoon and I was ravenous, I decided to give it a try... and I have been trying the food out here ever since!

The food is simply awesome! It is a mughlai specialty restaurant and their kebabs are phenomenal! The place is nice, spartan and clean. Service is good. The space is limited but is spread across two levels.

Over the weekends getting a table is extremely difficult. They do have takeaway and delivery but owing to the popularity and especially during weekends it will take time but having said that please note that the wait is most definitely worth it!
While dining in, takeaway or delivery do ask for specials and recommendations from the staff, the risk is definitely worth taking.

And did I mention how reasonable it is!

Visited June 2014
1 Thank Andyinoman
Dear Guest,

Thrilled at reading your review. On behalf of Team Begum's, I would like to thank you for putting in the good word. It is a great motivation for all of us.

We aim to keep up the quality of food and service and to reduce the waiting time we have started an outlet in Bowshar opposite Dolphin Village. This has small a seating area but will largely allow us to deliver food to a larger area across Muscat.

Look forward to seeing you soon at begum's.

Amit Malhotra
“Exquisite Indian Cusine in the heart of Arabia”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2014

Begum's is a small but particular Restaurant located in Muscat's loud financial district. It is run by three sibilings; all speaking perfect english. The staff are Kind and forfill every wish. The Food does take a while but it is worth the wait. I had one of the many Kebaps and it was the best dish I have ever eaten. The meat was spicy, well cooked and easy to chew. The Prices are a joke to what you are offered at Begum's. Begum's is a must-visit when visiting Oman and a promised fantastic Memory when back at home.

• Visited April 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Tilman B
amsme, Owner at Begum's, responded to this review, August 2, 2014
Dear Guest,

We are happy to receive your feedback. It's very heartening to know that you enjoyed your Indian culinary experience at begum's.

Our main focus is on bringing out the best dish for our guests and to do that it's crucial to make fresh food. Hence, we take a bit of time to prepare your food. We are constantly pushing ourselves to improve on this and surely you will see the difference on you next visit.

Thanks and regards,
Chennai (Madras), India
“Good restaurant ....”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2014

I went to this along with a group of friends , we booked our table a day in advance !!! Food was good , specially the fish kabab , we all simply loved it. Though staff were friendly but they still need to improve their service , especially waiting time ... We all waited for almost 40 min to get our soup and starters . It's a good restaurant if you like Indian food ...

• Visited April 2014
amsme, Owner at Begum's, responded to this review, August 2, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thanks for your feedback.

We are delighted that you loved the food and also disappointed that you had to wait too long for your soup and kebabs.

In our kitchen, all dishes are freshly prepared so as to bring out the best flavors of the ingredients and hence a slightly longer time to put the food on the table. Having said that, 40 mins is far too long and we would like to apologize for the delay.

Please do visit us again and we are sure you will find our service absolutely on the mark.