“Unwelcome Guest”

Ranked #9 of 52 Hotels in Muscat
Houston
“Unwelcome Guest”
Reviewed March 5, 2008

Great location. Good exercise facilities. Nice restaurants.
Problem was the bed bugs.
I took my bloody pillowcase to the front desk and told them to spray the room but nothing was done until I got my company involved. Then the manager gave me an identical room and one free meal (no alcohol). No upgrade, no complimentary lounge pass, no Hyatt points.
I wasn't trying to take advantage of the Hyatt but--to put this in perspective--my total bill for that trip was nearly $8000. I got the impression the Hyatt were not particularly sorry nor were they going to put themselves out for one unhappy guest.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — bloodsucking, disease-carrying vermin in the bed linen
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank Badlybalancedcomment

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (268)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Hampshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 19, 2008

We stayed at the Grand Hyatt for 12 nights in Feb. From the moment we arrived until the moment we left, everything was absolutely fantastic.

I'd been concerned beforehand about staying in a hotel due to all my dietary needs, but nothing was a problem here, in fact the opposite. I was made to feel that all my needs were being looked after - ate at Tuscany every night, and it was lovely. The breakfast buffet was great for my boyfriend, and I was given lots of different things that I could eat that weren't on the menu.

I was surprised to read some reviews about service in this hotel, as it's the total opposite to our experience.
I'd recommend the Grand Hyatt to all my friends and family, we had a sea view from our balcony over looking the pool and everything was perfect.

Fantastic and best hotel I've ever stayed in.

• Liked — The location, service that we received
  • Disliked — nothing.
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
London UK
Reviewed February 18, 2008

We choose grand hyatt over the chedi and Al Husn, for location to sights.

Great hotel - clean and friendly

Check in terrible, staff rude - room not ready and left to wait around for a couple of hours past check in time. No offer of refreshments.

Restaurants very expensive, especially with the taxes.

No cooked breakfast included if you have the club access and no credit.

Lounge is nice and its hilarous watching people pile on canapes as dinner.

Try some of the local restaurants nearby for good meals and better value - especially Mumtaz Mahal

Its a public beach so worth bearing in mind esp dress code on the beach - a lot of people did not observe this.

Omani people really friendly.

Would come back when hotels become more affordable.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Prices
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
5 Thank yadgiry
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed December 30, 2007

I stayed at the hotel on my recent trip to Oman. As I had enough Hyatt points I decided to convert them for free nights rather than paying the relatively steep price for the rooms.

It's been said before, but the hotel does remind me a bit of the Palace in Sun City, South Africa. The lobby is pretty grand and "bling", and the garden/pool area is very nice and pretty.

I had a club room but with no ocean view. It was unfortunately situated above the hotel entrance, which meant it was close to the hotel's disco. At night you could hear the loud music so I would recommend choosing a room away from this side.

The room is not especially large, but reasonable size. The bathroom is pretty nice, with a wood screen shielding the toilet area away from the bathtub and sinks. There is a screen covered window next to the tub, and when it is opened you can see the rest of the room while sitting in the tub.

The breakfast at the club lounge is OK. However there is an outdoor patio and it's nice to sit outside for your breakfast.

Dining options are a bit poor within the hotel. There is no restaurant serving "local" or regional food. The only way to sample some of this is via the buffet in the cafe.

• Liked — Nice outdoor garden and pool
  • Disliked — poor dining choices
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Peech
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 3, 2007

I stayed at the Grand Hyatt for just 2 nights with my family (wife + kids 9 and 6) and parents. This was a pre-Christmas treat during my parents visit to Dubai. We drove to Muscat from Dubai, which takes about 5 hours and is relatively easy.

We booked a suite for myself and my family, plus a standard room for my parents. The two rooms we were given were adjoining, which was an additional bonus. The rooms were very nice, and the suite in particular was huge. We requested additional beds for the children and these were provided.

Check in experience was fine, and service was always helpful - we used the valet parking regularly.

We were exploring Oman so did not spend much time in the hotel or use many of the facilities, but the breakfast buffet was good. We did have lunch when we arrived which was good but expensive (even by 5* hotel standards). We had a brief dip in the pool which was nice, but the pool did seem small for a hotel of this size (although perhaps many of the guests are business people so don't use it). There is also a nice warm jacuzzi tub near the pool.

I would recommend the GH if you want to splash out on a few days of luxury.

We also visited Muttrah souk, Nizwa and the Grand Mosque - all well worth seeing.

• Liked — Nice rooms
  • Disliked — Small pool
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank John J
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 29, 2007

The Hyatt in Muscat meets or exceeds expectations. Yes, the decor is a bit over the top, but the hotel is opulent. Excellent restaurants, great pool (terrific for kids), swim up pool bar, and terrific rooms. Complains would be that the beach isn't as clean as it should be! Also, this is NOT the authentic Omani experience. After sleeping in the desert, meeting and traveling with Omani people (some of the most friendly people anywhere), staying in the Hyatt may seem a bit too Western. Overall, fabulous stay.

• Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Londonboi
Old Basing
Reviewed November 23, 2007

We've just returned from 9 nights in the Grand Hyatt and had a fabulous time. Despite the hotel being full it didn't appear too busy and we had no problems finding beds around the pool or tables in the restaurants.
The service was excellent and we had no problems with checking in or out ( and I checked the bill very carefully!). The breakfast buffet had a great choice and overall the food was of a high standard. However the drinks are not cheap!!
I had read in previous reviews about the planes going over and yes they do but judging by the flight path they must go over all the other hotels along the beach too and they're really not that obtrusive.
This hotel has a truly Arabian nights flavour and we had a very laid back and relaxing time. Everyone we met in Oman were so friendly and hospitable and the climate in November is perfect.
I would certainly like to go back again!

Stayed November 2007