The Chedi Muscat – a GHM hotel
Dmas Hotel(Muscat Governorate)
Samara Hotel(Muscat)
Hotel Muscat(Muscat)
2,753 results
All reviewslong poolbeach restaurantserai poolserai roommain restaurantclub suitewater featuresfamily poolmacaroonsbeautiful hotelspa treatmentsmini barseafoodsun loungersbreakfast buffet isprivate beachsoft drinks
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 30, 2006

Spent 6 days at the Chedi and over all we found it excellent. The architecture is simply beautiful at least for those who like clear lines and lots of play with water and light and vistas. The food is terrific (I heard they will open an additional fish-restaurant in autumn) and I only can agree with some earlier poster - especially the patisserie is "to die for". The very large (yes, swimmming)pools are comfortable and relaxing. The Serail pool usually is very warm but the temperature seemed to change during our stay.

Our (superior) room was generally very nice, the service without fault (yes not every day at the same time, but how could they?) and the landscaping of the whole place is beautiful and enhanced by fire-urns and large candles in the evenings.

There are a few slight "problems" though: the rooms miss anything to hold used towels and although used towels are changed quite often you may "have" to use some twice. There are not comfortably enough sunchairs if the hotel is full and naturally the best positions are taken early. We always found one in the end but the main problem seemed that there is not enough shaded space, given the very strong sun. There are perfectly manicured lawns with lots of palms, but they are not really intended as grounds to place your chair in, although some people placed their towels under the palms and kept in the shade there. Also the "sun-sails" which are strung along the pools are not really fending off the sun and more decorative than useful (I got a sunburn on my first day and later on saw many poeple covering themselves with their towels against the sun although being under a sun-sail). The hotel should do something tp provide more shade.

As the hotel is situated near the airport planes are coming in right across the pool and there is noise also in the night, in rooms facing outwards also coming from the street running along the grounds. It did not very much disturb us but the hotel is not totally quiet.

There is a piano player and a jazz band at the pool restaurant Staurday and Sunday but there is no entertainment (which we did also not expect) also no beach or water activities. We had a car hired for the whole period thus we could drive around when we liked to but the heat kept us on the hotel grounds mostly.

• Stayed: April 2006
16  Thank kattinger
Reviewed April 22, 2006

We went to The Chedi last December for a chill out week and the hotel was fabulous. Everything about the hotel is great and we had a wonderful week. I would recommned the hotel unresetvedly if you want to chill out and relax.

Plus points are the rooms, the cleanliness, the restaurant, the pool, the Spa and the staff. It is worth paying for the upgrade to the Chedi rooms. The country is also very intereting and varied - it is worth hiring a driver and Land Cruiser for the day. The Omani Grand Canyon, the forts, the Wadis and a sample of village life are all worth seeing.

Other comments refer to the view from the beach. The beach is not as good as the beaches in the Caribbean but the rest of the hotel more than makes up for it.

12  Thank MillieWiltshire_UK
A TripAdvisor Member
Greenford Green, Middx
Reviewed April 19, 2006

All verbal reviews of this hotel were very positive so couldn't understand some of the negative comments I read. If hospitals in the UK were as clean as this hotel there would not be any problems. A wonderful place to relax and enjoy the sun in very pleasant surroundings. Yes there were some planes but certainly not the amount one reviewer suggested. We were there for 10 days and could easily have stayed another five. It's not cheap but neither are the Maldives (our usual destination) and it's closer and more convenient to get to. We met some very nice people there. The beach and sea are not great but the two pools and the well manicured lawns more than make up for it.

• Stayed: March 2006
12  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 17, 2006

We stayed at the Chedi for one week, they were full. The hotel ambiance and design would be hard to beat but the service was far too inconsistent to award a higher rating. By the end of the week we had learnt the tricks of getting good service, and when it was good it was very very good.

On arrival we were not offered any form of refreshment or cold towels which were supposed to be standard procedure. When we went to breakfast we had to guess how the whole process worked but by our second day the waiter knew how we wanted our coffee and cold milk, anticipating our need, but on the third day it was back to square one as he was off duty.

The making up of our room was a hit and miss affair, sometimes whilst at breakfast and other times not done until after 1 pm. It was always well serviced.

Yes! getting a sunbed had to be well timed, but we did witness towels being removed, by staff, and given to other guests, when beds had been "reserved" early in the morning and not used for at least two hours. We never had any problem getting water glasses refilled between 11 and 3.

The food was excellent, the pastry chef produces desserts to die for as well as wonderful chocolates. The arabian court meal was superb as was the accompanying mandolin music.

All in all we did have a very good holiday and would probably return, as we now know what to do!

• Stayed: April 2006
12  Thank mrscoml
Reviewed April 4, 2006

Where do I start?
We spent 6 nights at the Chedi in Feb to celebrate my Husbands 30th Birthday, it was amazing!
I work for a tour operator so deal with hotels everyday and have unfortunately become a self confessed hotel snob..!
The Chedi lived up to all my expectations and more. We had spent the week before in Dubai and after the construction, hussle and bussle, Muscat offered tranquility and a week of total relaxation.

After reading the reviews on Trip Advisor I was worried about a few aspects of the trip. Let me clarify a few points...

Yes, planes do fly overhead - but not many. If I hadn't heard these I think I would have lost total touch with reality. It didn't spoil the enjoyment of our holiday one little bit.

There were PLENTY of sun loungers whatever time we went out. We were there in half term and had no problem trying to find loungers or a day bed at anytime.

We stayed in a standard room and were very impressed. The rooms were more spacious than I was led to believe and it didn't bother us not having a bath.. the shower was SO nice!

We ate at the same main restauarant every night and I think I could have eaten there for a month and still found something different every night. The food was incredible and the service flawless which was reflected through the resort. Vikran was the best waiter ever and Roxanne on the reception desk of the restaurant was a delight to deal with.

The oil refinery was a speck in the distance and I wouldn't have even noticed it had I not read about it on this site. Yes the beaches are not powder white sand, but this is not what you go to the Middle East for! The pools are so fantastic, I wouldn't even worry about the beach.

If you have read negative reviews on this site, please don't worry about them.. I have come to realise that some people just cannot be pleased. This is a super stunning, cool, trendy hotel and is a must for anyone.

The prices at The Chedi are rapidly going up due to the popularity, so get in quick, you won't regret it!

24  Thank Rooby25