“Outstanding experience”

The Chedi Muscat – a GHM hotel
Ranked #4 of 61 Hotels in Muscat
Reviewed November 10, 2013

We have recently returned from a six night stay at the Chedi and it really is a great hotel. We chose the Chedi because we wanted to chill out and get away from big city life, and it was the perfect place for this. The facilities are all first class, the staff are very friendly and helpful, the food is amazing and varied and the location is handy for the airport and the main Muscat sites. It's not cheap but you shouldn't expect it to be and overall it is worth it. The Serai Pool and the section of beach in front of it are generally not as busy as the area around the infinity pool.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Chedimuscat, Manager at The Chedi Muscat – a GHM hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2013

Dear Hungry T,

So glad to hear that you had a great stay with us at The Chedi Muscat! We appreciate your feedback and are glad you enjoyed the facilities, food and of course it is great to hear that our Staff was very helpful and friendly. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Warm Regards,

Christoph K. Girsch

Write a ReviewReviews (2,610)

Reviewed November 9, 2013

The only positive thing I can say about this hotel is that it has lovely staff.

I just returned from a 3 days stay at the Chedi and let me say it was a terrible experience. So bad that I actually considered leaving.

Firstly the size and layout of the Serai room was inconvenient... Mainly because the toilet and shower were two separate tiny cubicles. Also considering the price on pays for the room the least they could do was put the sink toilet and shower into one room so a person does not have to shuffle between rooms while staying with other family member.

Secondly upon arrival the room was FILTHY. The toilet had clearly not been cleaned for ages as there was dust collecting on the floor and on the actual toilet seat. The shower had rust on it... Also they didn't have a tub or a handheld shower just a raindrop shower so for those that like handheld showers the Serai room is not for you.

The breakfast was mediocre.

The bed had a really odd smell not to mention it was tiny.

Room Tip: If you want a good room get upgraded I guess... But then you would be paying an obscene price. Bette...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family

Dear blackmamba1121,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review and sharing your experience with us, which we very much appreciate as it help us improve both our service and our product.

We truly apologize for any inconvenience that you have experienced during your stay at our hotel.

Our focus is on training with specific focus on pro-activeness and service oriented approach towards meeting and exceeding guest expectations.

On behalf of the team, I would once again like to apologize for the inconveniences and trust that you will give us the opportunity to reverse the poor impression of your last stay.

Kind regards,

Reviewed November 7, 2013

We have an apartment in Muscat and enjoy dining out. Our evening at The Chedi did not start too well with a rather frosty hostess at the restaurant/bar entrance. It was only 7pm and we wanted to dine but had not booked. If it had not have been for the sight of the pastry chef creating a culinary masterpiece in the distance, her attitude would have ensured a hasty retreat.
We were seated at the bar and enjoyed vodka martinis. Mine was a particularly unusual offering infused with star anise. (Highly recommended). We took the option of dining outside, as the temperature had dropped a little to enable us to do so. It was a big mistake as The Chedi, is exactly in the flight path to the airport not too far away.

The food and extensive wine list is beautiful, well presented and tasty, exactly as we expect for a 5 * hotel BUT very over priced..... Not VFM. And if you don't mind the aeroplanes....

The hotel is very clean, slick and contemporary. The Manager is very much in evidence, turning up, checking and over seeing all over the hotel. We obviously have not stayed in the hotel, although we had been on a few occasions for coffee. I would conclude that the standards of the rooms is high.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Chedimuscat, Manager at The Chedi Muscat – a GHM hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2013

Dear BongoElsbeth,

Thank you for having taken the time to review of your dinner with us on TripAdvisor.

We appreciate your comments, both positive and where we need to improve.

We have also noted your feedback regarding our food pricing. As an essential step to establishing menu prices in our restaurants, we conduct a competitive analysis with other luxury Hotels and Resorts, not only in Oman but in the region. Please rest assured that we continuously monitor our pricing strategy in order to provide good value for money.

I certainly hope that we can welcome you back at The Chedi Muscat.

best regards

Reviewed November 4, 2013

The best rated hotel in town. Best spot by the sea, personalised lounge music by the 103m outdoor pool, exceptional service, very creative food. 2 points must be taken care of: 1/for this kind of money you would expect buffalo mozarella in your tomate mozza starter; 2/ Partnership with Muscat Adventure is overated an very disapointing.

Room Tip: Get complementary treat and an room upgrade using your American Express Cenurion Card.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jean W

Dear Jean W,

We would like to thank you very much for your comment on Tripadvisor, regarding your recent stay at The Chedi Muscat!

Thank you very much for your constructive comments concerning the Mozzarella and the Tour Agent, i can assure you that we are already working on it.

Looking forward to welcoming you back to our beautiful resort.

best regards

Reviewed November 2, 2013

Having stayed in many hotels in Muscat, the Chedi probably ranks as the best Boutique hotel in town. Personalized service, good food, attentive and friendly staff. The grounds are well maintained and the Spa is simply fantastic.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Abu-Ashley
Chedimuscat, Manager at The Chedi Muscat – a GHM hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2013

Dear Abu-Ashley,

So glad to hear that you had a great stay with us at The Chedi Muscat! We appreciate your feedback and are glad you enjoyed the guest service, food and the Spa.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Warm Regards,

Reviewed November 2, 2013 via mobile

Had I paid the average rate for The Chedi I would be one angry person - but having paid something close to a third of ongoing rates I am only disappointed.

Nevertheless I cannot give anything above 3 stars to this property and I will be extremely picky with my review because when you pay this money you must expect perfection.

I was so excited to go to the famous Chedi Muscat and I thought it would also be professionally inspiring being myself an architect in the luxury hospitality business.

Wrong was I. The first appalling impression was indeed the first impression: entrance to the hotel.
I think a road like that could only lead to some Bedouin tent not one hotel that is bragged to be 6 stars.

Second impression was the reception. pointlessly confusing which of the two identical desks is reception and which one conciergerie. but the lobby is lovely and grande.

The third impression, another negative one, was the lighting throughout the resort. I arrived around 1am and let me say that whoever thought that would create a nice sense of intimacy was obviously wrong. First you can't enjoy the beauty of the grounds, secondly you risk breaking your neck at every step - especially if venturing down to the beach or around the long pool.

The Serai room was disappointing. Lots of space wasted and poorly studied. Why on earth would anyone want to enter a luxury hotel room through the bathroom??
No space to hang towels, having to enter the shower to run the water which will obviously be cold as soon as you open it, no closed area for clothes, standard art work.

I had a Serai pool/somehow-sea view room except I felt I was in a high security jail between the wooden blinds, the windows that don't open and on top of that another wooden grid on the outside of the window too. What else? Barbwire? High voltage?

Huge negative point: shortage of house keeping personnel resulting in very late service - I had to call them on three occasions, one day even had to call them twice - despite always being out of my room at 9am and hanging the "please make my room" sign. The following days I just hunted the house keeper around.

Complete inconsistency with coffee/tea not being refilled 3 days out of 6 although I was getting tons of soap, bath gel etc

The beach: soft white sand someone said? Lovely beach? Wonder where these people have travelled in their life.
The sand scorches your feet if you try to walk on it (no wonder there was a cheap moldy carpet leading to the water..they couldn't invest a whole 200omr on wood decking??!)

The sea? Why would you even build such a hotel on such a miserably average beach? You can find better looking sea even in the UK.
Oman has some truly stunning sea (go to Qantab beach) but not here.

Are you paying some $700 to enjoy a long pool that doesn't offer any shade or the Serai pool that you can't even see while on the chaise because of the bushes between you and the water?? Uhm ooookay! If that's your thing!

The food: breakfast has undoubtedly great variety and quality. Honestly the restaurant itself looks too much like an Italian designer boutique rather than somewhere you would enjoy great tasting food.

Room service: silly prices, tiny portions, average taste.

Serai pool restaurant: ok this is where I thought I would go to slap the chef, the food&bev manager and perhaps the GM too. It is a 5 star hotel with insane prices for food and not even an endless list. You would figure they know how to cook a seafood risotto?! No, of course not. I could go to Fridays if I wanted overcooked Italian food and at least I would pay 3omr not 20

Now I want to share the positive points - which are clearly very few and they are determining the above zero rating.

The staff is perfectly trained. Polite and attentive: the second day at breakfast I had double espresso and ashtray delivered without even uttering a word and I didn't even seem to recognize the guy who offered them to me.

The gardens: I think they used GPS to position the palm trees, it is impressive. Everything is super neat.

The pools: lovely, clean and comfy beddings all around.

The fountains.

That's pretty much it. The hotel completely lacks charm, uniqueness, research, innovation, design. It's just a grande white concrete block with pretty gardens, fountains and palm trees but with interiors that any Ikea designer could have come up with.

You want your jaw to hit the floor? Go to hotels like Mamounia in Morocco, Indigo Pearl in Thailand, Bulgari in Bali, W in Thailand just to name a few.

I wouldn't suggest it as a destination itself but only as "if you must".
I would suggest Al Bustan Ritz Carlton, it has a better beach, but the building is horrible, decoration antique and too far considering the terrible Omani traffic conditions.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank gmv80

Dear gmv80,

Thank you very much for your feedback, this will be of great help in resolving our shortcomings. I am nonetheless disappointed that your stay did not fully meet your expectations.

First and foremost I would like to apologize to you as it seems we have not lived up to your expectations and we have obviously not delivered to our best. The problems you experienced are certainly not the norm.

There is no excuse for not being able to deliver perfect standards. All I can say is that we are in the luxury hotel business and any areas that need refinement are in constant review as we too seek perfection in our delivery and please be assured of our untiring efforts to achieve this.

Whilst I appreciate my apologies and assurances are of little consequence in retrospect I hope they go some way to restoring your confidence in us.

Kind regards,

Reviewed November 1, 2013

My wife and I have been visiting The Chedi in Muscat many times in recent years. We are still enjoying it very much!

The pluses:
+ Great landscaping - large lawn, plentiful sun lies, privacy
+ Fantastic gym - the largest in Muscat, brand new equipment
+ Tasty food with a broad range of cuisines
+ European clientele - Frenchmen, Germans, Scandinavians, all well-behaved people
+ Good service, esp. for a Middle East hotel

The minuses:
- Rooms are clean, but relatively simple
- The hotel is well overpriced. A former sales manager of the hotel has a LinkedIn profile where she brags that The Chedi Muscat is the most profitable GHM hotel worldwide. You bet!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank CalFlyer
Chedimuscat, Manager at The Chedi Muscat – a GHM hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 2, 2013

Dear CalFlyer,

We always try to do our best to make sure our guests have the best experience while staying with us and we are delighted to read that you appreciated every moment of it.

We hope to have the pleasure of seeing you again soon.

Kindest Regards,