“Great Location”

InterContinental Hotel Muscat
Ranked #16 of 61 Hotels in Muscat
Reviewed May 10, 2014

Next to Al Shatti beach and restaurants. Save money by walking 2 minutes to the beach food establishments and coffee houses. Rooms are basic... a little outdated. Service is above average. Breakfast buffett is included and ok. Club members have access to lounge where they serve free alcoholic beverages and light snacks.

Room Tip: Ask for ocean views
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Oliver G, Manager at InterContinental Hotel Muscat, responded to this reviewResponded May 11, 2014

Dear igeum j,

thank you very much for your feedback on tripadvisor.

Especially you you mention that our service is above average makes me proud to work with my teams. The hotel has certainly its age, but our people can make the difference.

I sincerely hope to see you soon again.

Reviewed May 10, 2014 via mobile

This hotel is in desperate need for a refurb. Very old and tired. Rooms are a good size but again need updating. Facilities are ok and traders Vic restaurant was excellent. However the main restaurant was appalling with rude and incompetent service. Our order was mixed up and had to wait 20 minutes to have the right food with no apology. Staff were terrible quite frankly and wouldn't return to this hotel

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear SW44London,

thank you for your comments on tripadvisor.

Please accept my sincere apologies about the service experience you had in one of our restaurants. This certainly does not represent our usual high standards and I can assure you the your feedback gets shared with the respective team to improve for the future.

We are currently evaluating a renovation for 2014 and I sincerely hope that changes will gain your trust back.
Therefore I hope to see you in future again. Please let me know, if you plan another trip and contact me directly. My e-mail address is oliver.geyer@ihg.com.

Reviewed May 10, 2014

cons - too expensive for what you get. low ceilings. room was outdated and small-ish even for club floor. aircon was noisy. tub was rusty. some of the tvs in gym weren't working.
pros - staff were friendly. club lounge was nice. pool was quiet not too many kids. gym was large.
All the hotels in Muscat are expensive but this one did not offer value for money compated to others.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Jaiwana,

thank you for sharing your experience with us.

Please accept my deepest apologies for your experience. Our hotel has its age as being the first international luxury brand in Oman. Still that does not excuse some of the issues you describe and I can assure you that they will be tackled immediately.

On the other hand I am happy that you mention our people positive, since they can make the difference.

In case you plan to travel again to Oman I would appreciate, if you could consider the InterContinental Muscat again to show you that we can do better. Please contact me beforehand. My e-mail address is oliver.geyer@ihg.com.

I am looking forward to hear from you.

Reviewed May 6, 2014

We stayed in this hotel for a long weekend in April, 2013.
The hotel itself is a little dated. Rooms are nice but you can tell that it's an older hotel.
However, it was very clean.

The Club Room is good. Would recommend it.

The service from the staff is fantastic. I would especially like to mention the lady who worked in the club room on the weekend of April 24th-26th (I didn't catch her name). Also, on the front desk, Shankar was extremely helpful and friendly.

The location is good - next to the beach - but you must take a taxi or organized tour to see any of the tourist sites.

The morning breakfast on the bottom floor is very good. We really enjoyed it as there was quite a variety.

Overall, we would stay there again if we were to return to Muscat.

Room Tip: We had a 'mountain view' room and it was very quiet.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Italian-bird,

thank you very much for your positive feedback on tripadvisor.

Especially that you mention Shankar and my colleague in the Club Lounge makes me proud to work with them. I can assure you that both will be celebrated on a special occasion because of your feedback.

But the greatest compliment is that you would stay again at the InterContinental Muscat. I sincerely hope to see you soon again !

Reviewed May 5, 2014

Very well located hotel, Good for business trips. Breakfast has a wide selection. Rooms are spacious and beautifully designed. The hotel is a bit old but is definitely one of the best to visit once in Muscat for a stay. Staff were really professional and friendly.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business

Dear Mark M,

thank you very much for your fantastic feedback.

Our staff is committed to make the difference and to live up to our company promise to provide great hotels guests love.

We are all looking forward to welcoming you soon again.

Reviewed May 4, 2014

Great hotel. Rooms are excellent although the decor is a little outdated. The only con is the in-hotel restaurants. Since I had a late evening flight, I arrived at the hotel around 11pm and other than Traders Vic, there was nothing in close range of the hotel, which was a little disappointing.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business

Dear Hira_83,

thank you very much that you share your positive feedback on tripadvisor.

Actually we offer also food late at night in our Al Ghazal Pub, especially if you look for a quick bite.
Additionally room service is 24h available, but you are correct that we have quite a selection of restaurants around the hotel, but they all close at an earlier hour.

But since you were positive about your stay I sincerely hope to see you soon again.

Reviewed April 28, 2014

The hotel is quite outdated, the building from outside looks like is due for renovation. The gym has outdated equipment.
I called restaurant reservation to make a reservation in one of their restaurant, was on hold for 3mins listening to "we're the best hotel chain in the world", then a woman answered and said "oh, sorry this is hotel reservation, let me put you through restaurant reservation" then 2 mins later the phone just disconnects.
Only good thing about this hotel is the lap pool.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
Oliver G, Manager at InterContinental Hotel Muscat, responded to this reviewResponded May 4, 2014

Dear aramic86,

thank you very much for your feedback on tripadvisor.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the unacceptable issues you experienced. This definitely does not represent our values and high standard we are striving for. One of our key promise is to create hotels guests love. We clearly failed in your case.

Regarding In the gym we just received new spinning bikes and upgraded our cardio equipment. This process will continue in the future.

The hotel is a landmark within the community, but it looks in todays time misplaced in the very lively area we are in. Just imagine that the InterContinental was the first building along the whole beach and should display the long tradition of Portuguese forts in the country. This might explain it.

I sincerely hope that will still give us another chance in the future to show you that we can do better.