“Not five star”

InterContinental Hotel Muscat
Ranked #15 of 59 Hotels in Muscat
Reviewed March 24, 2014

The Muscat Intercontinental could be a great hotel. The location is fantastic and the large atrium reception on arrival is quite spectacular. Nevertheless car parking at the hotel is very difficult at present and there is a huge amount of construction work going on around the building.

The pool side changing rooms are very old and damp smelling, as is the plastic grass surrounding the lap pool. The service in the restaurants is hit & miss and the coffee by the pool is appalling ( about £3.20 for a small tea cup of froth).
Finally , many of the leisure club staff were miserable and sometimes to the point of being rude. Some training in customer service is needed for a few of them.

The hotel is getting tired and so it seems are some of the staff.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Judi O
Oliver G, Manager at InterContinental Hotel Muscat, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2014

Dear Judi O,

thank you very much for your valuable comments on tripadvisor.

Please accept my apologies for the inconveniences you experienced, especially with our staff.
I can assure you that this will get resolved quickly.

The parking directly at the hotel can be challenging, because it is unfortunately also used by the shopping center visitors next door. We identified the issue already and therefore we are currently looking into building a gate system, which will allow our guests a free of charge parking, but visitors of the neighborhood not.

The construction you mention next to the hotel is for a fantastic new Theater development connected directly to the Royal Opera House across the street. This will be another great facility for all visitors.

I sincerely hope that you will still give us another chance in future.

There are newer reviews for InterContinental Hotel Muscat

Reviewed March 24, 2014

We loved the Intercontinental. The design is perfect for the climate - shade and sun everywhere including over the lap pool, perfect for anyone who wants a proper swim. The Musandam Restaurant was excellent every time we ate there - breakfast, lunch and dinner. We loved our sea view room and felt the Club Lounge option gave good value for money. So nice to be in the town and on the beach.

Room Tip: Sea view, and think about the Club option.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank NightingaleYoga

Dear NightingaleYoga,

thank you so much for your positive feedback on tripadvisor.

Feedback like yours is motivating for our staff to continue striving to become every day better and to deliver the famous Omani hospitality.

I sincerely hope to see you soon again.

Reviewed March 22, 2014 via mobile

The Intercontinental hotel in Muscat is ideally located in a tourist area with restaurants within walking distance. However, the hotel is old and there is mold in the bedrooms. Even though you pay a 5 star price, breakfast is not included. The price you are quoted is not the actual price as there are taxes obviously not included, and you should have read the fine print. The pool area next to the beach is great for hanging out, but in general the feeling that we left with is disappointment.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
Oliver G, Manager at InterContinental Hotel Muscat, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2014

Dear Normsiev,

thank you very much for your feedback on tripadvisor.

I am disappointed to read that you left our hotel not satisfied. I can assure you that we do not intend to hide any costs. On all our official IHG sources we clearly state in our rate details that our quoted rates are excluding taxes and service charges. Further we do offer including and excluding breakfast offer for all our room types.

Nevertheless I hope we will be able to redeem ourselves and get the chance to serve you again. Please let me know in case you plan to travel again to Muscat. My e-mail address is oliver.geyer@ihg.com

Reviewed March 17, 2014

Currently lots of building work ongoing (which continue until 10pm), no chance of a good nights sleep if unfortunate enough to be put on that side of the building.
I used to stay here frequently as its seen as the best business choice in Muscat, but its generally run down now and needs a refresh.
Obviously they take a charge as a hold for the room upon check in. This is fine but I have had numerous accounts of them not releasing the hold amount after paying (resulting in a double charge) for well over two weeks. One instance where they credited less money than the hold (resulting in a further additional charge on top of having settled the room fee in full)

Generally just not worth the hassle of having to ring up your bank to ask what this amount outstanding is, then having the ring the hotel to ask them to remove, then wait while they chase their bank (if in fact they are doing this)

Pretty poor service, and I was never taken with the food - the breakfast buffett is amazingly expensive and often leftovers from the previous night, which I come to expect but shouldnt for how expensive it is!

I think the staff are trying their best, but the whole thing needs to be brought up to date and some processes (including the billing!) need complete overhaul

Enjoy!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Craig P
Oliver G, Manager at InterContinental Hotel Muscat, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2014

Dear Craig P,

thank you for your feedback on tripadvisor.

Please accept my apologies that we were not able to satisfy you during your recent stay. Especially the issues with the billing is not acceptable and I can assure you that we will discuss that internally to find solutions for the future.

Further I can assure you that all our products on the breakfast buffet are made daily fresh for our guests. We do not use any left overs as mentioned.

The city of Muscat is currently building a 500 seat Theater connected to the world known Royal Opera, which is just across the street. It can be expected that this will be another breathtaking building with excellent facilities. I certainly apologize for the inconveniences this caused to you, but unfortunately the working hours are not in our hands.

Since we still have plenty of other quiet options I hope you will give us another chance in future, since we were once your preferred destination. Please contact me directly if you plan your next visit. My e-mail address is oliver.geyer@ihg.com

I hope to hear from you soon.

Reviewed March 16, 2014

Most of the reviews on here are from business travellers, so here is a perspective from someone on holiday...

Arrived at the hotel at 4.30am. Check in was smooth but unfortunately we couldn't have the room as check in wasn't until 2pm.... It had been a looong day and so we made ourselves at home in the lobby. The staff kindly gave us the key to our room at 6am, possibly because they felt sorry for us! We were very very grateful! But we soon learned that this was just your average omani hospitality! Going that extra mile. The staff were always very friendly and helpful.

The lobby is lovely. There are 4 restaurants, we didn't get a chance to sample the cuisine here but they were recommended to us by locals as great places to eat.

The rooms are a little dated but our room was large and comfortable, even with three of us sharing the room. We had a balcony and a sea view. My only real complaint is the room smelled a little musky as did the bathroom.

This hotel has a lovely garden and beach. Great places to sit and relax.

It's in a great location, walk out of the main entrance and turn right, a 2 minute walk and you'll find a whole host of cafés and restaurants. I recommend manis for breakfast/brunch/lunch. Palmeera also had very tasty food but the portions are big!

The great mosque is 10/15min drive, as is the qurum shopping centre (there's a big carrefour supermarket here, sells everything!) The mutrah corniche and souk are a 15min drive in the opposite direction. The royal opera house is very close and there are restaurants here too but these are expensive. Recommend Fauchon. Bear in mind there's no public transport and so you have to take taxis everywhere, and they aren't cheap! Best thing to do is to hire a car. (If you hire a 4WD will make it easier for excursions/sight seeing outside of muscat)

Recommend:
Wadi Shab - 1.5-2hrs drive (take hiking boots and swimwear)
Turtle viewing at Ras Al Jinz
Dolphin watching at Marina Al Bhandar (Muscat)
Jabel Shams- the omani Grand Canyon - ~2hr drive

Really enjoyed our stay and would definitely stay here again next time. Good location, good hotel, but rooms/bathrooms just need updating a little.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends

Dear Flyingoaktree,

thank you so much for your very positive feedback.

I am so happy that you were able to experience the great Omani hospitality. Together with our location, which is fantastic it provides everything you need for a relaxing experience in the center of Muscat and middle of Oman.

I really hope to see you soon again, since there is much more to explore.

Reviewed March 16, 2014

When you arrive in the parking, the hotel look old but when you arrive inside, it is beautiful.
And when you go outside, it is merveillous. Two swinning pools. One for the plaisure and sun bath and the other to really swin. It is a long one and you can do training if you want. I do not forget the long beach in front of the hotel and the wonderful garden.
Inside, it is clean and beautiful. The room are very clean and well equipped. The service is perfect.
The breakfast is wonderful, nothing to say except very good.
The lounge is very good. Food is good and atmosphere is cosy.
The restaurants are all perfect.

Room Tip: All in front of the sea
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Oliver G, Manager at InterContinental Hotel Muscat, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2014

Dear Michel A,

thank you so much for your great feedback on tripadvisor.

I am very happy to read that you enjoyed your stay in all aspects. Therefore I sincerely hope to see you soon again at our wonderful place.

Reviewed March 16, 2014 via mobile

The staff is lovely, across the board... But there are some serious mold issues here that they have ignored. We had requested a fridge for our room, when someone came to assist, they instead cleaned out the minibar for us to use. Shock discovery, caked in mold,
Everywhere!!... Then,the hotel manager oversaw them bringing another, along with the head
Of housekeeping... It also, had mold all inside/on all trays/seams...

Stayed: March 2014

Dear sarakkd,

thank you for your feedback on tripadvisor.

Please accept my sincere apologies for your experience, which certainly does not represent the usual high standards from InterContinental you can expect. This is unacceptable and we have taken internal measurements to prevent this happening again.

I still hope we will get the chance to see you again. In case you are planning to come, please contact me beforehand and I will make sure that you will have a much better experience next time. My e-mail address is oliver.geyer@ihg.com. I am looking forward to hear from you.