“Does the basics well”

Ranked #15 of 56 Hotels in Muscat
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Does the basics well”
Reviewed December 13, 2013

The hotel certainly seems grand once you enter and you will think you are in for a treat. Check-in at reception was hassle free and prompt which added to the good vibes. Unfortunately, the rest of the stay rarely meets the standards set by the first impression. Make no mistake, this isn't a bad hotel by any means - it does the basics well, it just seemed to fall short on the little bit extra needed to make me class this as a memorable stay.

Positives:
- Quick check-in and check-out
- Locality to restaurants etc within short walking distance
- Reasonable level of service
- Room service menu was extensive and food was delivered extremely fast.

Negatives:
- Concierge took about 30mins to send up my bag after check-in, and this was only after I called to remind them
- Bathroom is straight from a 1970's time capsule; showerhead is fixed to the wall and works great if you are under 5"6, otherwise you have to duck underneath. Also, bottle opener and corkscrew nailed to the bathroom wall? (granted, for those favouring a retro experience, this is a positive)
- A but more diligence from housekeeping would have been appreciated. It was clear the vacuuming was not extensive and some towels provided were stained.

Room Tip: For light sleepers, avoid rooms on low floors which face the lobby/driveway. More often than not, yo...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Oliver G, Manager at InterContinental Hotel Muscat, responded to this review, December 23, 2013
Dear imrancid,

thank you very much for your detailed valuable feedback.

Comments like yours helps us to become better in future. Please accept my apologies for the inconveniences you experienced and I can assure you that we immediately started working on them.

I sincerely hope to see you again to show you that we can do better than only the basics.
Please let me know, in case you plan another trip to Muscat and contact me directly oliver.geyer@ihg.com.

Resident Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (272)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Nicosia, Nicosia, Cyprus
Reviewed December 8, 2013

We have been to Oman quite a few times and despite our promises to try a new hotel, we always return to the Intercon. The gardens are magnificent and you can walk directly onto the beach from them. There's green everywhere and a huge range of birds, that have a knack of stealing your food during breakfast. The rooms are lovely and the staff is brilliant! I really can't wait to go back!!

Room Tip: Ask for the sea view room, it's worth it!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Emily L
Oliver G, Manager at InterContinental Hotel Muscat, responded to this review, December 13, 2013
Dear Emily L,

thank you for your fantastic review and that you plan ti return.

Especially that you mention positive our staff makes me proud. I can assure you that I will share your feedback with the team.

See you hopefully soon again.

Milan, Italy
Reviewed December 3, 2013

The room n°436 is really poor and old. The floor is still with moquette that is dirty. The bath is broken (see pictures downloded). This was the second room we changed. Before we were at room n.329 which was even more ugly. The rooms are comparable to a 2 star while we paid a lot because is classified 5-star. The hotel is more than 35 years old. The only good thing is the large lobby and the great breakfast but it costs 35 € per person.

Dear marco s,

thank you very much for your candid feedback.

I am sincerely disappointed about your experience and please accept my apologies. Yes, the hotel is surely aged, but this does not rectify the experience you made, since we have an excessive maintenance programme to upkeep the hotel at the standard you can expect. We failed obviously in your case and I can assure you that we take your feedback serious to improve.

In case you are travelling again to Muscat I would like to offer you to contact me to regain your trust and make everything possible to redeem ourselves. Please contact me through my e-mail oliver.geyer@ihg.com .

Salisbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 2, 2013

The Hotel has very impressive gardens with easy access to the beach, the pool area is just beautiful. Room was modern, clean, great air con, quiet and well serviced (only negative was the 'view' and 'balcony' ). The breakfast buffet had a vast selection of choices (service was rather hit and miss and not of the same high standard as for example the pool side which was 100% )

Dear Kor S,

thank you so much for your positive feedback.

Actually you can book your room with a specific view, either sea view or mountain view.
I apologize for the inconsistency you experienced in our Musandam Cafe during breakfast and I can assure you that this will be addressed.

I hope we will see you soon again,

Moscow
Reviewed November 29, 2013 via mobile

The hotel facilities are pretty old and poor. Some plugd, bed lamps did not work at all. I found many ectra things belonging to previous guests which means nobody cleans the rooms carefully. The water presure is low. The whole building is nice.
What I loved the most is location : 5 minutes by foot to Opera Theatre and 5 minutes to the huge restaurant court with edible food and drinks.
Endless beach is very close.
Do not book sea-view rooms - no real view and hard noise from ventilation systems beneath...

Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Dear poleff,

thank you for your feedback on tripadvisor.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the issues you faced during your recent stay. This does certainly not represent the standard you can expect and I can assure that this gets seriously addressed and worked on.

Nevertheless I hope we will get another chance from you to redeem ourselves to show you that we can do much better.

Please contact me directly in case you plan to come back. My e-mail address is oliver.geyer@ihg.com .

Rome, Italy
Reviewed November 24, 2013

We stayed here for three nights (before staying at The Chedi in Muscat for another three nights) and thoroughly enjoyed our stay, especially thanks to all the wonderful staff.

Even though the hotel is getting somewhat dated, it is very well maintained and therefore in very good condition with everything functioning well.

We had a Club room, which gives access to the Club lounge as well, which is definitely worth the extra price if you spend quite a bit of the time in and around the hotel itself during he daytime.

Our room had a nice sea view (from fifth floor) and was very well insulated, so no noise from corridors or neighboring rooms. The bed was of a very good quality allowing a very comfortable sleep (selection of different types of pillows available as well).

The hotel gym is very clean and large and has a very good selection of latest gym equipment, which probably is also why the gym appears to have many external gym members. It was never too busy though.

Breakfast was of a very good quality with a wide variety of western as well as well as oriental items.

The best thing about the hotel though is the staff: always very friendly, professional, fast when required, and flexible to adjust to customer's wishes. Exemplary!

We would certainly consider staying here again.

Room Tip: A Club room is definitely worth the extra cost if you can get it for a reasonable price.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Oliver G, Manager at InterContinental Hotel Muscat, responded to this review, November 29, 2013
Dear peri&rini,

thank you so much for your fantastic review.

Especially your comments about our staff makes me proud to work with them. I will be a great honor to forward these comments. Feedback like yours is a great motivator for our people to strive everyday for the best possible service.

I hope to see you soon again in Muscat.

Reviewed November 23, 2013 via mobile

Close to many city attractions. Nice food, you can meet local friendly people. Few meters from beautiful sandy beach. Great outdoor swimming pool with nice palm trees garden. Muscat Intercon has prestigious loby with free internet access

Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Oliver G, Manager at InterContinental Hotel Muscat, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Dear Tripadvisor Member,

thank you very much for your comments.

Actually in a few words you nicely summarized our key features.

I sincerely hope you will visit us soon again.