“Good service and hospitality”

InterContinental Hotel Muscat
Ranked #15 of 56 Hotels in Muscat
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Good service and hospitality”
Reviewed April 26, 2013

It was my first time in Oman, so it was a nice first impression to experience warm hospitality from the staff. Hotel is a bit dated in decor and some things need up-keeping, but the stay was pleasant enough. Location is good too, and near to the beach.

We had a function there one evening and the staff was responsive and accommodating. No complaints there!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank SAAzli
Oliver G, Manager at InterContinental Hotel Muscat, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Dear SAAzli,

I really appreciate your feedback on tripadvisor, especially since you attended an inhouse function, which gives you a wide perspective on our services. Thank you !

The Omani hospitality is something special and can not be found somewhere else.
Reserved, but very cordially and honest.

We are looking forward to welcome you soon again.

Resident Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (271)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed April 24, 2013

Our stay was nice enough, but only the location and lovely gardens were particularly special. Our room was generic in the extreme with decor circa 1980. The huge atrium is rather foreboding, although it is nicer inside than outside.
We arrived very early and were pleased that a room was made available. Actually it was a disabled room which seemed to be quite well appointed, but lacked some basics, like a shelf in the bathroom.
It is hard to say what was wrong or missing in this hotel. Maybe it is the austere design but somehow, it just wasn't a memorable 5 star experience.

Room Tip: Sea view rooms are the best. Not all mountain view rooms can actually see the mount
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Ali-from-Hobart,

thank you very much for taking the time to write about your stay at the InterContinental Muscat.

You are right that definitely our wide gardens and recreation area, with its facilities is one of our assets besides the location. With the inside decoration we try to transport the rich Omani traditions and heritage, which might not fit to the outside appearance but does have a surprising affect when you enter the hotel.

I still hope we will see you again.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Spent a most enjoyable ten days at this centrally located hotel,with easy access to the beach.
Don't be put off by the building the rooms,amenities,restaurants and friendly staff more than
make up for the austere façade.the extensive gardens are a haven which are compelimented
by the pools.We will be going back.

Room Tip: sea facing higher up
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank ian w
Dear ian w,

thank you very much for sharing your experiences on tripadvisor.

I really appreciate that you recommend our hotel and that you would return. The building was the first one in this area ( great picture at our concierge desk ). I guess if the developer would have known that all new buildings are white today they would have done the same with the hotel.
But we are proud that we are since 36 years successfully as InterContinental hotel a landmark within the community.

I hope to see you soon again.

Cairo, Egypt
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Have stayed there for a couple of nights and was truly impressed. The Omani people are also admittedly very calm, pleasant and polite humans. The Hotel location and overall settings are truly enchanting. Though I was there on business, I would have loved to have my wife with me, who would have surely not been bored, given that it is on the beach front and offers and few great boutiques with plenty of local art-crafts as well as souvenirs. It is not centrally located, but well worth the short drive into town, given that the city hardly ever has traffic jams. The hotel rooms are very large, the showers and bathrooms are impressive and well beyond traditional sizes as well as features. The hotel offers several venues for very good food. I tried the Italian restaurant and asked to meet with the Italian Chef who was charming making all the difference in the quality of genuine Italian food served.
Would recommend to anyone for either business or pleasure and would stay there again whenever in Muscat.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank SHA12311
Dear Sherif A,

thank you very much for your great feedback on tripadvisor.

I am very happy to read that we were able to satisfy your needs throughout your stay. I really hope we will have the chance to welcome to soon back at the InterContinental Muscat, but this time with your wife.

Reviewed April 19, 2013

I never seen a worse hotel which smells humid and rooms are so old and need renovation waist of money for sure I would stay in a new 2 star hotel I'm sure way much better than this very bad reputation for an intercon hotel I wounder what is the ministry of tourism is doing in this country

• Stayed April 2013
Oliver G, Manager at InterContinental Hotel Muscat, responded to this review, April 21, 2013
Dear Almimari,

thank you very much for your honest feedback.

I am very disappointed that we were not able at all to show you that we have also very positive sides of our hotel, like our wide selection of great restaurants, our beautiful gardens and recreation area. The hotel was the first international hotel in Oman and has always been under the InterContinental flag since the opening in 1977. The age of the hotel brings along some challenges, but we are always striving to compensate this with the unique Omani hospitality, which you can find in our hotel maybe more than in others, due to the tradition we represent.

I would be pleased, if you could contact me in case you plan to return to Muscat, to show you that we can do better. I could also keep you updated on our process to continuously improve the product.
My e-mail address is oliver.geyer@ihg.com.

Sohar, Oman
Reviewed April 13, 2013

Love the location but the rooms need some renovation looking at the price they ask for it. The restaurants are good and the swimming pools are nice but they charge you to much. The reception is basic but also not what you expect from a 5* hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Oliver G, Manager at InterContinental Hotel Muscat, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Dear Seeandenjoy,

thank you very much for sharing your experience on tripadvisor.

I can assure you that we actually look into a renovation at the moment. But nevertheless we work hard to keep the hotel up to date and to deliver the service you can expect. Therefore I am a bit disappointed to read that you were not happy with the service at our reception. I would appreciate if you could contact me directly to discuss that in more detail.
My e-mail address is oliver.geyer@ihg.com.

I am looking forward to hear from you.

Manchester
Reviewed April 8, 2013

This is a traditional old school InterContinental and is about the most ugly building on the exterior as your likely to see anywhere.. I am sure Prince Charles (who visited recently) would not be impressed!! Internally the hotel has a completely different and rather old school splendour about it. I have visited this hotel many times since mid 2010, most of the staff regard me as a long staying guest but I stay here as my hotel of choice in Muscat for periods of up to 5 weeks at a time, several times a year. In general the staff here are very good some are exceptional, especially in the Club Lounge. Alicia runs a very tight ship A new management regime (New GM) is having an effect on weaknesses around the hotel, and there are some great ideas in the pipeline. But the old girl is looking tired, water pipes are creaking, there are never enough electrical sockets (that work). Air conditioning in most rooms I have stayed in just doesn't deliver. The internet access is just plane crazy, the worst in any hotel I have ever stayed in anywhere in the world. (and that's saying something) The senior management are committed to fixing it but it just seems to get worse. The staff in the Al Ghazal (Pub) are simply brilliant, warm friendly and talented with an ever watchful and vigilant Mr Ferguson at the helm it is a relaxing place to unwind and perhaps watch the footy. But the pub is dark, stale mostly freezing and in desperate need of a refurb, The recent addition of a small bar in the garden is a fantastic and welcome addition to the facilities and the quality of the food and the service in the Tomato (al fresco Italian by one of the two pools) has significantly increased of late too, with a new manager and enthusiastic staff there. nice job Iqbal, there are also a well liked mexican (Senior Picco's) and very popular Polynesian (Trader Vics) but I didn't visit on my last trip so wont comment here. A decision on the long term future of this hotel is pending and its clear that significant investment will not take place until that decision has been bottomed out. All told, the value for money for staying in this hotel is well below par at the moment against other hotels around the world, but quality hotels of any description that meet the needs of your typical businessmen here in muscat are limited. The market rate for the best the hotels here is still very expensive. but new builds and greater competition is looming which should bring a welcome challenge to costs. Most of the long staying staff do so because of its endearing charm and the quality of the staff here. However although I am a loyal person as a whole, I am now beginning to think about staying somewhere else!... so my fingers are crossed for a positive decision soon

Room Tip: Sea View Rooms tend to be noisy with events and guests in the garden taking place frequently. Lower...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank tonesontheroad
Oliver G, Manager at InterContinental Hotel Muscat, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Dear tonesontheroad,

thank you very much for your detailed comments on tripadvisor.

Especially your feedback, as regular guest of our hotel, is very important for us and I can assure you that we take this very serious, since we do want to loose your loyalty.

I know the internet issue is a substantial problem at the moment. We intend to increase our service offerings with the recent installation of our WiFi service, but we actually caused more complaints. We are working hard together with the different companies involved to solve these issues as fast as possible to live up to our InterContinental service promise. Coming week we will start as first step to change the location of the routers to improve the coverage, a new gateway will soon follow to increase the bandwidth.
I really hope to see you again and to show you that we will improve.

Nevertheless on the other hand I would like to thank you for all the nice words, especially that you mention Wayne will motivate him to continue his great work.Actually during the month of July, we will close the pub for a few weeks to lift up the whole ambiance and product.

Please let me know, if there is anything I can do for you.