“Need to have a renovation”

InterContinental Hotel Muscat
Ranked #12 of 52 Hotels in Muscat
Sohar, Oman
“Need to have a renovation”
Reviewed April 13, 2013

Love the location but the rooms need some renovation looking at the price they ask for it. The restaurants are good and the swimming pools are nice but they charge you to much. The reception is basic but also not what you expect from a 5* hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Oliver G, Manager at InterContinental Hotel Muscat, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Dear Seeandenjoy,

thank you very much for sharing your experience on tripadvisor.

I can assure you that we actually look into a renovation at the moment. But nevertheless we work hard to keep the hotel up to date and to deliver the service you can expect. Therefore I am a bit disappointed to read that you were not happy with the service at our reception. I would appreciate if you could contact me directly to discuss that in more detail.
My e-mail address is oliver.geyer@ihg.com.

I am looking forward to hear from you.

Resident Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (270)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Manchester
Reviewed April 8, 2013

This is a traditional old school InterContinental and is about the most ugly building on the exterior as your likely to see anywhere.. I am sure Prince Charles (who visited recently) would not be impressed!! Internally the hotel has a completely different and rather old school splendour about it. I have visited this hotel many times since mid 2010, most of the staff regard me as a long staying guest but I stay here as my hotel of choice in Muscat for periods of up to 5 weeks at a time, several times a year. In general the staff here are very good some are exceptional, especially in the Club Lounge. Alicia runs a very tight ship A new management regime (New GM) is having an effect on weaknesses around the hotel, and there are some great ideas in the pipeline. But the old girl is looking tired, water pipes are creaking, there are never enough electrical sockets (that work). Air conditioning in most rooms I have stayed in just doesn't deliver. The internet access is just plane crazy, the worst in any hotel I have ever stayed in anywhere in the world. (and that's saying something) The senior management are committed to fixing it but it just seems to get worse. The staff in the Al Ghazal (Pub) are simply brilliant, warm friendly and talented with an ever watchful and vigilant Mr Ferguson at the helm it is a relaxing place to unwind and perhaps watch the footy. But the pub is dark, stale mostly freezing and in desperate need of a refurb, The recent addition of a small bar in the garden is a fantastic and welcome addition to the facilities and the quality of the food and the service in the Tomato (al fresco Italian by one of the two pools) has significantly increased of late too, with a new manager and enthusiastic staff there. nice job Iqbal, there are also a well liked mexican (Senior Picco's) and very popular Polynesian (Trader Vics) but I didn't visit on my last trip so wont comment here. A decision on the long term future of this hotel is pending and its clear that significant investment will not take place until that decision has been bottomed out. All told, the value for money for staying in this hotel is well below par at the moment against other hotels around the world, but quality hotels of any description that meet the needs of your typical businessmen here in muscat are limited. The market rate for the best the hotels here is still very expensive. but new builds and greater competition is looming which should bring a welcome challenge to costs. Most of the long staying staff do so because of its endearing charm and the quality of the staff here. However although I am a loyal person as a whole, I am now beginning to think about staying somewhere else!... so my fingers are crossed for a positive decision soon

Room Tip: Sea View Rooms tend to be noisy with events and guests in the garden taking place frequently. Lower...
1 Thank tonesontheroad
Oliver G, Manager at InterContinental Hotel Muscat, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Dear tonesontheroad,

thank you very much for your detailed comments on tripadvisor.

Especially your feedback, as regular guest of our hotel, is very important for us and I can assure you that we take this very serious, since we do want to loose your loyalty.

I know the internet issue is a substantial problem at the moment. We intend to increase our service offerings with the recent installation of our WiFi service, but we actually caused more complaints. We are working hard together with the different companies involved to solve these issues as fast as possible to live up to our InterContinental service promise. Coming week we will start as first step to change the location of the routers to improve the coverage, a new gateway will soon follow to increase the bandwidth.
I really hope to see you again and to show you that we will improve.

Nevertheless on the other hand I would like to thank you for all the nice words, especially that you mention Wayne will motivate him to continue his great work.Actually during the month of July, we will close the pub for a few weeks to lift up the whole ambiance and product.

Please let me know, if there is anything I can do for you.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed April 6, 2013

I remember when this hotel was brand new. It brought back many fond memories when I visited again after 30 years and stayed two nights. Although I was not with the person that I loved then, I was back in the hotel
The grounds are very well maintained, the pool is spectacular. The rooms were extremely clean and very well looked after.
I much preferred the breakfast in the downstairs restaurant to the one served in the club lounge as you could get proper bacon as opposed to the ghastly ersatz version served on the 4th floor.
The staff could not have been more friendly, or more helpful, they really did make my stay special.
I would recommend this hotel both to holidaymakers and to business people.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank TheRigrat
Dear TheRigrat,

thank you very much for your wonderful feedback.

I am very happy that we were able to bring your memories back alive. Especially that you mention positive our staff members makes me proud and I can assure you that I will share this feedback with my colleagues.
I hope we do not have to wait another 30 years to see you again at the InterContinental Muscat.

Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed April 2, 2013

On arrival at reception we were dealt with very promptly. We were even shown room types before making a decision to upgrade to a Club room, mountain side. Yes, the hotel is dated and would benefit from a re-vamp however the staff, food, beautiful well maintained gardens were very much appreciated. We found the people of Oman to be very friendly & accommodating.

Visit the Royal Opera House in the morning for a tour - beautiful building & gardens, only 5 min walk away.

Room Tip: Mountain side high up.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank amg888
Oliver G, Manager at InterContinental Hotel Muscat, responded to this review, April 6, 2013
Dear amg888,

tank you so much for your positive feedback.

You are right - we are not the newest hotel, but we work hard to compensate this with spirit and quality of service.
I hope to see soon again.

Surrey
Reviewed April 1, 2013

We have just returned after an 8 night stay at the Intercontinental hotel in Muscat. The setting of the hotel is beautiful and very convenient with nearby shops and restaurants. We thoroughly enjoyed our days at the hotel.

Our stay started off a bit unfortunate with having to move room twice in three days but it was dealt with very well by the front desk and the manager there who was very helpful. We found after the first night at the hotel that if you stay at the lower floors of the hotel and unfortunately above the bar that plays live music until the early hours of the morning 6 days of the week, you will not get much sleep. We were then moved to the 6th floor, the top floor of the hotel, and we had no problems with sleep after that.

At a social event in the garden of the hotel one evening we bumped into the general manager of the hotel, David Todd. He found out that we had had trouble with getting a room to suit and the following day phoned us up and was very helpful and very professional. He let us keep our room until 9pm on the day of our departure which was extremely helpful to us. Our flight did not depart until after midnight.

The service by the hotel staff was excellent and likewise so in the restaurants we tried out. But the service in the pool area was poor. It took ages to attract the attention of the waiters there so ordering a drink could be quite a task.That was a shame!

We tried out the Trader Vic's restaurant and the food was excellent and the views overlooking the sea from the balcony was wonderful. The breakfasts were equally good and had a terrific choice.

But the hotel building and the rooms feel a bit tired and worn and I think you would struggle to call it a 5 star hotel.

My husband is a Gold card holder of Priority Club and we were a bit surprised that we did not qualify for a Club level room. We were informed by the front desk at the time of check-in that even if he had qualified we would have had to pay an extra room charge of approximately 45 Rial per night which sounded extortionate. Can this really be true??

There was a leak from the toilet bowl in our bathroom and although reported it was never fixed.

The hotel had a lot of events running while we were staying there, almost something going on every day with live music, like wedding receptions, oil company family day etc. The music from these events did feel intrusive at times when you just wanted to relax by the pool in peace or have a sleep at night.

Although the hotel has got a noise issue with the live music from the bar area and that travels up the entire hotel, we still had a great time with wonderful strolls along the beach outside the hotel and relaxing times by the lovely pool. We will definitely return and are already planning a return trip for later in the year. And the Intercontinental will be our choice again.

Room Tip: Book a room on the top floor away from the music from the bar and preferably with sea view.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank ramlosa
Dear Ramlosa,

thank you very much for your detailed positive and negative feedback.
That allows us to become better for the future.
It is absolutely right that especially during the winter months there are a lot of events going on on our premises, which is because this hotel, due to years of services is well integrated into the local society and offers for everybody a place to relax, but also celebrate, which sometimes is hard to combine.
Actually your Priority Club Gold Membership ( soon IHG Rewards Club ) gives you on availability an upgrade. It is very often challenging for us to have the availability at InterContinental Hotels, since we have also the Ambassador Members ( solely InterContinental Program ), where members have a guaranteed upgrade in their paid package. Your Priority Card gives you the benefits also in Crowne Plazas and Holiday Inns and therefore you find sometimes a miss-match of expectations.
Please accept my sincere apologies for the service failures we had. I am thankful that you give us the chance to fix that and show you on your next visit that we can do better.
I would appreciate if you contact me beforehand of your next stay.

Surrey, Uk
Reviewed March 30, 2013

I visited Muscat for business for 6 nights in March 2013and stayed at the Intercontinental. My two colleagues and I were given complimentary access to the Club lounge for the duration of our stay which was great. Between 6pm and 8pm they serve free drinks (including alcohol) and a selection of snacks. Although the Club Lounge itself is a little dull, this saves a lot of money if you are drinking. The wine is pretty much the cheapest that you wouldn't buy in the UK (J.P.Chenet) but hey, it's free for two hours so not too man complaints! The lounge would really benefit from having an outdoor area to take advantage of the warm evenings.

The hotel has a number of restaurants, of which we sampled several. All were very good quality and served great portions. Senor Picos (Mexican) was a wide selection of of the usual mexican food you'd expect (and some you wouldn't) with great margaritas - although they're £30 a jug. Live music made for a good atmosphere even though the restaurant was quiet. Trader Vic's is a Polynesian themed restaurant with an extensive menu. All of our meals were excellent and there is a choice of sitting inside or outdoors on the balcony overlooking the pool and beach.

We used the main restaurant for breakfast, where you can again sit outside in the hotel gardens. The usual buffet fare is available with a wide range on offer - not cheap though at RO14 each (£28!)

We found two other very good restaurants near to the hotel - the Italian' O Sole Mio' which is just at the end of the drive opposite the hotel - superb food, excellent service and very decent house wine at RO13 for a litre. There is apparently a very good bar upstairs but we didn't get a chance to sample that one. La Mer is a seafood restaurant about a 10 min walk from the hotel. 17 of us went on a tuesday night when they do a barbecue buffet of all sorts of meat and seafood plus a huge selection of hot and cold accompaniments, starters and sweets. Very reasonably priced and a really relaxed setting. Most of those in our party were locals and they were very pleased with the choice.

The hotel itself looks very dated from the outside but this is, in the main, decieving and something that they can't do a huge amount about. Inside, most facitlities are modern and spacious. The one thing the hotel lacks is decent balconies for the rooms. They are obviously not designed for guests to spend time sitting on them. They were very cramped, unlit and generally poorly decorated with peeling paint etc. The rooms are fairly spacious and comfortable although I did have one issue. I had two beds in my room and when I pulled back the duvet on the first night there were very dubious stains on the sheets. Needless to say I slept in the other bed (very comfortable) but left the other duvet turned down so the cleaning staff would be aware of the stains on the other bed. Sadly, they just remade that bed with the same stained sheets.

The bathroom could use some updating but certainly served the purpose.

The hotel has a great pool with loads of space and good restaurant next to it where we had lunch (Tomato). Again, portions were huge and food was good. The service around the pool is pretty non existent although there is a pool bar nearby. Beware though, its £5 for a very small coffee (RO2.5) which is a bit much!

There is also a seperate 25m pool and kids pool under shaded cover set within the gardens. Service wise, I found the staff very helpful. I had one issue when my room keycard would not work and I had to keep going back to reception 3 times to get it rekeyed, only for it to still not work when I reached my room. I was told someone would attend to let me in and 15 mins later I was still waiting. I called reception who said they would send someone staright away and 10 mins alter there was still no sihn. I went back to reception and spoke to the same assistant manageress who I'd spoken to before who said she had sent someone to 327 to let me in.....which would have been great except I was in 324...something she was aware of as she had looked up my details the first time she keyed my card.

The staff in the Al Ghazal pub could improve their customer service immensely. We stood at the bar waiting to be served whilst a couple of them chatted to each other and then when we eventually had to call out to get their attention he scowled and didn't say a word throughout the entire transaction.

Overall though, it was a very enjoyable stay and if I was in Muscat again I would definitely stay at the Intercontinental.

1 Thank twotarts
Oliver G, Manager at InterContinental Hotel Muscat, responded to this review, March 31, 2013
Dear twotarts,

thank you so much for your detailed feedback about your stay in Muscat.
Due to your feedback we will be able to further improve our services. Please accept also my apologies, especially for your issue with the key cards. Actually in March we changed our system to a new transponder system, which will give our guests more security and the cards are much more reliable.
You are absolutely right that the balconies could have been bigger, but on the other hand we offer a beautiful garden to relax and actually during the hot summer period we have even to lock the balconies, because of the high humidity.
I really hope to see you soon again.

Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 26, 2013

I arrived on the 8th March for a short business trip,my Boss had authorised this venue. First impressions with the enormous atrium where good. Reception was great, attentive upgraded me (at a cost) to Breakfast and free WiFi. So Far So Good. On entering the room I was greeted by what can only be described as a "Foosty" smell, the kind of smell that you get when you switch on underused Air Condiitoning, it never went. I opened the window every time I was in the room. I didn't complain as I suspected that every room would be the same. And I was right, when my colleagues arrived they complained about a similar smell. I was on the fourth floor with a view of the car park, but the advantage of an "Executive" breakfast lounge for my extra cash. We had a busy schedule so did'nt get to sample the outside until my last day. Trader Vics eatery was ok, service was good, food average to OK. Waiter/Waitress comprehension of English poor. Bare was ok, the whole place had an air of yesterday.

When I checked out that's when I got he reality check (shock) HOW MUCH? do I get shares in the place? you know how it goes. Taxi driver saw us coming with a Numpty sign on our heads and inflated his prices by 100%, we got out and used another cab.

Back to the Tulip Inn for me, not good value for money in my opinion, aspirations but not for me.

Room Tip: Don't bother go elsewhere
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Oliver G, Manager at InterContinental Hotel Muscat, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Dear Brian N,
thank you very much for your honest feedback on tripadvisor.
I very much appreciate that you mention positive aspects, but on the other hand you point out opportunities to become better. I can assure you that we will work on the air in the rooms, whereby you can certainly imagine that due to the high humidity and heat we are facing some challenges.
Regarding the price value - Muscat and Oman is certainly a high priced destination in general, especially if you compare it to the glittery hotel products you can get in Dubai for less money. But you get in Oman a raw and beautiful landscape and absolutely friendly hospitality from Omanis for their guests for your money.
I still hope you will come back and enjoy that time a bit more our extensive leisure facilities.
Please let me know, if you plan to come - oliver.geyer@ihg.com.