“Never again!”

Ranked #12 of 52 Hotels in Muscat
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Never again!”
Reviewed March 19, 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights in February 2013, I was due to stay for 7 but I had to check out after just 2 as my experience was horrendous. The hotel is old, tired, dated which is not represented in the price you pay. The management appear to be run by the staff below them and have no control over anything within the hotel. Generally the staff are rude and completely uninterested in your comfort and experience here.

Lets move on and talk about the Tomato restaurant. They claim it is an authentic Italian restaurant. I should have known by the name that it is not.

Overcooked octopus which was cold by the time it made it to the table, heavily burnt bread on the Bruschetta. After explaining my concerns to the waitress who couldn't have been less interested, she walked away to the kitchen and we never saw her again for the rest of the meal.
Main course did not improve with overcooked food and very poor service. When the waiter asked if the food was ok; I obviously explained our disappointment and the problems we had experienced with the food. The waiter looked at me with disgust that I had dared to say the food was not up to standard. I asked for the manager, he was very aggressive refusing to accept my concerns over the food. Several other tables in the restaurant also mentioned to the manager how poor the food was and he failed to acknowledge it. We were issued the full bill with no offer of discount or refund for the meals that were inedible.

So the next day I went to reception to cancel my remaining nights and check out. The staff at the front desk did not speak to me once, instead they sat whispering things to each other. I went to my room to pack and called reception to ask for the luggage trolley as I had quite a number of bags on this trip (i would usually just carry them myself) reception said they would send straight away. After a further 4 phone calls to reception and 40 minutes later I had to make two trips to reception myself with my bags.

They offered no assistance in getting me a taxi or with my bags out of the hotel. I felt very isolated and so unwelcome at this time.

Anyway enough of me moaning on. Take the risk if you want or check in to one of the newer much more accommodating hotels in the area for the same price, if not cheaper.

:-)

Room Tip: Do not stay here
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank 999ANT
Oliver G, Manager at InterContinental Hotel Muscat, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Dear 999ANT,
thank you very much for taking your precious time to share with us your unsatisfactory experience.
I am really disappointed, that we failed in several areas to live up to the service expectations.
Please accept my sincere apologies for all what has happened during your stay.
Actually the restaurant Tomato is one of the favorite restaurants of our guests, also due to our head chef Mario, who just started in February and came straight from Milano. I can assure you that with Mario, we will be able to deliver the authentic experience you rightfully expect.
On the other hand the behavior of our staff in both areas, restaurant and reception, is not acceptable and will be addressed right away.
Even that you mention "Never again!", in case you would give us the chance to redeem ourselves, please let me know to make sure you will have a great stay.
My e-mail address is oliver.geyer@ihg.com
Resident Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (270)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Muscat Governorate, Oman
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Conducted a launch event on 10th Mar'13. First of all, they asked for 100 % advance from a corporate company like ours. They made us pay the full amount even for the cocktail consumption and buffet even though we requested for paying the next day. We requested for few changes in the lighting for which they refused flatly. The worst thing is that on the day of the event, the food got over since our estimation was wrong. Then the hotel staff advised us to go to their Musandam cafe for the buffet served there. When we went there, the reception staff were very rude asking us to go to a corner where the tables were not cleaned and asked us to sit there and eat our food as if we are beggars and they are serving food on charity. We faced embarrasing situation in front of our principals from Korea. Will never conduct an event here; nor will I recommend this place for any event.

Dear danieldesmond,
thank you very much for your feedback.
I believe you are already in contact and will meet soon with Dorien, our Director of Sales & Marketing, to sort out the issues happening during your event.
Please let me know if there is anything I can to support you in future.
Doha, Qatar
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Oman is a great destination to combine business and pleasure. Beautiful scenery and very kind and polite people.I stayed for 3 nights on a business trip. The hotel has a very good location, very close to both the airport and the old town. Nice pool and beach. Rooms are decent ,a bit worn down,but a bit noisy. Internet is quite slow and unfortunately the business center is very unorganised. Three printers had no ink and no paper and it was impossible to find anyone to help!! I am sure one can expect more from the name "Intercontinental". Especially from a town where there are many 5 star hotels to choose from. Overall it was an ok experience but I think I will try an other hotel next time I'm in town.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Oliver G, Manager at InterContinental Hotel Muscat, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Dear Skysurferr,
thank you very much for your review on tripadvisor.
I would like to apologize for the inconveniences your experienced with our technologies within the hotel. I can assure you that this issues got addressed and we are working on the solutions.
I really hope you will consider our hotel another time, to show you that we can do better as you experienced. Please let me know, in case you plan your next trip to Muscat. My e-mail address is oliver.geyer@ihg.com.
Dubai
Reviewed March 15, 2013

I stayed at this property for 3 nights while on a business trip. I also used their banqueting facilities as I was leading a 3-day meeting there. I actually did not leave the hotel for 3 full days! I experienced their breakfast, lunch and dinner buffets + their banqueting coffee breaks. All were very good. The room was silent and comfortable. The staff were very helpful and polite. Idid not have the time to use their sports facilities or pools. I recommend this hotel for a business trip in Muscat.

Room Tip: Choose a sea-view, much nicer view and quieter.
Dear DubaiConsultant,
thank you so much for investing your valuable time for writing a review on tripadvisor.
Especially since you were leading a conference in our hotel and using all restaurant facilities, you are really able to evaluate our quality of service and product we deliver. Therefore I am proud to read your comments. I can assure you that these words gets shared with all respective departments within the hotel.
I really hope we will see you again at the InterContinental Muscat soon and than you will hopefully have also some time to use our great leisure facilities.
Wymondham, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 13, 2013

This is a very comfortable hotel, primarily for business users but still ideal for vacations, a short run from both the airport and Muscat city itself, but located on a quiet stretch of beach. The rooms are what you would expect from a hotel of this standard, there is a wide range of restaurants, so you don't need to leave the complex to eat if you don't want to and the leisure facilities are excellent. The best feature are the gardens and pools where there are almost limitless places to relax and stretch out in the sun without feeling crowded by other people. Only a few minutes walk from the hotel is an extensive choice of cafes, shops and restaurants which provide a cheaper eating alternative. Couldn't get a functioning minibar fridge for love nor money but that was the only complaint on the service side.

Room Tip: The sea-view rooms are probably worth paying extra for.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear PETER D,
thank you very much for sharing your positive feedback on tripadvisor.
You are absolutely right that our beautiful gardens are one of our unique advantages, especially combined with the great central location we are in.
I really hope to see you soon again and than I will make sure that your minibar will work.
Cabris, France
Reviewed March 10, 2013

We stayed in one of the club rooms overlooking the magnificents gardens, pools and sea. The room was good, good service, clean, the terrace had a lot of birds drops but the concert of the hundreds of birds in the evening was amazing, so I forgave them.
The only negative point was that the music in the pub was too much: thanks to the earsplugs we could get some sleep, the beds are very good. But it was more for a resort place that a hotel where people wants to get some rest.
Anyway I must give the maximum point to the Club Lounge. Very very good.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Oliver G, Manager at InterContinental Hotel Muscat, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Dear miavonredlich,
thank you very much for your positive review on tripadvisor.
I am very glad to read the you enjoyed your stay at the InterContinental Muscat. I can assure you that I will forward your compliments to my from the Club lounge.
Please let me know, if you plan another trip to Muscat.
Muscat, Oman
Reviewed March 4, 2013

We stayed here for 4 nights in March 2013 and had a great time. We booked a mountain view room, but were upgraded to sea view, albeit on the 1st floor. Great garden and swimming pools.
Good choice of restaurants, excellent breakfast. Next door shopping mall houses quite a number of restaurants, also on the seaside, which provide good food at more reasonable prices. As is the case with all accommodation in Oman, room rates are very high. This is not a budget destination.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Oliver G, Owner at InterContinental Hotel Muscat, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Dear Ronald D,
thank you very much for sharing your positive experiences with other travelers on tripadvisor.
The mix of leisure facilities ( like pools, tennis courts, huge garden ect ), location and restaurants choice is probably the best you can find in Muscat.
In really hope to see you soon again at the InterContinental Muscat.