“Not bad, but not 5 star”

InterContinental Hotel Muscat
Ranked #15 of 59 Hotels in Muscat
Reviewed February 16, 2013

I stayed here in January for the Muscat Marathon with my family. My wife and daughter's room had an issue with the shower, but this was fixed in short order, and afterwards, they received a follow up call from the front desk. My room was okay until the middle of the night. The Air Conditioning started making loud noises, and I eventually had to shut it off so I could sleep.

The hotel is nice, but dated in the rooms, as mentioned in other reviews. The wifi is just okay, shower pressure is good, gym facilities are nice, outside grounds and facilities are very nice, but parking areas seem insufficient. I didn't try the restaurant, but there is a small shopping mall less than 5 minutes walk where my family and I had dinner.

All in all, not a bad place to stay. Staff was friendly, but a little pricey. We would probably stay there again if we received a discounted rate, as we did for the race. The rooms are priced like a 5 star hotel, but some work needs to be done to get back to the 5 star status.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Oliver G, Manager at InterContinental Hotel Muscat, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2013

Dear Mark L,
thank you very much for your honest feedback.
I deeply apologize for the inconveniences you had especially at the start of your stay and I can assure you that this will not happen again.
I hope you will give us another chance to see the improvements, especially since you were satisfied with our staff. Please let me know, if you plan your next trip to Muscat. You can contact me under oliver.geyer@ihg.com.

There are newer reviews for InterContinental Hotel Muscat

Reviewed February 15, 2013

We had a very good stay at this hotel. We enjoyed 5 star service, good food and a comfortable room. The pool and surrounds desperately need updating. It's very pokey and old fashioned but that's our only complaint. Thank you, we enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Cat and Joe L,
thank you very much for sharing your positive feedback with other travelers.
I can assure you that we will take your comment about the pool and its equipment serious. You will see improvements on your next visit to the InterContinental Muscat.

Reviewed February 14, 2013

A large hotel conveniently located next to the beach and a shopping arcade. Access to the beach is gated and secure, once on the beach you can swim or go for a long walk. The hotel was built in the 1970's but has been continually updated, it has a modern feel to it, good rooms and if you get a north facing one, a great view out to sea from your balcony.

There are two large swimming pools, large gardens/grounds and a great gym. What i liked most was the proximity to a local shopping centre. I get bored of hotel food but within 5 minutes walk there is a choice of 7-8 comparitively cheap restaurants and numerous coffee shops.

Hotel service was excellent, courteous check in staff and the restaurants in the hotel offered great food but at a high price. $30 USD for breakfast is just too much so make sure you get a B and B rate or eat out.

To conclude, expensive but worth it.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business

Dear hotelguru85,
thank you so much for your great and absolute positive feedback. i am very proud to share your comments with the whole team, especially that you mention that the service is excellent.
I really hope to see you soon again !
With kind regards

Reviewed February 4, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for one week. This is a well established hotel by Muscat standards and hence its 60s/70s design. The rooms are not large but ok. beds and pillows are good. All rooms have a balcony but not large enough to sit out on. The lobby and public area generally are attractive.
The staff levels and service are great. There is a choice of restaurants the main restaurant is buffet styled and extensive and good value. there is an extensive a la carte, and room service menu is good.
If hiring a car at the airport ( recommended if you want to see the real Oman ) the hotel is not too easy to find. It is on the sea shore before you get into Muscat so that helps ( Pretty well everyone speaks English )
The grounds extend to 35 acres, tennis couts pools etc, plenty of room to find your own space and never crowded. The is largely a business hotel. The grounds run down to the sea.
Dress code here much stricter than UAE No shorts for men or short dresses for women inside or outside the hotel. There is a seperate lift to the pool area so that you avoid the foyer in swim gear. Anything goes in the grounds / pool area apart from total nudity!

Room Tip: Get a room on the Business floors (4 / 6 ) These have access to a business lounge with free food and...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank dunera
Oliver G, Manager at InterContinental Hotel Muscat, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2013

Dear dunera,
thank you very much for your positive feedback on tripadvisor.
I am very grateful that you mention our extensive outside recreation area, which is one of our biggest assets of the hotel. I really hope we will see you soon again at the InterContinental Muscat.

Reviewed February 4, 2013

I stayed here at the end of January 2013, while traveling on business. I checked in late at night and out again after breakfast. I stayed in a club room. The room was a decent size, clean and tidy. The bed was very comfortable, the hotel did however look a bit tired. breakfast in the Club lounge was good. The staff were very attentive. No complaints - would not hesitate to stay there again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

Dear Terry G,
thank you very much for your feedback on tripadvisor.
I hope you will have more time on your next visit to enjoy our beautiful gardens and outside areas, which allows you some relaxing time besides a demanding job.
See you soon again !

Reviewed February 1, 2013

We enjoyed our three night stay at this hotel and recommend it to others. However, we were disappointed in some aspects of the hotel. We decided to splurge on this trip and stay in a suite. We regret that decision because we do not feel that the suites at this hotel are worth the cost. We booked an executive suite at the rate of almost $600 US plus 17%tax per night. I spent a lot of time researching the hotels in Muscat and the cost of this hotel was comparable to other similar hotels in the area. The room we were initially brought to was disappointing in that it was very outdated and had a drab view of the parking lot. We had naively expected a sea view or somewhat luxurious room for the high cost of the room. I do have to mention that the room was HUGE and included a kitchen, so that aspect was nice. We called the hotel manager and explained our disappointment and he moved us to a suite with a sea view, so we were very thankful that he accommodated us. Since we are ambassador members, we were also given club access which includes breakfast, so that was a nice perk. The room we were moved to was very spacious and had a beautiful view, however, it was quite dated and in need of some repair (water stains, some chipping paint), but was relatively clean and very comfortable. We were very surprised that wireless Internet was not available in the rooms (it was free in the lobby, but our devices could not pick up a signal from our room). We were also surprised that the TV did not have pay movies, because that is almost standard in luxury hotels worldwide these days.

Why we liked this hotel:

Excellent guest service - every employee we interacted with was courteous and helpful
Sea view is lovely
Nice grounds - very sweet little playground for kids, several pools, etc.
Clean, open atrium lobby
Close proximity to quite a few casual restaurants (cafes, pizza, sandwiches, burgers, creeps, etc), so we could avoid eating at the ultra-expensive hotel restaurants.
Close proximity to very long walkable public beach
Nice (albeit expensive) breakfast

Things this hotel could improve/considerations for others:

Update room decor, repaint rooms! Change draperies (ours were very dusty!).
Update/improve kitchenette in suites (it was virtually useless for preparing food, but nice to have a fridge and microwave)
Fix balcony doors so they are not so difficult to open and close
Modernize IT - Provide in-room wireless Internet (shouldn't this be standard now?) and pay movies.
The view from non sea-view rooms on low floors is not so nice
Beach is public and not on hotel property, though it looks like it is on the pictures. Oman is a Muslim country, so sunbathing in bikinis on a public beach would be inappropriate.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family

Dear 28watts,
thank you very much for taking the time to share your experiences on tripadvisor.
I can assure you that we take your comments really serious, especially your feedback about our suites. I have also good news, regarding the wireless internet. We are actually just about to finalize this project to have 100% free of charge Wifi connection throughout the whole hotel.
On the other hand I am very happy to read, that you had also good experiences in our hotel, especially that you mention the interaction with our employees was always courteous and helpful.
I really hope we will get another chance and we will be able to show you some changes after your last visit.

Reviewed February 1, 2013

we stayed just one day there as it was merely a stop over.
The building looks like a multistorie parking lot...but to be honest the entrance and the lobby area looked really nice.
The reception staff... very busy running around and into the backroom as soon as you come closer to the desk.
Despite my priority club card there was no separate check in and the pre-booked room wasn' t available... after giving all credentials and filling paper we were just told to sit down while the attendant disappeared into the backroom again... never to come out again.
after some 30 mins and chasing the next clerk we were given the room key.
Although the Hotel was literally empty, we were given a room on the first floor which was integrally being occupied by the Omani Soccer natl team !!!
Every other room door open to display the chaos in it, loadly shouting people, Music to club levels and guys running around in the corridors in sports attire.
The room was dark, filthy and badly furnished, our room neighbours load and partying,
the bathroom in need of total restoration, the 5 star convenience stuff limited to 2 plastic cups
and the minibar was locked with a security plastic strap...hmmmmm.
The only useful thing; the extrabed for our child ( reserved beforehand ) was missing and required a return to the reception to specifically ask for it again.
They sent someone to bring a Baby folding bed...which was not only for sizes up to 6 mo, but
also full of P** and Pu** stains from all predecessors.
No sheets, no pillow with it... just a super dirty wool blanket the size of a stamp !!!
The pool area... covered with fake grass carpet, old stained sun beds and rubbish towels.
The pool atendand was sitting in the shade next to kids pool and upon me looking in his direction I was greeted with a " what do you want..?"

Need I still justify my disappointment ?

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Hotel Muscat, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2013

Dear okrased,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us. Please accept my sincere apology for the shortcomings you experienced during your stay and regret our hotel fell below your expectations in many aspects. We constantly strive to provide an environment of comfort and value to our guests, therefore, we are sincerely concerned when we fall short of your expectations. Rest assured, your input will be shared with our management team for the purpose of bringing improvement to these identified weakness and rectify any unsatisfactory experiences.

Again, thank you for staying with us and taking the time to give feedback.

Krysllin G.