“Would not recommend”

Ranked #13 of 27 Muscat B&B and Inns
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Would not recommend”
Reviewed December 19, 2012

Spent a night here in November.

Pros:
- Decent location
- Decent service from staff
- Average food

Cons:
- Worn out Hotel
- No hot water
- Water tap does not work properly
- Uncomfortable bed and linen
- There is a weird smell to the place
- Dodgy bar with side entrance in the basement

All in all I would not return to this hotel and I also would not recommend.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Nibal K
GRODept, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Al Madinah Holiday, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Dear MrTambourine,

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We do really appreciate our guests raising our attention to services for better experiences. This has been escalated to the executive committee and we ensure you that it shall be tackled in a proper manner.

Thank you and hope to see you again in the near future.

Guest Relations Department

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Bratislava, Slovakia
Reviewed December 14, 2012

I stayed in Al Madinah Holiday for more than a month, combining business and pleasure. It is a very clean and relatively quiet hotel with pleasant and friendly staff, large swimming pool and a well-equipped gym and sauna. Apart from the breakfast, which offers a great variety of dishes for everyone to choose from, the restaurant prepares freshly cooked lunch and dinner buffets. Indian meals prevail, followed by Arabic meat dishes (lamb, mutton...) but there is always at least one different option for those who are either vegetarians or prefer something 'less spicy and more European' (pasta, mashed potatoes, etc...) The food is delicious and if you are staying in the hotel for a bit longer, you should better be careful or you put on :) There is a very reliable and fast Internet connection in the hotel. You can get an Internet card from the reception and use it on your laptop or go to a small computer room near the reception, which also has a printer. In your room, there is large TV with a lot of channels to watch, a kettle and a hair dryer. Housekeeping works perfectly. If you do not want your room to be cleaned every single day, tell them. If you want them to clean your room at a certain hour or you want them to provide more tissues or soap, tell them. Communicate and things get done according to your wish at Al Madinah Holiday. The location of the hotel is poor as it is in the middle of an industrial Ghala area, surrounded by heavy trucks and machinery. It is a fact. You need a hired car or a taxi to get to places. A trip to e.g. Royal Opera House from the hotel is about 5 RO, to the Muttrah Souq about 10 RO. There are no shops or cafes in the walking distance. If you want to eat out, you have to go by car. BUT, the inconvenient location is reflected in the better price you pay. So, if you want to be somewhere close to the sea or shops, you will have to prepare yourself to pay double or more. It's a matter of choice. My overall impression of the hotel was very good and I would like to thank Mr. Weymes and his staff (Mary, Joan, Alsanair, Fahad, Moubarak and all others) for making my stay as pleasant as it was. Thank you! Best wishes, Andrea.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear Andria,

Thank you for sharing your experience. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to see you again in the very near future.

edinburgh,uk,scotland
Reviewed December 11, 2012

I was having my holiday in this hotel for four nights on 5th December onwards and was having an awesome experience in my life. This is my second visit to Oman as well as this hotel and I have that fulfilled feeling every time when I think about my stay. It has been so convenient and fast arranging my visit visas and I would like to give my special thanks to the hotel manager Mr Weymes.
All his staff was very friendly and helpful and the location is close to the Air Port as well. They have got a huge pool area and a tennis court also the breakfast has a collection of varieties of food which i have really enjoyed. Cleanliness was absolutely satisfied and the rooms are equipped with all the amenities what we really need.
i would recommend this hotel for everybody and it's a full of great team who enriched with hospitality,
i am looking forward visit Oman and stay in this hotel sooner!!!!!
Nadeeja

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Nadeeja,

Many thanks for you kind review; we are really pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you at Hotel AL Madinah Holiday in the very near future.

Chennai
Reviewed December 11, 2012

We stayed 2 nights. The check in was pleasant. The room is small and poorly laid out difficult to move around in. But the bathroom is luxurious with a full length tub in which I soaked away my travel weariness. They provided a large bottle of water complimentary on the first day but even after we repeatedly asked for it they did not provide it on the second or third day. When I went down to the pool for which you have to climb down two flights of stairs from the first floor, I was told it was closed. No explanations given. The gym, which guests can use free, is well equipped. Breakfast buffet is sumptuous with two Indian breakfast dishes. Staff in the coffee shop are rude and unhelpful. The bed was large but the spring mattress was saggy and not quite comfortable leaving me with aches and pains (which did not occur during my subsequent three lights at Dubai). Location is not for tourists and is in the middle of nowhere.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Docgautham,

Thank you for sharing your review. We apologize for any inconvenience that you may have faced during your stay with us. We have raised this to our executive committee for the proper actions to be taken care of. Hotel AL Madinah Holiday is a more of a business than a leisure hotel as it’s located in the industrial part (Ghala).
We are really hoping to see you in the very near future for a better fulfilling experience

Reviewed December 4, 2012

I too when booking via "Travel Bag" thought I was booking the Holiday Inn, and as I've worked in Oman numerous time over the last 15 years, I thought it was another HI..... wrong! It would seem that some one somewhere has got it wrong, this is NO Holiday Inn.
BUT.. and there is always a "BUT".... I am so happy it's NOT the Holiday Inn.
OK, this hotel is not in a tourist area, in fact it's in the middle of a industrial area, for me not a problem. I'm here this week for business.
If you want a tourist type hotel, then keep looking, this would not be for you, unless you don't mind a quiet, well kept, clean hotel with good food and great service.
I have stayed int he Muscat Holiday Inn, and various other 4 & 5 Star hotels... busy, noisy, way to many kids and families, staff busy beyond belief at times.... the result of all that is a less than perfect service.
This hotel.... yes it is busy.. but its well hidden, not on purpose, it is a business hotel, so most folk are up early have breakfast and out to work or they have only stayed for one or two nights.
I am surprised how quiet it is even in the middle of the day. A welcome relief for the busy tussle of Muscat city.
Room service.... for me a good sign is that housekeeping know your name, on my floor, my guy was slightly upset because I put a "do not disturb" sign on my door and was leaving the hotel for a meeting. He wanted to know if I needed the room cleaning... I told him all I needed was more coffee. I came back after my meeting.. you got it.. room cleaned, bed made, fresh towels.... and the same today.
I have to mention the food... breakfast is very good, but if you are not into into Indian food, there is a lot of it. There is the usual sausage, eggs, and a huge selection of fresh fruit and breads. Remember that Oman is a Muslim country and REAL bacon is not readily available, however you can get it for breakfast if you ask.
Restaurant service is good the staff are excellent.
Rooms clean and large, well furnished, with a great A/C unit.. (so many hotels have a little inadequate A/C system!)
Is the hotel old.. yes it is, no it is not "Modern" ,but as I said if you want something like the Intercontinental, then go there.
This is a surprising hotel, well run, good beds, good food and great staff.
I suggest that you book for no more than two night via a travel agent and then negotiate your rate to stay longer, you will get a better deal.
Location. 12 km from the airport and if you don't know Oman and hire a car, get a GOOD current map, or you will get lost. I know Oman, got a hire car and a map, and I still get not so much lost but re-routed and spending an extra 15 minutes getting where I want to go because I missed a turning.
I also suggest as internet has to be paid for you buy 24hr, you might consider it expensive but buying 12 hours works out even costlier!
For me this hotel ticks all the right boxes.... and once you have read this, find my other reviews of hotels.. (in particular a certain one in the UK)

Room Tip: I got a room on the third... no tall buildings in Oman.. so don't expect a penthouse room. I was...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Brich57
GRODept, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Al Madinah Holiday, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Dear Brich 57,

Thank you for sharing your wonderful comments for your recent stay with us at Hotel Al Madinah Holiday.

It brings us much joy to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with our services and staffs. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel in the near future.

Warm Regards,

Dubai, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed November 30, 2012

I am currently in the first hour of my stay at this hotel and have been forced to write a review because the manager on duty (Weymes Felthman) refuses to accommodate my request. I booked 2 nights at this hotel after purchasing a voucher and was assured I would stay in a room with 2 queen sized beds. However, after arriving at my room, two twin beds were there. After taking this issue to management and also showing a copy of the email from Mgr Weymes confirming two queen sized beds, the manager and staff told me that the twin sized beds are the only ones available in the hotel for two people. Since I'm traveling with another adult, I requested the queen sized beds because of this. Despite expressing my disappointment at being mislead to believe I would receive a queen beds room, and after making my booking based on the bed availability, Mr. Weymes Felthman still refuses to try to make amends - and even walked away from me while I was talking to him! I also have a booking for the sister hotel, Resort Ras Al Hadd, so I will certainly let the General Manager, Tarek Lotayef, know that this is the worst case of customer service and management that I have ever experienced. I will NEVER stay in these hotels again!!! Please be aware that twin beds are often called queen sized beds...to lure guests maybe????

Room Tip: Twin beds are called queen sized beds in double rooms!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Leesh P
GRODept, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Al Madinah Holiday, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Dear Leesh P,

Thank you for taking time to post your review. We have passed this onto our Management team and necessary actions have been taken care of. We hope that the alternative arrangements we had with our Sister property in Sur made up your trip a pleasant one.

Guest Relations Department

Travelers are raving about these Muscat hotels

Brasilia, DF
Reviewed October 19, 2012

All-in-all I had a pleasant stay at the Hotel.

Staff are always friendly and helpful.

One big bonus is the swimming pool, great size and normally not too busy...so you can swim freely.....if you enjoy exercise.

Room Tip: They have No Smoking Rooms......this is GREAT!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Steve D
GRODept, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Al Madinah Holiday, responded to this review, November 11, 2012
Dear MohammedMasumi009,

Thank you for choosing Hotel Muscat Holiday and for your time in sharing your experience with us. It is great to hear that you were impressed of our hotel’s location, staffs, and services.

We are definitely looking forward in welcoming you back at Hotel Muscat Holiday.

Kind regards,

Guest Relations Department
Also consider these accommodations in or near Muscat
Hormuz Grand Hotel, Muscat
The Chedi Muscat – a GHM hotel
Sheraton Oman Hotel
Sheraton Oman Hotel
#1 of 55 in Muscat

Been to Hotel Al Madinah Holiday? Share your experiences!