“This is NOT a typical Crowne Plaza”

Crowne Plaza Muscat
Ranked #6 of 52 Hotels in Muscat
Falls Church
“This is NOT a typical Crowne Plaza”
Reviewed November 22, 2013

I stayed here two times in the last month and had an exceptional experience. The setting is just beautiful, overlooking the sea on one side and the beautiful stucco homes of the city on the other. The rooms I was provided were very roomy and comfortable, although I know from friends that they have some smaller rooms in a section of the hotel that might not be as comfortable.

The staff couldn't have been nicer. From the moment we walked in,tired from the long flight, until we left on our way to Dubai, they were extremely friendly, remembering us from day to day and checking in to make sure our stay was going well.

The food was also exceptional from the very lavish breakfast buffet (sitting outside by the pool with a view of the sea was a perfect way to start each day) to the Friday night Seafood buffet--extraordinary! Even the burgers in the "Pub" were perfectly prepared.

This will definitely be my "go to" hotel when visiting Muscat in the future.

Room Tip: The rooms overlooking the sea are gorgeous. Rooms on the 2nd floor have a balcony but noticed that...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank HappyTravellersTw0
Adam B, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Muscat, responded to this review, November 24, 2013
It was a pleasure having you stay with us once again at Crowne Plaza Muscat and we thank you for taking the time to write such complimentary review about your recent stay and experience. It is Pleasing to know that you found the room to be comfortable, our staff friendly and our food and beverage to be exceptional.We strive to provide continuous and great experiences for our guests and we are happy to see it reflect in your experience.
We are very happy and thankful that you will continue to choose Crowne Plaza Muscat as your “go to” hotel and we certainly look forward to welcoming you back to Muscat and Crowne Plaza soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (421)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed November 22, 2013

Although a bit old, we were very satisfied. A small private beach was a plus. The room was spacious. The location very good, just a 5-minute drive to the centre of Muscat.the staff was courteous and helpful.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about Crowne Plaza Muscat on Trip advisor. I was happy to read of your satisfaction and that you found the staff to be courteous and helpful.
Thank you for choosing Crowne Plaza Muscat and we look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 20, 2013

Just one night at the Crowne Plaza but wish it was longer. Dubious start as my colleague had booked our rooms for the next night, incorrectly. Ashley, who checked us in, swiftly found us rooms with a minimum of fuss and cancelled the incorrect booking. The room really was excellent although I could not connect to the wifi and the Eames desk chair in my room was a cheap Chinese fake rather than an original from Vitra - surprising in a hotel of this quality. Bed and bathroom were excellent, important points for a one-night stay. The bar was good fun although full of tourists enjoying a loud quiz via a PA system - beware this if travelling on business. Ate at the Italian restaurant but had to persuade the staff to seat us at one of the many empty outdoor tables, they wanted us to sit inside and have a drink whilst they checked bookings.....at 2200 at night! Food was good but not great. Was able to check out in the exec. Lounge in the 6th floor the following morning, which was helpful. Will definitely return.

Room Tip: Worth upgrading to an exec. room........
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Adam B, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Muscat, responded to this review, November 23, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel on Trip advisor. I am very happy to know that our staff worked expeditiously to find you a room after the incorrect booking. However we do apologise for not being able to connect to the Wi-Fi and we look forward to welcoming you on your next visit.
Colchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 18, 2013

I always stay here when in Muscat - i prefer it to the Intercon and sitting on the cliff top it has better views in my opinion. The staff are very attentive and the food is good. Downside is the rooms are a little small and the bathrooms not big at all (but they do have decent lounging baths, so can't be all bad). The seafood buffets on a thursday/friday is especially good and recommended.

Room Tip: try and book a sea view room - the view is great.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank David S
Adam B, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Muscat, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
I was very delighted to read that you chose Crowne Plaza Muscat as your preferred hotel when you visit Muscat. It is certainly a pleasure to have you stay with us and we look forward to your continued patronage and welcoming you back to our hotel.
San Francisco
Reviewed November 17, 2013

This review is only for the Crowne Plaza Muscat's customer service.

My husband and I planned on spending two nights at the Crowne Plaza in October to celebrate a special occasion. The day before our arrival the hotel called my husband to inquire about our celebration and to ensure they had an appropriate surprise waiting for us. Unfortunately, I became ill that evening and was to sick to travel by the following morning. When my husband called to cancel our stay, we were not charged any cancellation fee or a one-night stay (which we were anticipating). The staff merely wished me a swift recovery and hoped that we would be able to stay with them in the future.

Overall, the staff went above and beyond what we were expecting! We will definitely stay here when we do finally make it to Muscat (which is tentatively planned for January 2014).

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NOnionsXPickles
Many thanks for taking the time to write a review on Trip advisor about our customer service. It was unfortunate that you got ill and had to cancel your trip to Muscat. However we certainly look forward to welcoming you and your husband to Muscat and Crowne Plaza in the New Year.
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 14, 2013 via mobile

I am a constant traveler, I have to travel a great deal for work. This was my fourth visit to Muscat and my first stay at my the Crown Plaza. I have stayed at many Crown Plaza hotels and can assure you that this one is a Crown Plaza in name only.

When booking I had booked a sea view room. On arriving at the hotel I was told that there were no sea view rooms available so would have to stay in a city view room. City view really means looking out over a car park. After seeing the room I decided to cancel my booking and move to another hotel. I really felt that paying over $300 per night to look at a car park was unreasonable. I was then informed that because the room had been prepaid I could not have my money refunded. If you are considering this hotel be aware the the hotel has a large number of "city view" rooms. The hotel also has two wings. An old wing and a new wing. The old wing is dark and dingy, unfortunately the new wing is not a great deal better. I had a number of other disappointing experiences during my stay.

I strongly recommend making another choice of hotel. Check out the Al Bustan Palace or the Shangri La. They are far superior to this very disappointing hotel.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Stephen G
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback on your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Muscat. I was very disappointed to read that our room did not meet your expectations and I sincerely apologise for the inconvenience caused by the unavailability of the sea view room. I will pass all of your comments onto management for careful consideration and review. Please do not hesitate to contact me on adam.beadon@ihg.com for any additional feedback or future assistance. I hope we have an opportunity to welcome you back.
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed November 13, 2013

Stayed there a in January. Had a great time there, service excellent, venue great. There's a nice Starbucks on the road leading up to this hotel as well. Good base to see Muscat and see the market (which is fab) - better than the souks in Dubai - more real. Having its own beach was a real plus - out kids 8 & 6 loved it. Safe environment.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Adam B, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Muscat, responded to this review, November 17, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel on Trip advisor. It was a pleasure to have you and your family stay with us here at Crowne Plaza Muscat and I was happy to read that you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.