“Very disappointed elite platinum member”

Crowne Plaza Muscat
Ranked #7 of 61 Hotels in Muscat
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Checked in for two nights with wife and two kids. Drove from Dubai to muscat for over five hours to get here. Booked family room under personal account. I am platinum elite amabassador and i got non of my benefits here. No breakfast, no room upgrade, nothing. I had to ask Front desk at time of check in as she had no idea about privileges. Did not feel like a platinum experience at all. Room is old, was not ready on time and tv was not working. Even though stay is for four people but allowance is set for two people such as shampoo, slippers etc. Its going to be long two days.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank Imran M
Adam B, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Muscat, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2013

Thank you for posting your comments during your stay with us. I am sorry we did not meet the service standards expected from our hotel, I did alert the relevant department to this in order for them to rectify which I trust they did. I hope that the rest of your stay was pleasant and that you return to stay with us in the near future.

Reviewed April 7, 2013

Stayed here for 4 nights this month, the hotel is decent and overall clean, but the whole hotel is in desperate need of renovation especially with the amazing location of this property and the fact that its beach front, from the tiny pool to the rooms. The service is just alright but the staff need further training, we had picked this hotel because we were looking for something with a fair price since we wouldn't be spending most of our time at the hotel. Just a place to sleep, keep our stuff, and have breakfast. The food isn't bad, many options at breakfast, nothing wrong with it just average, I would recommend this hotel if you're not going to spend most of your time there, like let's say a diving trip.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for your comments on TripAdvisor. I have shared your review with the management for review. There are currently there are plans to refurbish our bathrooms during the summer along with several other aspects on order to provide guests with an up to date product. I hope that we are able to welcome you back to our hotel very soon.

Reviewed April 7, 2013

Stayed here for 5 nights recently, and although the property is well situated, the rooms are in serious need of a makeover. The furniture is very outdated and the rooms are not very well appointed. For a room that costs almost $300 a night, the offering is probably on par with what you would expect in a Holiday Inn Express. The bathrooms were also very 80s looking, with green tiling and a sink made for kids; had to hunch over just to brush, but my 4 year old loved it :)

The staff were friendly and courteous and the checkin process was smooth. However, I feel as if I was short changed in this as well. I had booked an Executive room from the IHG website, but when checking in, I was told that I was getting the standard room. Then when the room invoice was given, it said Executive room, so I asked if this was the case. The gentleman, without looking at the sheet, said no sir, standard room. Then I said it says Executive here and that's what I had booked, the gentleman then looked on his PC for a few seconds before saying, ok Executive room it is, but no club room access.

As an Ambassador club member and a Gold Elite, upgrades are guaranteed (space permitting), and it seems as if there were empty sea-view rooms but we weren't offered an upgrade. The room we were initially offered had 2 single beds, but with young kids, we had requested a king. Had to call, and initially they offered to just join the beds together, but upon further insistence we were moved to another room.

The room was slightly better than the original with a very large king that allowed us to sleep well, but again, the general decor of the room left a lot to be desired for a 5-star property with a price tag to match.

At checkin, my kids were given 2 stuffed camels and that was a very nice gesture to us since they were entertained by the gift the whole stay. Kudos on that!

Breakfast was of expected quality and the service was fast and friendly all 5 days. The staff were attentive and seemed to appreciate the kids and make them feel more welcome. Again, kudos!

Overall, it was a decent 5 days, but nothing amazing or exceptional by any stretch. I hope upgrades are coming property wide because the location is amazing right on Qurum beach. It's a quiet area, and within 5-10 minutes of a lot of restaurants and a beautiful national park.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for posting your comments on TripAdvisor. I have passed on your comments to management for review and currently we are in the planning phase for some refurbishments in the hotel to ensure that we provide an up to date product along with exceptional service to all guests. I hope we are able to welcome you back to the Crowne Plaza Muscat in the future.

Reviewed April 7, 2013

View and coast. Food is very good. The bed was very comfortable. The gym is good. The staff were all good-looking people and pleasant. The morning breakfast was great. The pool bar was nice to order from. I would recommend to all people to eat a la carte there. Overall, I would recommend this hotel.

The Iranian and Italian restaurants were very expensive but with good service. The Duke's Bar was nice.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your kind comments on your recent stay with us. I am pleased to read that you had a pleasant stay with us during your business trip to Oman and hope we are able to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed April 6, 2013

We stayed three nights with a pool and sea view room , the room was small but had everything you needed. The balcony made up for the size of the room as you could watch the amazing sunsets. The food was nice we eat pool side the portions were Hugh and also tasty .We hired a car and went from the gold course to the dive center and all bits in between it was cheaper to hire the car than to get the open top bus , The beach is nice sandy and well maintained . We visited the other hotel in the area for lunch and drinks, but found the Crowne plaza fitted out needs.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Adam B, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Muscat, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2013

Thank you for the kind review on TripAdvisor. The views are wonderful and I am glad that you got to experience them from our Sea View Balcony rooms. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back to the Crowne Plaza Muscat in the near future.

Reviewed April 5, 2013

LOCATION: We are a family of 4 and chose the hotel because we wanted a beach front hotel, and being raised up on Qrum Heights, the views west along the coast from here are better than the other hotels in Muscat. It is expensive but marginally less so that some of the other 5 star beach hotels.

ROOMS: The rooms are good, although showing some signs of aging such as stiff taps and slightly tired looking furniture. However, everything worked, and the free wi-fi in the rooms worked fine. Having booked an Executive Sea Facing room I was surprised at how small it was. On the booking it said 35 sqm but with a sliding door for the bathroom, and a very shallow cupboard it seemed very cramped. We had arrived late one night so I only queried it the next morning when the hotel agreed to move us, but as we were already fully unpacked we decided to stay put. It is fair enough that we were then offered a change of rooms, but I was just disappointed they had not mentioned the fact that the room was smaller than the others at check-in, and I suspect they don't generally volunteer this information.

FOOD: Decent breakfast buffet as you would expect for this type of hotel. We had the evening buffet 2 nights which was also good quality, and reasonably good value.

AMENITIES: Other than the pool and health club/spa there is not a great deal else offered. The hotel has its own small private beach, and it would have been nice to see boat trips, sailing boat hire etc from here, as other hotels offer. We organized our own trips from elsewhere.

Room Tip: If you want a sea facing room avoid room 102, 202, 302, 402, 502 and 602 as these are all "extr...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank 0123Dave

Thank you for posting your comments on our hotel. Our location is certainly great and we aim to compliment this with good service and hospitality, as for an up to date product there are plans for some refurbishments during the summer months to ensure we provide this to our guests. We hope that you and your family choose to return to stay with us during future stays in Muscat.

Reviewed April 5, 2013

We had a Saturday evening bbq buffet at the Crowne Plaza and enjoyed it very much - sitting on the terrace. This is the best hotel location in Muscat with a wonderful view over the sweep of the bay with the mountains behind. The food was good - the desserts a little disappointing as they were very samey - most small cakes.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your comments on TripAdvisor. We most certainly we do have great sea views of the Gulf of Oman, I am please you could join us for the BBQ dinner in the evening where views from the Terrace are wonderful. I am glad that you had an enjoyable stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.