“Will definitely visit again!”

Crowne Plaza Muscat
Ranked #6 of 52 Hotels in Muscat
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Will definitely visit again!”
Reviewed January 27, 2013

Great service, good restaurants, beautiful sunset, & a perfect location. Fun times at Zouk Club & Duke's Bar. The Crowne plaza is a good hotel for your first encounter with Muscat! Highly recommended...Enjoy!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Salwa A
Adam B, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Muscat, responded to this review, January 27, 2013
Thank you for your kind comments on TripAdvisor. I am delighted that you had a wonderful stay with us and certainly look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (421)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Dubai
Reviewed January 25, 2013

This is the best hotel in Muscat. Our group has now been staying for over a year and we love this hotel. It is like our second home. The rooms are well maintained, whenever we have to ask housekeeping they are fast. Front office is excellent in their part! Laith, Ajith, Basma are so wonderfull.

The pool are very well maintained, What we like is the umbrellas cleaned so often and make the place look fresh! Sameh is doing an excellent job there.

Food is out of the world!!! Breakfast you have so many options that you dont need to find anything else. Always so many choices. Thursday roast at dukes - is good. The theme nights we never miss on both the occasion and Sameer never misses to keep our table even when we dont book. He is a quiet person but he knows what he is doing. He makes sure that the staff is always around and taking care of us. We have heard that he is leaving, which isnt a good news - pls have him on your team - he is an asset to Tropicana - and Tropicana is different when he is not around!!!

Cheers to all the Staff and management - You all are Excellent -

Arab Gulf Education Team :)

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Adam B, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Muscat, responded to this review, February 17, 2013
Dear Arab Gulf Education Team,
Many thanks for your kind comments on TripAdvisor. It is great to hear that you have had such a wonderful stay with us and that we are like your second home. I have passed your comments on to all the colleagues that you have complimented which is great to see. We hope to be able to welcome the Arab Gulf Education Team back to the Crowne Plaza Muscat in the near future.
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed January 24, 2013

We went back to stay for our second visit, as the first had been relaxed, and fun, with different restaurants to eat in without having to leave the hotel.
We had balcony rooms overlooking the beach, swimming pool and the restaurants. Whilst smaller than the rooms with no balcony, it was good to have the outside space to enjoy.
The staff were as friendly and helpful as before and remembered us - always nice.
The Iranian restaurant is worth a visit and in particular try the mint/rosewater/saffron tea, made by Fadi, a great stomach settler.
Oman is expensive, and the Crowne Plaza is no exception. But no more so that any of the other hotels in Muscat.

Room Tip: If you want an undisturbed night, perhaps a balcony room is not to be recommended overlooking the sw...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Juliet D
Dear Juliet,
Many thanks for your kind comments and taking the time to post your review. I am glad that you had a good stay with us and certainly hope to welcome you back to the Crowne Plaza Muscat soon.
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Stayed in this hotel for six nights and it to be very expensive but this is normal for this area.The room I stayed in was a sea view club room on the top floor (6th) . I am glad i did not take lower floor as there is a patio area where the people in the bar come out and noise is wuite bad as had to complain at 1.30 AM. The room are a little dated and the bathroom is very small anybody with a family would struggle. The staff were polite and helpful.The food was average what you would expect for **** hotel The club loung is quite small but good happy hours. I feel all in all this is a very expensive hotel as it is on the beach but does not give good value for money.

Room Tip: Take room on city side if you peace without view or tka room on high floor with view of sea
1 Thank stevecave
Thank you for your comments. I have shared your review with the management for careful consideration. I hope that we are able to welcome you back to our hotel very soon.
Pontypool, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Excellent for westerners. Good selection of good restaurants (especially the Iranian one). A bar that is like a pub, not hotel lobby type and which also does good food. Excellent friendly staff and a comfortable and clean room. Would definitely stay again

Room Tip: Beach views are better
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Many thanks for your kind review; I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and we certainly hope you choose to stay with us on your next visit to Muscat.
Great Missenden, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We had two stays of 3 and 4 days. Could not have been better, good room, great view, good choice of food, wonderfully attentive staff.
Charlotte on reception could not have done more to ensure we had a great holiday away form all the snow in UK.

Room Tip: Try and get a sea view.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor. I have passed on your wonderful comments to the relevant departments and we are delighted that you had a wonderful stay with us and hope to be able to welcome you back in the near future.
cpl1775
Reviewed January 19, 2013

I stayed 5 nights total, and was very (very very) pleased with not only the location (which everyone loves), but also with the property itself, my room, and especially the staff. Here I'll cover not only the hotel, but some things about Muscat. I was a woman traveling alone on leisure, so hopefully these insights will be good for others in the same boat.

Room: My room overlooked the beach but was not a balcony room. I was upgraded at the hotel, which was a nice surprise. The bed was HUGE, the amenities plentiful, robes, slippers, 8 pillows, an aromatherapy kit, etc etc. The bathroom was ample, so maybe I got one of the renovated rooms since others had mentioned their bathrooms were dated. I know they were working on the 6th floor while I was there, so maybe they're still upgrading. There were plenty of tv channels showing all sorts of movies, lots of them in English. I was never at a loss for tv, though admittedly I didn't watch much television.

Property: the property sits on a beach overlook, and to get to the private beach you have to go down a ton of stairs, but it's worth it. I mention the stairs in case you have trouble with them, because that's the only way to get down there. The pool is ample for lap swimming, and there's plenty of outdoor seating around the pool and property to enjoy those nice Omani evenings.

Restaurants: I ate at the Shiraz (a Persian restaurant) and the bar, both of which were fantastic. At Shiraz, be sure to try the pistachio saffron ice cream, and at the bar, try the camel burger, as it's delicious. I didn't try the Italian restaurant, but others said it was good. Breakfast is in the Tropicana bar and has both outdoor and indoor seating. The breakfast is awesome, but I'll address that in a moment.

Staff: What a great staff. The reception desk is staffed by people from Oman, other Gulf states, Europe, all of it. As a woman traveling alone, I had questions about safety, culture, and making sure I somehow didn't offend the Omani's, and the desk staff was great about answering it all. Restaurant staff remember your name when you go to different restaurants, and after the first day there, I was always addressed by name wherever I went in the hotel. Very hospitable.

Breakfast: It's worth it to pay the extra amount and get a room + breakfast package, as the breakfast is huge and fills you up for hours. Made to order omelets, tons of fruit, cheeses, baked goods, cereals, yogurts, other hot foods (baked beans, eggs, sausages, veggies, etc) and so much more. I found that I ate breakfast around 7:30 and wasn't really hungry again until dinner (with the help of a protein bar mid-day). I actually saved money by getting the package deal and paying a little more for the room + breakfast package.

Tips: A) Try the Turkish Coffee at the hotel (they have it at breakfast, too). It's well done, and if you aren't accustomed to Turkish Coffee, tell them you want it sweet (as many folks find it unpalatable the first time w/o the sugar). B) The taxi's from the hotel give you a fare deal, but taxi's anywhere else require bartering. As a single white woman, they doubled (or even tripled) the price when they saw me coming, so don't be afraid to haggle. C) the front desk staff know the hours of operation to all the sights, so ask them before you make final plans, because Muscat tends to shut down daily between 1-5pm. D) Go down to the beach when the tide is out and you can walk on sandy beaches w/ AWESOME shells all the way over to the corniche--it's pretty cool.

Muscat tips: Def go to the souq, but be ready to barter since they raise the prices pretty good on tourists (as expected). I went by myself and paid 10 O.R. for two small bags of frankincense; returned w/ an Omani friend and got about 3x that amount and a better quality for 20 O.R. Many taxi drivers will go w/ you to the souq and help you get a good deal, just remember to thank them monetarily. For taxi's, I was told that they already raise the price, so no tip is needed. In restaurants the service fee is usually already included in the bill. Most of the taxi drivers I had were totally fun and awesome, and if I asked, they'd take me random places that other tourists don't go (thus how I ended up playing with camels, seeing old palace ruins in the middle of nowhere, etc). So ask the taxi drivers where THEY would go to see something cool. They'll take you (and even have you over to their house for dinner with their families, as happened to me--and it was delicious). Omani hospitality was amazing, so don't assume people are trying to take advantage of you. I found that in every case, the person was genuinely being helpful and nice, and expected nothing more than a sincere thank you. And a Shukran here and there goes an awfully long ways!

Room Tip: Overlooking the beach is beautiful, but the traffic noise from the corniche down below can get loud...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
8 Thank cpl1775
Thank you for your wonderful comments. Our location certainly is great location which makes our hotel unique. I am glad that you enjoyed every aspect of your stay with us, the breakfast is delightful and as for our staff and service we strive to achieve this high level of service and I am glad that you experienced this. We hope that you will visit us again soon.